Aris At Market Square: 32-Story High-Rise At 409 Travis St.

Mab

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2014 at 3:27 PM, adr said:

This is a close-up of the retail sales brochure for Frank's Pizza Tower.  Notice the pocket park extending to Main (very cool).  Do you think that the Barringer Building (Clutch City Square) is not shown because of the height of the State National Building, or is this notice that they plan to tear it down?

15904525057_efed43e2b8_z.jpgFrank's Pizza Tower Retail Map by differentryana, on Flickr

So this pocket park paid for by Hines will be for the general public? If so, that's awesome!

• Like 1

Chi, if this is like every other Hines project I've ever seen I wouldn't worry too much about that.  Then again...

panhandle.jpg

Edited by mollusk
(edit: sooner or later I'll figure out how to attach things correctly on the first try)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chi-Char-Hou-Dal said:

Bums downtown are already fighting for first dips on the pocket park. Not trying to start WWIII on HAIF regarding bums downtown but some measures must be put in place to make the pocket park safe.

Can't wait though - not trolling.

It's private property and they can be lead elsewhere.

edit: I think it is, too lazy to look it up.

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

My only complaint is I wish that they would have stuck with the same dark brown brick that's on the bottom throughout the building.  The light brown brick looks too much like stuco... lovely building though!

Couldn't agree more.  Not sure why the switch (I'm assuming money since that's the name of the game) but it still looks good.  Just would have looked that much better if they kept that same theme as the base. Oh well, going to be a great addition to downtown.  Can't wait for the next batch of res to go up!

• Like 1

On December 25, 2016 at 7:25 AM, HoustonIsHome said:

Oh my gosh,  we got two residential gems downtown this passed cycle. And both in Market Square.  

I hope next cycle we get even more gems that are as sensitive to theor surroundings as these two. 

We actually got six new residential towers during this cycle if you count the two sky house, the Marlowe, and the Catalyst.

I know you emphasized "gems", but in terms of downtown living I count all six as a plus. The court's still out on The Marlowe, but I'm sure the Catalyst will be as nice in its neighborhood as the Ari's is for Market Square. The two Sky House towers are great infill and create a density along with the other apartments either finished or still under construction in that neighborhood, built around the rail. I know its way overused, but I do think this cycle downtown was a major tipping point. 

• Like 5

On 1/16/2017 at 3:20 PM, nate4l1f3 said:

My only complaint is I wish that they would have stuck with the same dark brown brick that's on the bottom throughout the building.  The light brown brick looks too much like stuco... lovely building though!

On 1/16/2017 at 7:53 PM, brijonmang said:

Couldn't agree more.  Not sure why the switch (I'm assuming money since that's the name of the game) but it still looks good.  Just would have looked that much better if they kept that same theme as the base. Oh well, going to be a great addition to downtown.  Can't wait for the next batch of res to go up!

The darker brick speaks to the nearby buildings, and tops out about where they do.  The lighter brick gives it a bit of a break, speaks to the taller buildings from the 20s - 40s, and makes it feel less massive over Market Square.  YMMV, but I like it.

• Like 8