Houston Potential Projects That Were Never Built

Subdude

• 1 month later...

I remember renderings for the Westin on Clear Lake, similar style, but not as tall. It's amazing how many highrise proposals there were for the area at the time. If all of them would have been built, it would have put Palisade Palms Galveston's condo skyline to shame.

I wonder if any of them will resurface?

I remember renderings for the Westin on Clear Lake, similar style, but not as tall. It's amazing how many highrise proposals there were for the area at the time. If all of them would have been built, it would have put Palisade Palms Galveston's condo skyline to shame.

I wonder if any of them will resurface?

You're right, there used to be a lot of proposals for the bay area. The economy is booming now, what happened?

Shamrock Tower was scheduled to have a McDonald's as the ground floor tenant. Question: was it this block where the McDonald's was torn down for the Shamrock Tower project (announced ~2004). It sure would make sense for the timeline.

Were there any plans released for a World Trade Center? I've always wondered why we don't have one and read in one of triton (or iron tiger? I get them confused sometimes)s timeline post about rail during the 1980s-90s that someone was trying to bring one to Houston at one point..

Were there any plans released for a World Trade Center? I've always wondered why we don't have one and read in one of triton (or iron tiger? I get them confused sometimes)s timeline post about rail during the 1980s-90s that someone was trying to bring one to Houston at one point..

Houston did have a World Trade Center.  It was on the Texas-Crawford-Capitol-La Branch block and is now a Westin Hotel. 

card00434_fr.jpg

• Like 2

Houston did have a World Trade Center.  It was on the Texas-Crawford-Capitol-La Branch block and is now a Westin Hotel. 

card00434_fr.jpg

Not sure how this is a "potential" building development.

I liked the old World Trade Center MUCH better before the reskin to make it look "old."

Though do you think that facade would have attracted people to a Landry's run hotel?  Landry's being the opperative word... Landry's.... just saying.

Not sure how this is a "potential" building development.

Though do you think that facade would have attracted people to a Landry's run hotel?  Landry's being the opperative word... Landry's.... just saying.

Actually, the operative word is Fertitta.  I don't think the facade would have made a whole lot of difference to the customers (shoot, you could've really tarted it up with a Rat Pack sorta vibe), but it's not nearly gaudy enough for The Tillman.

That's the Amegy Bank building west of the Metro Building Downtown right? Didn't a basketball player invest in it before 2000 to rehab it?

Nope.  This is catty corner from the baseball stadium, across Crawford from Assumption.

--------

It doesn't show up on the post card, but IIRC the white columns also had a nice shiny little turquoise inlay running up them.

Edited by mollusk

Must have been iron tiger. lol

Must have been iron tiger. lol

Nope, not me. Speaking of which, I need to scan more of "Houston Today" and post 'em. 

Houston's World Trade Center was actually, I read, the first building named as such, and was later The Inn at the Ballpark, which is now a Westin.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hmmm... 5 Allen coming in before Chevron? I somehow doubt it.

(yes, I know it's just a marketing brochure...)

That's why it's Houston Potential. I'm sure it's older than the shorter design we've seen.

Edit: Truely a shame I really like this design best out of all the others.

Edited by Montrose1100

well, yeah...

I like it better than the more recent renders, too - however, anything to somehow mask some of Three Allen's awkward shape... (and yes, I realize it gives as big a floor plate as can be put on its particular site - but it's otherwise interesting chocolate brown cladding is kinda like someone wearing black in the hope that nobody will notice his or her Falstaffian mass).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, the operative word is Fertitta.  I don't think the facade would have made a whole lot of difference to the customers (shoot, you could've really tarted it up with a Rat Pack sorta vibe), but it's not nearly gaudy enough for The Tillman.

Nope.  This is catty corner from the baseball stadium, across Crawford from Assumption.

--------

It doesn't show up on the post card, but IIRC the white columns also had a nice shiny little turquoise inlay running up them.

Mollusk, I assume you meant "Annuciation" and not "Assumption" (I couldn't help myself).

I worked for a freight forwarder right out of college that was headquartered in the World Trade Center on Crawford St, even though the department I worked in was in the Allen Center. The World Trade Center building housed mostly freight forwarder and shipping line offices. It was a dumpy part of downtown back then, and quite a hike for anyone walking over there.

• 1 month later...

Cool to see some different renderings of the building. Extremely glad this one never made it, it would have thrown the whole skyline out of balance (although if it were 3/4th's the height it wouldn't be so terrible). The design is quite bland. SOM lost their edge for American skyscrapers. Every new proposal they come out with is just a blue glass rectangle, claiming "minimalism" and not "low budget" as their design inspirations. 

It will be great to see what the sight produces next go around. Thanks Urb.

• Like 2