Alamo Drafthouse Midtown Theater At 2907 Louisiana St.

DrLan34

No, the article says they're looking at other locations in Midtown. Sounds like 2901 Louisiana is canceled.

No argument there.  The poster implied that they were opening in Regent Square instead of  Louisiana.  I only wanted to clarify that is not the case.  The apparent 2901 Louisiana cancellation is  entirely independent from and unrelated to the new Regent Square location. 

This serves the midtown market too with the proximity. There will not be one in Regent Square AND one in Midtown.

So, you know more about it than the Alamo spokesman?

No argument there.  The poster implied that they were opening in Regent Square instead of  Louisiana.  I only wanted to clarify that is not the case.  The apparent 2901 Louisiana cancellation is  entirely independent from and unrelated to the new Regent Square location. 

So, you know more about it than the Alamo spokesman?

Are they doing Louisiana? Apparently not. Are they doing Regent's Square? Apparently so. Will there be another Midtown Alamo? Since the Louisiana one is canceled, we'll not know if and until they announce finding a new location.

Well after reading the article, I think there is certainty of a midtown location, just not exactly where it was originally announced on Louisiana. So we're gonna have two Alamo Drafthouses in two different neighborhoods relatively close to one another. This is gonna be something to watch.

Highly doubt that it will happen. Why open two locations that close to each other when they are so underdeveloped in the market? My guess is that they will quietly announce that the midtown location fell through a couple of months from now.

Highly doubt that it will happen. Why open two locations that close to each other when they are so underdeveloped in the market? My guess is that they will quietly announce that the midtown location fell through a couple of months from now.

i agree, abiet disappointed for midtown.

I heard Crosspoint and Alamo Drafthouse couldn't make the "numbers work" so Alamo walked away from the project and is currently searching for an alternate site in Midtown. Meanwhile, Crosspoint is currently looking for a similar concept as replacement for the Alamo Drafthouse to anchor their Louisiana development.

I fully expect there will be a movie theater in midtown similar in concept to Alamo.

I also have my doubts that Alamo is going to be the one at this point. Yes, the article says they are reviewing other options for midtown, but they could just be saying that for the people who even knew they were planning a location to let them down easy, as it were. especially since they are planning another one so close (even though it's not as easy to get there from midtown).

• 2 weeks later...
This may be a waste of your time...

I e-mailed Crosspoint regarding this development and of course they were very tight lipped about anything in the works.  

Here is the response:

"Unfortunately I cannot disclose anything at this point other than we are working on a new project and hope to have something more definitive in the next few months."

I'm not sure if this means nothing or something but it seems strange that the Alamo Drafthouse was rendered, announced, etc and then fell through, unless Crosspoint had a realistic 2nd option for the development.

Edited by DrLan34

• 2 months later...

Per a recent HBJ article:

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2013/05/09/midtown-development-slideshow.html?s=image_gallery

"Alamo Drafthouse
Owner: Austin-based Triple Tap Ventures LLC

The skinny: The company first announced an inner-Loop location at 2901 Louisiana St. last year. However, construction at that site hasn't gotten underway, and Triple Tap CEO Neil Michaelsen told Houston Business Journal in February the company is "reviewing alternate sites in Midtown for an Alamo and is committed to bringing the concept to that market."

I guess HBJ still thinks this might come to Midtown...
Edited by DrLan34

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...