Vargo's On The Lake: Multifamily At 2411 Fondren Rd.

Houston developer Sandy Aron is set to pay $6.1 million for Vargo's Restaurant, which he plans to tear down and replace with a 312-unit apartment complex called Vargo's on the Lake.

Construction of Vargo's on the Lake is anticipated to start by the end of the year...

"It will be top shelf," he said.

Stanford Steinberg with Houston-based Steinberg Design Collaborative LLP, designer of the high-rise resident tower at 3333 Allen Parkway, has been tapped as architect for the Vargo's project.

Houston Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/

Vargos, what a beautiful hidden spot. I'm repeating myself here, but as 10 year old kids, a freind of mine and I found a discarded brick layers mixing bin somewhere near Voss Rd. We tossed it in the bayou and found two poles and made our way up stream, acting like Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. Hours later we came upon a garden like paridise with brick lined trails, exotic plants, and pink flamingos (live ones). We put ashore and explored the grounds, thinking we had found the Land of Oz. After awhile a couple of guys in red coats shooed us away and told us to get off the property.

It wasn't until years later that I was at wedding reciption, sometime in the middle 70's that it donned on me where I was. It was that same garden like place " the back yard at Vargo's".

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Really beautiful setting.

HOUSTON IS BEAUTIFUL.

Funny, I used to live about a mile south of this area and didn't know about it.

The google earth view is reconstruction, while the satellite view is after construction started. It looks like they tore up the parking lot and removed a lot of trees. I hope they do put back in a lot of trees and keep the area green.

• 3 months later...

immediately across the street at Fondren and Woodway is one of the two nice places to live on Fondren (no way! a nice place on Fondren? LIES!), and down woodway from there is an old folks home and an old Farb place.

the train wreck sign has been up for a while, so I'm sure it's not some form of protest....

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Vargo's On The Lake: Multifamily At 2411 Fondren Rd.

Archived