Huh, didn't realize that Buffalo Bayou had been worked so intensely previously. Always viewed the stretch between Shepherd and downtown as being pretty natural before the big renovation in the 2010s. 

But I suppose all those giant concrete culverts had to come from somewhere. Learn something new every day. Thanks, Wilcal!

Went by East River 9 yesterday. Today the 9th, is the grand opening. It really is nice. They have great views of downtown, and there were several groups playing golf and a nice large bar and patio for dining and drinking. The bar has several big screens for sports.

FORE!

• Like 8

The most recent Looped In podcast interviewed the Midway executive overseeing the development.

"We sit down with Midway vice president Anna Deans to discuss how Midway’s game-changing project will start to transform how Houstonians interact with this part of Buffalo Bayou and how the project could spark further changes in the East End. Deans also gives us all the updates and details on what’s next for East River, one of the most highly anticipated real estate developments underway in Houston now."

https://omny.fm/shows/looped-in/a-behind-the-scenes-look-at-east-river-one-of-hous

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I appreciated her being honest about the likely gentrification effects of the project. I think she's right that a large project like this - especially if they can ultimately get a full scale grocery store - can be as transformative of local income levels as it probably will be for local rents. But that could just as (/much more) easily not happen as happen. Based on what she said, it sounds like they're trying to be intentional about that, but while I'd love to see those efforts succeed, I remain skeptical.

Some things that could maybe help with that:

-Higher all-day frequencies for buses that connect ER to 5th & 2nd Ward neighborhoods (and/or a Jenson/Lyons rail or BRT line).

-More or a focus on protected bike routes from the north and south (plus bridges).

-For office tenants (and the Johnny Rhodes concept), partnerships with neighborhood schools (and the HCC campus on Drennan) to create (paid) internships for students.

-Make plaza space free or very cheap to book for food/market stalls.

-Include a variety short-term-leasing retail/service spaces, including for things like dance & exercise class studios. 

-Seems like a great place for a music school + instrument shop.

Obviously, Midway is under no obligation to do any of this. But it would make me happy if they did.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 5:08 PM, __nevii said:

The lack of "bayoufront' development was a huge missed opportunity regarding the growth of Houston through the years. So I'm definitely looking forward to this project (and any precedent it sets).

they tried that about 100 years ago. Those buildings sank into the swamp. Then they rebuilt them. Those buildings sank into the swamp. Then they tried again. those buildings burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp.

But the fourth set..... that's what you see here.  :)

• Haha 9

8 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

they tried that about 100 years ago. Those buildings sank into the swamp. Then they rebuilt them. Those buildings sank into the swamp. Then they tried again. those buildings burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp.

But the fourth set..... that's what you see here.  :)

Perhaps, though it depends on which sections they specifically made those earlier attempts. This "East River" section is larger/more riparian compared to the bayou sections west of downtown: so it should have better handle regarding any flood waters.

As mentioned before, I am looking forward to seeing how this development goes, as it can set good precedent. I remember reading a document a few years back regarding the Buffalo Bayou Partnership, how their plans for revitalization went as far east (so far) as "Constitution Bend" (i.e. Magnolia Park neighborhood).

Edited by __nevii
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, __nevii said:

Perhaps, though it depends on which sections they specifically made those earlier attempts. This "East River" section is larger/more riparian compared to the bayou sections west of downtown: so it should have better handle regarding any flood waters.

As mentioned before, I am looking forward to seeing how this development goes, as it can set good precedent. I remember reading a document a few years back regarding the Buffalo Bayou Partnership, how their plans for revitalization went as far east (so far) as "Constitution Bend" (i.e. Magnolia Park neighborhood).

The comment you replied to is a Monty Python quote edited to fit this scenario. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2