Grand Texas Theme Park At 23065 Highway 242

• 1 month later...

“People are seeing the clearing, they’re seeing the construction,” he said. “One response is, ‘We’ll believe it when we see it.’ That’s fine. Just let us get stuff done.”   exactly haha ;) and dang it, i looked at this thread again!!!! doh!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2016/08/18/rv-park-at-long-delayed-grand-texas-now-open.html

The first facility at the future Grand Texas Sports and Entertainment District in New Caney is finally open.

Grand Texas RV Resort hosted its first guests last weekend, roughly a year after construction began on that portion of the development, according to Grand Texas' official newsletter. A grand opening for the RV Resort will be announced in the coming weeks.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

"Grand Texas Theme Park in New Caney has announced that it will start construction on its Big Rivers Waterpark in August, with an estimated opening of summer 2018.  Construction on the main Grand Texas theme part is expected to begin after the water park is already in operation."

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/east-montgomery/news/article/New-Houston-water-park-construction-Grand-Texas-11280769.php?utm_content=buffer5d5da&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
11 hours ago, hindesky said:

There has been talk about this project since 07/2009, is there anything actually there? It seems like a pie in the sky to me that continues to yank people's chain about every 6 months with some pronouncement that never actually happens.

They built the kart track, though it doesn't strike me as something that's going to be accessible to a broad variety of people that a theme park has to accommodate to be successful (specialty racing karts, $25 for 10 minutes if you rent).  Seems like a niche product that I would enjoy personally, but it could be built anywhere in greater Houston with cheap land, and its proximity to a theme park would be detrimental to my experience.

http://speedsportzracingpark.com/

A public groundbreaking ceremony for a waterpark in New Caney in the middle of December doesn't come across as advertising for future customers. Perhaps I'm being too cynical here, but it does read like another small drip of "progress" to entice more investors to actually get the thing to happen at all. There's a water park out in Katy, so these things do happen, but there are a ton of different things that have been floated in relation to this broader project for a long time, so its reasonable to be skeptical.

Edited by Nate99

There isn't much of anything on the north side of 242 just yet...  apparently a functional water station not visible from the highway, and some recent, Civil-related activity on-grade has been spotted.    

Grand Texas really executed it's original series of press releases/conferences in Nov. of 2013.  I recall there being some talk about their original Tomball location much earlier than that.

PR/press remains inconsistent on any of the amusement venues in the region...  

-  Adventure Pointe in Texas City all but stopped posting construction updates on their Facebook page.  What's vertical onsite appears much less riveting than the original Downtown Disney-style entertainment district advertised.

-  Downtown Aquarium's expansion across Preston never developed further.

-  And the number of timeline updates for Grand Texas has definitely been frustrating.

Right enough:  Who really knows what will come about from this Groundbreaking?...  The Virtual Builders' Exchange website posted this article back in early Oct., and a subcontractor commented on the Grand Texas "News and Rumors" Facebook page that he'd seen the construction documents around this time - 
https://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/25035-contractors-line-up-to-build-grand-texas-waterpark.html

For what it's worth, I contacted Virtual BX back in Oct. regarding the $10,000,000 construction cost noted in their article.  The gentleman who responded didn't really know where that number came from (I understand Typhoon Texas construction cost was around $45,000,000?)...  Hopefully that $10 million number is way off, or not inclusive of the whole water park scope.

We'll see... 

Edited by txtiger

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, AnTonY said:

Way too far away from Houston. What a big miss on the development.

I agree. This is a big nothing-burger. It's remote and too close in proximity to Splashtown. The only way this will be a big success is years down the road when suburbia moves out that way and or they eventually open up the long advertised amusement park. 

The Development's website has been updated w/ Annual Pass and Single Ticket info., as well as the operating calendar for 2018 (including Halloween and Winter Holidays events), as well as a Park Map, etc.    http://bigriverswaterpark.com/tickets-and-passes/

Seems to be received decently on other Social Media, thus far.

I'm moving house this summer and will be operating out of my mom's place up in The Woodlands for the bulk of June and July, so I purchased passes.  Based on my order's numbers, looks like 129 others were sold within 30 minutes of the announcements on Facebook, ahead of my own few...

Edited by txtiger
  • Like 1

You're building a brand new, "premium" RV park.  You've got hundreds of acres of land in a pine forest.  So, naturally, of course, you . . . clear cut and bulldoze the site.  Not a piece of shade to be had.  There weren't five or six pines on the site that wouldn't be in the way of your concrete pour or utilities trenching??  Crank up the rooftop a/c on your Jayco, brother, because you're going to need it come July. . .

Edited by flatline
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...