Grand Texas Theme Park At 23065 Highway 242

As an added bonus I would have an attraction which would give a nod to Houston's legendary sprawl which would be a maze through a collection of houses that would look the same. 

Big McMansions on the prairie

Big McMansions made of ticky-tacky

Big McMansions just the same.

Theres a Tuscan one and a Craftsman one 

and a stucco one and an open plan one

and they're all made out of ticky-tacky

and they all look just the same.

• Like 4

Big McMansions made of ticky-tacky

Big McMansions just the same.

Theres a Tuscan one and a Craftsman one

and a stucco one and an open plan one

and they're all made out of ticky-tacky

and they all look just the same.

Too funny! I sing the same thing except I change prarie to Forrest when I visit family in the woodlands.

I never noticed any of that, and I did a fair amount of traveling those years. Bush wasn't the most popular guy in the world, but I never felt any animosity against Texans in general, just specific ones who were jerks and deserved the scorn.

I did. I said I was from India for years when I went overseas to avoid confrontations. Obama was popular at the beginning but he's starting to lose favor also but not to that level.

I did. I said I was from India for years when I went overseas to avoid confrontations. Obama was popular at the beginning but he's starting to lose favor also but not to that level.

In my experience, Europeans weren't really in love with what was coming out of Texas politically, but they were still fascinated by the cowboy tradition. They were able to separate the two. Kind of like my ultra-liberal friend from Chicago that I mentioned.

Also noticed that it always helped to be from Texas when talking to women from other parts of the world, even when that women did not like Texas politics in the least. Sort of like if a girl told a very conservative American guy that she was French, it would enhance, not diminish her intrigue that she was French, even if the guy hated the French.

Edited by H-Town Man

I am not saying I don't want a Texas themed mega park. I just don't think it would do well attracting patrons outside of our state. But surely there are focus groups scoping out the feasibility of all of this. Mine maybe a minority view based on limited exposure to pro Texas individuals. It's like the general attitude ( usually held by those who have never spent one moment in France) talk about how rude the French are. Well, I have been to France eight times in the last 14 years. There have been maybe two incidents in all the time I was there (usually a month or six weeks at a time) and I attributed it to the individuals being jerks. All countries have them. Perhaps, touting a perception change of our state is going to be on the marketing agenda.

So what's the deal with the sports complex? That article just talks about "junior" sports, but I also thought I saw the word "pro" on one of the renderings. Can we expect another minor league team like the Sugarland Skeeters? How about the New Caney New Canadians?

from the article

The Big Rivers Water Park is scheduled to begin its first phase of construction on 28 acres in September 2014 and open in June 2015.

construction on the sports complex is expected to begin in August 2014 and open in March 2015. Grand Texas officials are projecting 750,000 annual visitors for the junior baseball games alone,

motocross.jpg

he New Caney theme park and entertainment district drew another attraction to the already elaborate plans for more than 600 acres of piney woods in eastern Montgomery County, the developers announced Monday.

A Motorsportz area will be added to the plans for Grand Texas, the theme park, water park and sports and entertainment facilities.  Palmetto Racing, based in The Woodlands, teamed up with Utah-based Miller Performance USA for the plans for the Motorsportz at Grand Texas. The developers are expected to close on the land in October with construction to begin soon after. It’s slated to open in spring 2015.

Palmetto owner Tim Crawford said in a statement that there was a high level of demand for this type of motorsports in the Houston market. The two miles of track will be able to accommodate a range of activities from super karts that reach speeds up to 90 miles per hour, test-track operations for sports cars, driving schools and traditional karting and motorsports, the developers said.

“Motorsportz at Grand Texas, when combined with other activities such as the youth sports destination fields creates synergistic family activities that are incomparable,” Grand Texas CEO Monty Galland said in a statement.

The Grand Texas Sports & Entertainment District commissioned a study that predicted an excess of 1.5 million would use the sports fields in the first five years.

Galland added: ”When you look at the lineup of offerings in the District ‐ a world class theme park and water park, adventure park, event center, minor league baseball, destination youth sports fields, retail, dining, hospitality, RV resort ‐ and now this great new addition of Motorsportz at Grand Texas, it really makes the District unique in the world. We couldn’t be in a more desirable market and our location at I‐69 (formerly Highway 59) and Highway 242 is perfect for the needs of the District and all it will have to offer. We like to say ‘come for a day, stay for a week.”

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2014/07/motorsports-track-to-be-added-to-grand-texas-plan/#17943101=0

• Like 1

The new day trip for countless middle schoolers at the end of the year around the Houston area?

All we got was the chance to freeze one can of soda in foil at home (mine exploded) and pack a lunch to go see Battleship Texas and the San Jacinto Monument.

Attended a parochial school probably around the same time period! YES! And we also had Intercontinetal Airport (to ride the rail) and then Hermann Park Zoo/ Museum during then year as well.

I wonder what percentage of metro Houstonians will ever visit this place... if it ever gets off the ground.

If one were to draw a circle of radius 5 - 10 - 15 - 20 - 25+ miles with this thing in the center... how would the visitor's numbers plot against their home addresses... What would the distribution curve look like?

I wonder what percentage of metro Houstonians will ever visit this place... if it ever gets off the ground.

If one were to draw a circle of radius 5 - 10 - 15 - 20 - 25+ miles with this thing in the center... how would the visitor's numbers plot against their home addresses... What would the distribution curve look like?

I was expecting you to say they should build this in Midtown!

• Like 2

I vaguely remember going to a Carnival at Northline Mall way back when. Do they still do stuff like that at the malls? Remember that Ferris Wheel thing with the cage seating that also spun on its axis?

Not just malls, empty and abandoned lots too. I've seen the ferris wheel erected several times on the old Parkway Hospital grounds at 45 & Parker Rd. They set one up at Greenspoint Mall several times a year too. Heck, you've even got Circo de HVasquez right on 45 between Airline and Tidwell that's an entire big tent circus.

• 3 weeks later...

So what's the deal with the sports complex? That article just talks about "junior" sports, but I also thought I saw the word "pro" on one of the renderings. Can we expect another minor league team like the Sugarland Skeeters? How about the New Caney New Canadians?

I would guess Montgomery County can support a A or possibly a AA baseball team. The reference to the hockey team intrigues me, though, as Houston lost its only minor league team after the Rockets kicked them out of Toyota Center (Hockey? Shoot, there's money to be made selling tickets to Miley Cyrus and Disney on Ice!).

• Like 1

Ain't that America...?

I remember that on road trips, when we approaching places like Dallas-Fort Worth, Austin, and San Antonio (or other cities), my parents would refer to new, suburban-style houses made of "ticky-tacky". They finally explained why they called it as such a few years ago.

(Hockey? Shoot, there's money to be made selling tickets to Miley Cyrus and Disney on Ice!).

FWIW, it seems that Reliant/NRG gets nearly all of the kid event traffic (circus, ______ on Ice, etc.) TC gets concerts and that's about it.

I would bet that there is an element of scheduling flexibility that makes concerts more profitable without the Aeros crowding out weekend dates. It stinks, I really liked the Aeros games, but putting them out in the woods would not bring in half the crowd that they had at TC.

• 1 month later...

Update from there facebook page

Thank you everyone for your patience!

We just closed on the RV Resort and Campground site at Grand Texas. This will be the premier RV destination in Houston. 
Unfortunately, the loan required that we cease construction until it funded which is why the site has been so quiet lately. Thanks to Members Choice Credit Union's successful closing on the RV Resort and Campground we are able to begin infrastructure improvements once more! 

We're one step closer to Opening Day!

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/cypresscreek/news/work-expected-to-begin-soon-on-grand-texas-entertainment-district/article_d4ce6284-4081-11e4-9e0b-cb53a29922f2.html