Shell Westhollow Campus In The Woodlands

lockmat

Also, with regards to The Woodlands being the next energy corridor, not exactly. It seems that most of the upstream companies are moving north whereas a lot of the midstream and oilfield services companies are moving out west. BP is in Katy, as is Conoco (vicinity, at least), but outside of those two, there aren't a lot of independent upstream players.

In The Woodlands and surrounding areas you have Southwestern Energy, Exxon, Anadarko, Independence, Arena Energy, Knight Resources, Talisman, Baker Hughes, Epic Energy, Bridas Energy, Capstone Energy, and then companies like Tetra Tech, Newpark, Elliot O&G, Beacon Nat Gas, and some other services companies. That's not to mention the petrochem companies flocking here, like AmericasStyrenics, Nexeo, et al. I don't think we'll match the size of the energy corridor, but I definitely think upstream has taken root. Also, upstream typically pays far more than mid or downstream companies due to the spread of the margins.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Conroe Airport expansion. Would allow 737's to use the airport. Not a bad option if you need a place to house your gulfstreams...

http://app1.kuhf.org/articles/1381755046-How-Montgomery-County-Airport-Expansion-Could-Bring-More-Business-Travelers.html

1) there isn't a closer airport to the woodlands/spring than Conroe?

2) if there is, (even if not, Conroe is a large enough city) how is/was that airport not able to handle 737s? The tiny airport in the town where my parents live (Lake Jackson, pop 25,000) can handle 737s..

1) there isn't a closer airport to the woodlands/spring than Conroe?

2) if there is, (even if not, Conroe is a large enough city) how is/was that airport not able to handle 737s? The tiny airport in the town where my parents live (Lake Jackson, pop 25,000) can handle 737s..

The Lake Jackson/Angleton runway is 7,000 feet long, Conroe is 6,000 feet. The extra length makes a difference in allowable take off weights, etc. As an aside, the "737"

landing at Lake Jackson are probably Airbus A319 jets owned by Dow.

The Lake Jackson/Angleton runway is 7,000 feet long, Conroe is 6,000 feet. The extra length makes a difference in allowable take off weights, etc. As an aside, the "737"

landing at Lake Jackson are probably Airbus A319 jets owned by Dow.

Ah, didn't realize the length was that much longer at the LJ airport. that still doesn't explain why an economic powerhouse like the woodlands/spring area doesn't have an airport capable of handling 737s, or Conroe just now expanding to handle them. Surely the presence of all the oil/gas companies in that area is larger then the Dow presence in Lake Jackson..

And the Dow jets are some type of CanadaAir planes now. Maybe CL 600s or CRJ 700s? They used to fly 737s out of LJ but switched over to the CanadaAir jets for some reason.

Ah, didn't realize the length was that much longer at the LJ airport. that still doesn't explain why an economic powerhouse like the woodlands/spring area doesn't have an airport capable of handling 737s, or Conroe just now expanding to handle them. Surely the presence of all the oil/gas companies in that area is larger then the Dow presence in Lake Jackson..

Probably has something to do with the proximity of Bush Intercontinental.

Seems silly. You think United or the Houston Airport System is going to allow CXO to compromise service at the big airport? I think not. Next thing you know, Smeisk will punish IAH and take away our entire domestic network---especially after the tantrum he threw over Hobby. Not to mention that there is Hooks airport that can accomodate large jets. But if you're going to go to Hooks, why not just go to IAH?

Seems silly. You think United or the Houston Airport System is going to allow CXO to compromise service at the big airport? I think not. Next thing you know, Smeisk will punish IAH and take away our entire domestic network---especially after the tantrum he threw over Hobby. Not to mention that there is Hooks airport that can accomodate large jets. But if you're going to go to Hooks, why not just go to IAH?

I don't think anyone is talking about scheduled commercial service at Conroe/Lone Star Airport.

I could see Southwest offering select flights out of Conroe. I don't think it'd ever be a major hub or even half as big as Hobby, but catering to north side corporations would be pretty advantageous.

At the very least, allowing Exxon, Anadarko, and whatever other corporation that may move north to house their Gulfstreams and Leers at Conroe would be immense savings due to the sheer cost of the hangers at IAH. Well, maybe not Exxon since it actually would be further for them to go to Conroe.

I could see Southwest offering select flights out of Conroe. I don't think it'd ever be a major hub or even half as big as Hobby, but catering to north side corporations would be pretty advantageous.

At the very least, allowing Exxon, Anadarko, and whatever other corporation that may move north to house their Gulfstreams and Leers at Conroe would be immense savings due to the sheer cost of the hangers at IAH. Well, maybe not Exxon since it actually would be further for them to go to Conroe.

Hooks is better positioned then Conroe to cater to executive travel and it will be just off the Grand Parkway.

shell will be vacating practicaly all of two shell - approximately 400K SF. two shell will also undergo major renovations.

Just found confirmation of this.  And the weird thing is, it's not even a particularly recent development.  (SSSHHH, don't anyone let the crack real estate reporters in this town know about it.) 

It appears in Colvill's 2nd Quarter 2013 Office Market Report.  375,000 square feet being vacated by Shell in Two Shell Plaza as of January 1, 2015.  Not sure what Shell is up to, and it seems they didn't plan things out very well when they signed the lease on this space about 2 years ago, but this obviously has nothing to do with any supposed Conroe/Woodlands campus.(Interestingly, it is reported by Colvill as "direct lease", so they must have re-worked their lease with Hines.)

To add some more intrigue, Colville does not show the space as being available on the leasing website.  hmmm.  Have they already leased it?

Or a more likely scenario is that shell knew exactly what they were doing 2 years ago and negotiated the right to give back a portion of their downtown space and thus exercised that right once they knew their Woodcreek expansion would deliver on time.

Or not...

Who knows.

It's funny reading this conversation over at city data. The same arguments against this from happening were the same arguments against an Exxon campus from happening... and look what happened. A new campus.

Now this is 100% speculative and does not reflect any new information, but I think this site (wherever it may end up) will simply serve one small part of the Shell corporation, research for example. As other people have pointed out, Shell still has offices all over the city from downtown to the energy corridor. And I also highly doubt Shell will make whatever campus they do build their headquarters, just how Exxon didn't make the new campus their headquarters. I don't foresee consolidation, just expansion. 

Again, that's just my opinion.

^ This idea about Shell having employees scattered all over the city has been thrown out several times, but nobody has actually provided us with any locations.  As far as I know, Shell is now (and will be very soon) consolidated into three locations... downtown (in 3 buildings), Woodcreek, and the Technology Center at Westhollow.

Where else do they have people?

• 1 month later...

anadarko has land and plans for another tower, that much i know. shell building a 35-40 story tower out that way is news to me and would seem strange considering they are already building 800k+ on their woodcreek campus in the Energy Corridor. there were rumors of a different large o&g-related firm building a 20+ story tower on waterway but haven't heard anything on it in several months. i'll believe the shell rumors when i see something substantial. that said, the shale/o&g revolution we are experiencing is going to keep this facilities arms race going for quite some time... recruitment is a HUGE driver for these companies and with such a limited pool of qualified recruits these firms will continue to use new/state of the art facilities as a tool to lure the best and brightest. another major out west is rumored to be taking down 1M+ sf of new construction on the EC...

that 20-story waterway rumor involving a "different large o&g-related firm" was baker hughes at 10 waterway. cat's out of the bag that they're close to announcing a 500K-1MM sf build-to-suit in "springwood village" directly south of Southwestern. distictive shift in the market - no use in engaging a landlord to hose your company when you can just control the process and build yourself a la swn, exxon, shell, etc.

btw the shell rumor is still floating out there...

• 2 months later...

After reading the Chevron discussion in the Going Up forum, I was curious if anyone had any new information about Shell. I haven't asked the Kinder Morgan head in a while... Just figured I'd ask yall.

I'm pretty sure shell not going to The Woodlands building that big of a tower. I have some good inside sources that thing they are already on their 3rd 12 story off of dairy Ashford at Woodcreek and already have a 4th one sign to build after it and are having talk about actually ending up with seven or eight of the 12 story because they own the property on the other side of dairy Ashford where they just built a daycare and there's at least three aces over there. And I have also her that Anadarko is actually building a third tower even though they finshed the 2nd i believe in august

cheryl is staying at Woodcreek and expanding they're on their third building and have already signed off on the 4thwith four more in the works and also where existing face to project of the 2 6 storey are supposed to get the Roofs taking off and 6 more floors to them. plus they own all of the property on the other side of dairy Ashford and just built a daycare center there and are in the process of building their second 8th floor parking garage while getting ready 2 Tear down all of the trees that are in between their existing buildings and the daycare center which is another 3 acres. So the word is about a 12 story altogether

Wel more than a rumor for tower 3.Its put on paper and waiting for some signatures. And no its not shell because they are in the same process For they are next 4 12 story buildings. They are done with 1 & 2 fixing to be finished with the structure on 3,4 is already signed and under contractand now that work in the deals for the rEst. they are also proposing turning the two 6 storey building that were made in phase 2 into two 12 story buildings by moving everyone from nose to the building E which is the second 12 into taking the roof off the six story in adding six floors more to both of them

Archived