Texas Central Project

MaxConcrete

37 minutes ago, Triton said:

Feels like we wouldn't even have NASA or subway systems if they didn't already exist. Feels like anything that is a major project is now a boondoggle and I don't feel like NIMBYism existed 100 years ago as it does today.

The CA HSR project is probably the most ambitious major/infrastructure project in United States in the last 25 years.  I think the Space Shuttle Program was the last major project in the United States that had an impact on multiple states.  Yeah I'm excluding military projects before someone chimes in...

5 minutes ago, gmac said:

Disagree. I have no problem with necessary projects like early NASA and other infrastructure that served a large segment of society. You're comparing those with a vanity high-speed rail connection between two cities that are already pretty effectively connected.

Your personal judgement as to whether this is "necessary" is not some sort of objective truth. Yes, there is already transportation available between the two cities; this project would increase the capacity of that connection. Just like the interstate. And air travel. It might be a mode you wouldn't personally use, but that doesn't make this a vanity project or a boondoggle. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Texasota said:

Your personal judgement as to whether this is "necessary" is not some sort of objective truth. Yes, there is already transportation available between the two cities; this project would increase the capacity of that connection. Just like the interstate. And air travel. It might be a mode you wouldn't personally use, but that doesn't make this a vanity project or a boondoggle. 

Duly noted.

20 hours ago, Some one said:

Let's be honest, today's America wouldn't have built the interstate system.

In today's America, Eisenhower would have been run out of the Republican party on a rail long before the interstate system got past the blue-sky phase.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

In today's America, Eisenhower would have been run out of the Republican party on a rail long before the interstate system got past the blue-sky phase.  

By todays standards, Ike was a commie pinko.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

In my book, the Texas HSR is vastly more necessary and valuable as an example than it will be as a direct benefit to the travelers of Texas, though the benefits there are huge as well. We desperately need a modern high speed rail SOMEWHERE in this country to get built and show people it can be successful, and that might as well be here in Texas.

Speaking for me personally, I travel to Dallas a few times a year and I hate - HATE - that drive. Something about it is just awful to me in a way that going to Austin or San Antonio isn't. Now that Southwest's prices aren't as competitive as they once were, and with airport shenanigans shaving off basically all the time saved by not driving, I know I would be seriously considering taking the HSR if it were an option.

• Like 5

We need to stay competitive in the world and the United States is severely behind in the high speed rail market. Just imagine if America could be a world leader and start exporting this technology to other countries as many Asian countries currently do. Until we catch up, we will have to rely on Asia.

And I think Texas's approach to high speed rail is hands down the best. Let private industry come to the forefront on this endeavor. Private companies are, imo, much better at keeping the cost down. Look at California... it got so expensive they've had to outright cancel major parts of it. 

As I said earlier in this thread and I'll say it again, just because you don't drive or fly between Dallas and here, doesn't mean others don't. CBRE frequently flew hundreds between Dallas and Houston and that's just one company. There are thousands of companies that do the same. Even if regular people don't use this, business will because they see it as a quicker way of getting from point A to B since you don't have to go through the same waits and checkpoints as you currently do at airports.

That's critical because many times we had people fly in the morning, go through conferences and meetings throughout the day, and then sent them back home later that evening. And every employee said the samething that had those travel days... it's not fun when you have to go through the airport. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Andrew Ewert said:

Speaking for me personally, I travel to Dallas a few times a year and I hate - HATE - that drive. Something about it is just awful to me in a way that going to Austin or San Antonio isn't. 

I take it you're not a fan of the buffet at Sam's in Fairfield.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Triton said:

That's critical because many times we had people fly in the morning, go through conferences and meetings throughout the day, and then sent them back home later that evening. And every employee said the samething that had those travel days... it's not fun when you have to go through the airport. 

Even worse my gf had to fly the night before to Dallas for meetings because she wanted to make sure she was available for clients on the East coast.   The train would be fairly seamless in that she wouldn't need to put her laptop/phone away and could work comfortably on the way to Dallas.  Also don't forget about those summer thunderstorms that can wreck flight schedules.  I've ridden on the TGV, ICE, and Shinkansen, for me it's my preferred way to travel given the option.  

Edited by BeerNut
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
17 minutes ago, gmac said:

I knew the rascals who are trying to build that rail line would get their snouts in the trough. Why spend your own money when you can snag it from Uncle Sugar!

They aren't ones the pushing for this. The federal government are already trying to spend this money. Nowhere in that article does anyone currently associated with the project push for federal money. And look, Biden and his cronies up in Washington seem intent on spending that trillion dollars anyway. Don't want them to? Contact your local representatives and voice your displeasure at this trillion plus dollar infrastructure bill and the tax hikes they are trying to push through. And if the bill does go through, if the government wants to send money to this project, let them; they'll spend it either way, so it might as well go to something with a chance of succeeding, rather than some other boondoggle.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Big E said:

voice your displeasure at this trillion plus dollar infrastructure bill and the tax hikes they are trying to push through.

Nope. I think the bill is much needed to repair our crumbling infrastructure nationwide.

I just don't want to spend money on a fairy-dust land grab. You can bet I have already been in touch, since this boondoggle first came into being.

21 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

Would be nice if the feds kicked in to extend the line all the way to downtown...or Galveston. 

It would be nice to have HSR to Galveston, but I don't think the passenger volumes would be there.  The next leg I see from Houston is to New Orleans - a 5 hour car trip condensed down into a 2 hour train ride, with people from both Houston & Dallas being potential customers (transfer in Houston)

The other two lines are the 35 corridor, though getting the ROW would be hard, and from Houston to San Antonio

• Like 1

I forgot to post this from a while back.  

Texas Central Railroad High-Speed Rail Safety Standards

This final rule of particular applicability (RPA) establishes safety standards for the Texas Central Railroad (TCRR or the railroad) high-speed rail (HSR) system. These standards are not intended for general application in the railroad industry, but apply only to the TCRR system planned for development in the State of Texas. This rule takes a systems approach to safety, and so includes standards that address the aspects of the TCRR HSR system consistent with the regulatory framework for the general system, but in a manner appropriate to TCRR's technology and application, including signal and trainset control, track, rolling stock, operating practices, system qualifications, and maintenance. The TCRR HSR system is planned to operate from Houston to Dallas, on dedicated track, with no grade crossings, at speeds not to exceed 330 km/h (205 mph). The TCRR rolling stock, track, and core systems will replicate the Tokaido Shinkansen HSR system operated by the Central Japan Railway Company (JRC), and will be used exclusively for revenue passenger service.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2021 at 11:31 AM, gmac said:

Nope. I think the bill is much needed to repair our crumbling infrastructure nationwide.

Then I don't really see what your problem is then.

On 4/6/2021 at 11:31 AM, gmac said:

I just don't want to spend money on a fairy-dust land grab.

This isn't a land grab in any real sense. The only land being taken will be for a railway easement, which isn't much land in the grand scheme of things and it would only ever be used for a railway. If the rail isn't built, the land remains untouched. I don't see how this would be anymore of a boondoggle than anything else the government would spend the money on.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Big E said:

Then I don't really see what your problem is then.

This isn't a land grab in any real sense. The only land being taken will be for a railway easement, which isn't much land in the grand scheme of things and it would only ever be used for a railway. If the rail isn't built, the land remains untouched. I don't see how this would be anymore of a boondoggle than anything else the government would spend the money on.

The problem? Seriously? The infrastructure bill should focus on addressing current issues.

https://abc13.com/high-speed-train-houston-dallas-bullet/10519504/

The complaint says that Central Japan Railway Co.'s Tokaido Shinkansen HSR technology won't run on any other tracks and no other trains can run on its tracks, and therefore won't support the existing national rail network.

Imagine believing this is a valid argument lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

Isn't that part of the point?  Surely they aren't under some delusion that freight service should be able to accompany it... (***epic eye roll***)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mollusk said:

Isn't that part of the point?  Surely they aren't under some delusion that freight service should be able to accompany it... (***epic eye roll***)

Roflmao...no, they aren't under any delusions.  This is just another form of the "Bridge of Death" argument.  Next we'll hear HSR endangers fire ants.

Fortunately, once you reach the "Bridge of Death" stage in your arguments you're already riding a banana peal on a downward slope.  Just ask Walmart.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 12:17 PM, BigFootsSocks said:

For the dim and true believers, yes its an argument. We also have to remember most of the "holdout's" aren't holdouts for ideological reasons, or those of passion, but because they believe their land is worth way more than market value, or they believe they can get more. Its like breaking a safe or a wall, all it takes is time and leverage. Media cover it to get clicks, politicians jump on the bandwagon to up their cred with constituents, but once leverage has broken the wall, media finds a better story, and politicians find another person to squeeze at that point its just the dim and true believers to stand in the way, and eventually they will become irrelevant as the winds of change blow them away as well, and they too fold.

Still bullish on this project. If it was able to weather The Coff, and it has, then it should be just fine.

20 hours ago, BeerNut said:

Evidence that its doing fine.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Luminare said:

For the dim and true believers, yes its an argument. We also have to remember most of the "holdout's" aren't holdouts for ideological reasons, or those of passion, but because they believe their land is worth way more than market value, or they believe they can get more. Its like breaking a safe or a wall, all it takes is time and leverage. Media cover it to get clicks, politicians jump on the bandwagon to up their cred with constituents, but once leverage has broken the wall, media finds a better story, and politicians find another person to squeeze at that point its just the dim and true believers to stand in the way, and eventually they will become irrelevant as the winds of change blow them away as well, and they too fold.

Still bullish on this project. If it was able to weather The Coff, and it has, then it should be just fine.

Evidence that its doing fine.

I think I'll get together with a few friends and run a railway right through your living room. You surely wouldn't object to that, would you? It would be progress, after all!

Asked a question gmac already sorta answered.

What it clearly comes down to is that most people agree with the concept of acquiring private property for the purpose of infrastructure projects *if* those projects are worth it. We just can't agree on which projects are worth it and which ones are "boondoggles" (or actively destructive to communities, the environment, etc).

Edited by Texasota
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, gmac said:

I think I'll get together with a few friends and run a railway right through your living room. You surely wouldn't object to that, would you? It would be progress, after all!

Except this isn't running through living rooms, but fields. Nobody's losing their house over this. When it goes through populated areas, it will follow existing rail corridors, and when its traveling through the country, no one's house will be in the way.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Big E said:

Except this isn't running through living rooms, but fields. Nobody's losing their house over this. When it goes through populated areas, it will follow existing rail corridors, and when its traveling through the country, no one's house will be in the way.

But the point is, you're taking their property for a private entity. Whether it's land or a building doesn't matter. Now if TCR was willing to pony up $100 million an acre, I'm sure people who are currently opposed might listen.

• Like 1