Crime In Downtown

citykid09

article

Four more homicides were recorded in March of 2007 than in 2006, the first increase since a noticeable decline in killings began last fall.

Unofficially, Houston police counted 34 homicides in March compared with 30 for the same period in 2006, authorities said.

Although police say homicides are still down overall, the recent uptick has caught the attention of law enforcement after a recent spike of at least 11 killings in less than one week narrowed the gap between this year and 2006

IMO any person that is murdered is a loss.

i can understand being someone that is murdered is likely to have a very bad year and ruin thier social lives for the forseeable future.

but the fact is that the odds of you being murdered is higher in a domestic fight as opposed to to just some random shooting.

i'm not saying someone getting killed is not a tragedy (some more tragic than others), but like i said in a number of other threads; just be vigilant about your surroundings.

i can understand being someone that is murdered is likely to have a very bad year and ruin thier social lives for the forseeable future.

but the fact is that the odds of you being murdered is higher in a domestic fight as opposed to to just some random shooting.

i'm not saying someone getting killed is not a tragedy (some more tragic than others), but like i said in a number of other threads; just be vigilant about your surroundings.

the stats are for all murders not just certain types. at the end of the day each is another notch on the total.

to say that someone that is murdered is likely to have a very bad year and ruin thier social lives for the forseeable future is definitely an understatement.

the stats are for all murders not just certain types. at the end of the day each is another notch on the total.

to say that someone that is murdered is likely to have a very bad year and ruin thier social lives for the forseeable future is definitely an understatement.

Well, I know that if *I* got murdered, it would definitely ruin my day.

That's correct: the stats are for ALL murders but there is no context for it. As tough as it is to acknowledge it, all crimes aren't a danger to all people. There are very few "serial" murderers out in the city of Houston.

Again, as I've said on another thread, Murder is a VERY personal crime and a high percentage of people involved know eachother in one way or another.

That's correct: the stats are for ALL murders but there is no context for it.

i guess i still don't understand what you mean that there is no context for it. the article simply stated that the homicide rate when up in march. how would arguing the context change the intent of the article?

What I mean by context is a breakdown of the actual deaths.

Murder/suicide

domestic

robbery

Car Jacking

Drug deal gone bad

Gang Fight

Weather

Time of day

etc..

If you break it down to statistics you can see a true crime pattern and see where and when the problems occur. Unless you're a sociopath (gangs and serial killers usually fall under this category), people generally kill for a reason, the trick is to find the reasoning behind them.

Believe it or not, even weather has an effect on murder rates. Everything has a reasoning behind it, statistically you just have to be willing to break it down to find it.

What I mean by context is a breakdown of the actual deaths.

Murder/suicide

domestic

robbery

Car Jacking

Drug deal gone bad

Gang Fight

Weather

Time of day

etc..

If you break it down to statistics you can see a true crime pattern and see where and when the problems occur. Unless you're a sociopath (gangs and serial killers usually fall under this category), people generally kill for a reason, the trick is to find the reasoning behind them.

Believe it or not, even weather has an effect on murder rates. Everything has a reasoning behind it, statistically you just have to be willing to break it down to find it.

so are you attempting to refute the homicide increase in March?

• 9 months later...

I've been watching two fires in the near distance out of my north-facing window downtown. I checked here to see what they might be, and saw this listing as well:

FDALLEN PKWY BLK WAUGH493J02/01/2008 13:22Highrise on FireN

Don't know anything more about any of them, and the two to the north look like they're now out or close to out.

One may be this one:

FDN LOOP AIRLINE DR 453P02/01/2008 13:30111 FireN

Don't know what a "111" fire is.

I'm guessing this is the closest fire I see:

PD/FD CROCKETT ST HOGAN F 02/01/2008 13:31 Y

UPDATE: The two to the north are both out now. If I see anything on the news sites, I'll post it - otherwise, guess I'll just have to watch the news tonight.

Yeah - KTRH just said the one on the bayou at Crockett/Hogan was just a grass fire, and the one at Airline was a house fire. No word on the "highrise" fire on Allen Pkwy at Waugh, but I never saw anything out that direction.

Was too quick in posting this - should have waited to hear the news at the top of the hour... And should probably stop staring out the windows so much...

Yeah - KTRH just said the one on the bayou at Crockett/Hogan was just a grass fire, and the one at Airline was a house fire. No word on the "highrise" fire on Allen Pkwy at Waugh, but I never saw anything out that direction.

Was too quick in posting this - should have waited to hear the news at the top of the hour... And should probably stop staring out the windows so much...

I think calling the fire on White Oak bayou and Crockett a grassfire is a bunch of carp. It had thick black smoke when it started, like something oily was burning. I don't think grassfires look like this thing when they start.

I think calling the fire on White Oak bayou and Crockett a grassfire is a bunch of carp. It had thick black smoke when it started, like something oily was burning. I don't think grassfires look like this thing when they start.

I also saw some pretty thick, black smoke - pretty intense looking for a grass fire

• 3 months later...