Houston Potential Projects That Were Never Built

Subdude

To me the scale and proprtions appear to be way off. As if the the subject model were just placed I a group of unrelated models. I mean, certainly this building won't be 50 to 60 stories tall.

Yeah, I'm not saying that is for sure the building, just that it looks a little like Fulbright Tower.

I have no knowledge of where this project will actually be located.

Edited by DrLan34

Looks like 1600 Smith (Continental Center I) without the crown. How old is this rendering?

More likely than not, the surroundings are just made up infill to keep the block's exact location confidential.

Thank you! Someone got it. Too lazy to post, waited for someone else. It's Continental Ceter 1.

• 2 weeks later...

^The East End Flats is/was owned by the Corps of Engineers, I think the City of Galveston reverts to controlling that land at some point (if it hasn't already).  I think any plans for developing that land as more than a park with maybe a Beachtown addition on a part of it is probably grossly overblown.  Besides that I'm never clear why anyone wants to put in a community like the one depicted above - Galveston already has that in place!  And its working.  If a developer wanted to spend $100 million on a Beachtown but rather do it in Downtown/The Strand imagine the impact!  Oh well.  There is a reason these are mostly visionary projects.

And why not just tell people what the building was Montrose1100?

Edited by arche_757

I'd take that over an empty lot!  Its just Post Modern design.

Pretty much a catalog of design cues from the 1980s:  cascading skylights, the square windows in the base (as in Portlandia), the canopies, the arched main entrance etc.  That said, I like how the canopies and fountains align to form a formal entrance into the square to make a single composition.  While the design is dated, if it had been built ca. 1986 we probably all would have been pleased with it.  Is there any element of the proposed International Tower's design that integrates as well into the neighborhood?  

...Is there any element of the proposed International Tower's design that integrates as well into the neighborhood?  

Great question.  I'm still not 100% sure what the appeal of that particular building is over its height and the fact it will dwarf surrounding buildings?  It is geometrically simple (compared to Crescents Folly aka 6 H-town Center), yet it is not unique or elegant; whereas 609 is (also simple) yet more elegant and architecutrally speaking a more thoughtprovoking design overall.  I'm not saying its bad, just wondering why everyone is so eager to see it built versus 609 or Chevron or others?

Great question.  I'm still not 100% sure what the appeal of that particular building is over its height and the fact it will dwarf surrounding buildings?  It is geometrically simple (compared to Crescents Folly aka 6 H-town Center), yet it is not unique or elegant; whereas 609 is (also simple) yet more elegant and architecutrally speaking a more thoughtprovoking design overall.  I'm not saying its bad, just wondering why everyone is so eager to see it built versus 609 or Chevron or others?

b/c it has a pretty lighted curvature... duh!

• Like 2

The Houston Center was originally supposed to cover far more than it does today, going over the area that includes the convention center and Discovery Green. Here's a few renderings (more to be revealed soon) of the Houston Center that wasn't.

haif_houstoncenter1.png

The cooler part about Houston Center was that even though it took up dozens of blocks and had an extensive system of parking, enclosed concourses, and even a people-mover, the streets weren't closed off to traffic thanks to a "platform city" concept.

haif_houstoncenter2.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A few more related to the above if people are interested:

haif_houstoncenter3.png

haif_houstoncenter4.png

As the Wikipedia article alludes to, the original Houston Center concept was massive and razed 32 blocks of downtown in preparation to build, which would include Discovery Green and most of the convention center (or at least, that's what they would be eventually).

• Like 1

From what I understand there was some opposition at the time to the original scheme where the streets and parking level would be totally covered by the platform a couple of stories high.  The concern was that the streets would turn into a dark dead zone.  That, and I suppose the economics of it, led to the development being a somewhat random group of skyscrapers and a shopping mall.  

In retrospect I would have preferred if it had been built as first envisioned.  Razing the entire site killed off any street life to begin with, and it would certainly have been unique among US cities. 

From what I understand there was some opposition at the time to the original scheme where the streets and parking level would be totally covered by the platform a couple of stories high.  The concern was that the streets would turn into a dark dead zone.  That, and I suppose the economics of it, led to the development being a somewhat random group of skyscrapers and a shopping mall.  

In retrospect I would have preferred if it had been built as first envisioned.  Razing the entire site killed off any street life to begin with, and it would certainly have been unique among US cities. 

Yes, the Hanging Gardens parking structures of Houston. Although if the full vision was realized, we might not have some of the Towers we have today. 

I'm curious as to how the tram system would work going to 59. Would it deliver cars? Would it deliver people from a drop off point directly from 59?

I think the design is actually really cool and unique. Very Disney Epcot.

• Like 1

The tram system wouldn't have connected to 59.  I think it was more of a tramway at the podium level.  The stopping point of the people mover is supposedly still identifiable at Two Houston Center.  

If this had been built there might have been less subsequent development in west Downtown, such as along Smith.

Here's how the Houston Center would've fit in with the rest of the skyline. Obviously, while the actual things would have similar color to the rest of the downtown area, it still looks a bit jarring.

haif_houstoncenter5.png

I'll release the 10 page document (not all of it has renderings, sorry) soon if there's sufficient demand on HAIF.

• Like 5

Here's how the Houston Center would've fit in with the rest of the skyline. Obviously, while the actual things would have similar color to the rest of the downtown area, it still looks a bit jarring.

haif_houstoncenter5.png

I'll release the 10 page document (not all of it has renderings, sorry) soon if there's sufficient demand on HAIF.

Rad! Yes please share!!

haif_houstoncenter5.png

Release the hounds!

Two last ones:

haif_houstoncenter6.png

Describing how the "platform city" interfaces with the rest of the CBD

haif_houstoncenter7.png

The people mover system. Looks very futuristic!

By now, those that have requested the Houston Center "image source" have been sent one.

That's all for now...

• Like 1

Yeah, I was contacted by that guy and ended up sending the guy the files I had scanned, but not until after he had already published some. I noted that one of the renderings seemed to have a better copy, and somewhere, better copies of everything in that book exist.

Over in the Greenspoint Mall thread, someone mentioned that there were originally plans to build a second, more upscale mall across from the highway that would include an ice rink and fancy anchors, but no concrete plans exist (it ended up being a strip mall). I wonder if that was ever a serious proposal, and if so, where is it?

• Like 1