What Is Holding Downtown Down

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to slap you down, but shade and sun are WAY different.

I understand that they're different, I just don't think that shade is a significant differentiator in terms of encouraging downtown retail.  It is hot and humid during the Houston summer and it impacts people's willingness to shop outside during that time of year.  Even if you have shade, you're not going to find a lot of people that are willing to window shop at 99 degrees.

I fully expect to now get a lot of people saying "I shop outside when it's 99 degrees, that's fine, just recognize that you're an outlier and there are very few businesses that can survive on outliers.

The funny thing about this whole conversation is that there are a lot of complaints about why there isn't more retail in downtown.  I provided a link to an article stating that a population of 15,000-20,000 is needed to support downtown retail.  The current downtown population isn't that big, hence the reluctance to open retail.

The rest of the posts seem to be about, well - the midtown population should count, the east end population should count, shade should make it better.  The answer really seems to be, as the downtown population continues to increase and gets closer to that 15-20k number, retailers will start to get interested in downtown.

It will. I was in Bermuda a couple of weeks ago and it was 98 with 100% humidity.

That would give a heat index of 181. No way it was that hot with that humidity. Another baseless claim.

It will. I was in Bermuda a couple of weeks ago and it was 98 with 100% humidity. However when you walk in the shade it is quite tolerable. Also many of the buildings there left windows open, probably due to the high cost of electricity. I think society here is so hooked on A/C they don't think of the small nuances.

Fair enough, let me ask a slightly different series of questions.  When the temp is 98 with 100% humidity, I think that it is safe to say that pretty much anyone will perspire significantly whether they are in the shade or not.  Let's put this in the context of a clothing store.

When perspiring in the heat, do you?

- Feel like trying on clothes?

- Want to try on clothes that were tried on by someone else that was perspiring significantly?

- As a business owner, want a lot of people that are perspiring significantly to be trying on your clothes?

Fair enough, let me ask a slightly different series of questions.  When the temp is 98 with 100% humidity, I think that it is safe to say that pretty much anyone will perspire significantly whether they are in the shade or not.  Let's put this in the context of a clothing store.

- Want to try on clothes that were tried on by someone else that was perspiring significantly?

- As a business owner, want a lot of people that are perspiring significantly to be trying on your clothes?

Yea I agree whenever the temperature is 98 and the humidity is 100% shade will not make much of a difference. Its like the whole city is an oven. 

Yea I agree whenever the temperature is 98 and the humidity is 100% shade will not make much of a difference. Its like the whole city is an oven. 

It makes a huge difference. Not having the blaring sun on you makes it tolerable to walk around and not miserable.

Are the only types of stores clothing stores? And I do agree you will perspire significantly even in the shade.

I agree. I start sweating as it is in any store in any mall, those freaking track lights are baking my innerds. When I worked at a store in the Woodlands Mall my senior year of High School, I secretly made paper towel diapers under my arms. Maybe I just run hotter than the average person, but it is really hot in some of those stores with lower ceilings. Couldn't imagine being outside as well. Get me a towel.

It makes a huge difference. Not having the blaring sun on you makes it tolerable to walk around and not miserable.

Are the only types of stores clothing stores? And I do agree you will perspire significantly even in the shade.

I guess I kind of exaggerated a bit. It is hotter when your out in the sun in plain sight but the humidity does makes the environment feel hot and sticky either when the sun is out or not, its very unpleasant.  

The good news is, we never have that combination of temp and humidity, or anything very close to it.

(For example, right now, a typical August afternoon, the temp is 96 and the humidity is 42%.)

Thanks.  I was told when I was younger that 100% humidity meant rain. 

I was told the same thing growing up but isn't entirely true. The atmosphere can be completely saturated and holding the maximum amount of water vapor without falling as rain.

Guys.. Haven't you ever seen the SunSetter® retractable awning commercials? The shade can be up to 20* cooler than being out in direct sunlight. We just need to line the main streets with a bunch of SunSetters.
In all serious, I do like those horizontal extendable roman shades. Maybe some of the more popular areas like around Main Street square/market square/central station could use them?

RomanShades2.jpg

The-Grand-Del-Mar-Horizontal-Roman-Shade

living downtown works great when you work downtown.

Would totally disagree. I live near downtown and I work in Sugarland. It's the best commute since the traffic is always going in the opposite direction.

Would totally disagree. I live near downtown and I work in Sugarland. It's the best commute since the traffic is always going in the opposite direction.

You disagree that living downtown is good when you work downtown?? Why?

You quoted samagon and in that exact same post he praised the virtues of a reverse commute such as that.

I think downtown needs to focus on the small things as well. Things to put on the sidewalk for people to interact with (i.e. The word "BIG" without the "I" in downtown Dallas for photos) and lights on the buildings that aren't white or yellow and of course street level retail.

I think downtown needs to focus on the small things as well. Things to put on the sidewalk for people to interact with (i.e. The word "BIG" without the "I" in downtown Dallas for photos) and lights on the buildings that aren't white or yellow and of course street level retail.

What downtown should do first is to get retail up at the surface by taking out the tunnels, but I doubt that would happen.

What downtown should do first is to get retail up at the surface by taking out the tunnels, but I doubt that would happen.

what if they converted the tunnel system into a subway system? pretty far out and i think its too compact of an area to work efficiently, but then again i doubt theyre going to ever close off tunnel system either. (supposably Dallas is trying to close their tunnel system to bring more pedestrian activity up to street level).

what if they converted the tunnel system into a subway system? pretty far out and i think its too compact of an area to work efficiently, but then again i doubt theyre going to ever close off tunnel system either. (supposably Dallas is trying to close their tunnel system to bring more pedestrian activity up to street level).

I had no idea Dallas had one too. I really would wish they would close off the tunnels to bring life where it really needs it, out in the open so downtown does't look dead.

I had no idea Dallas had one too. I really would wish they would close off the tunnels to bring life where it really needs it, out in the open so downtown does't look dead.

If the Tunnel system closed we would have the same vacancy as Downtown Dallas. Better access and openings are what our system needs. Unless they build that giant dome and A/C it.

Archived