The Woodlands Towers At The Waterway

bachanon

My friend's father actually works for KinderMorgan and the clients he works with are from Anadarko. He told me that the multi-level glass section that is between the two towers and on top of the parking garage is actually a gigantic gym for the employees. Everything from basketball to tennis... Not 100% but I believe he said there is even a large pool in there. You can see the section clearly in the renderings provided by lockmat.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure why this building is referred to as the tallest of the two. It is clear driving up 45 this afternoon that Allison Tower (Tower 1) stands taller than Hackett Tower (new Tower 2). I mean it's not even close. If it's now officially topped out, then Hackett Tower is a solid second place. Anybody else agree?

I'm not sure why this building is referred to as the tallest of the two. It is clear driving up 45 this afternoon that Allison Tower (Tower 1) stands taller than Hackett Tower (new Tower 2). I mean it's not even close. If it's now officially topped out, then Hackett Tower is a solid second place. Anybody else agree?

It does appear that way. I thought it was just me.

the first tower is supposed to be 30 and the second 31; however, the second tower is built over a garage.  the garage levels must be shorter than a normal floor maybe?

Almost definitely the garage levels have less floor-to-floor height than a normal high-rise building. Also, the ground floor of the building without the garage may be "taller" than the floors above. Imagine "grand" lobbies with 20 foot ceilings.

It is practically a standard in this area for office buildings with 9-foot ceiling heights on the upper floors to have about a 13-1/2 foot floor-to-floor height to allow for structural beams and electrical and mechanical equipment above the ceiling. There is a lot stuff above the ceiling in a modern office building: air ducts, electrical conduit, plumbing both for domestic water and sprinkler systems as well as duct dampers, reheating coils, and wiring for data etc.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got to chatting with a lady tonight at the bowling alley who works for Anadarko. We were chatting about the new tower and what not and how the Anadarko corp. just dominates the Woodlands skyline. She mentioned that the talk of a 3rd highrise across from Lake Robbins is in serious discussion. She didn't have specifics but she said to be looking for it in the next few years. Interesting eh?

• Like 1

Got to chatting with a lady tonight at the bowling alley who works for Anadarko. We were chatting about the new tower and what not and how the Anadarko corp. just dominates the Woodlands skyline. She mentioned that the talk of a 3rd highrise across from Lake Robbins is in serious discussion. She didn't have specifics but she said to be looking for it in the next few years. Interesting eh?

So the third tower would go up right across the water from the new tower ?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Occidental's Woodlands, Energy Corridor campuses sold in $565M deal

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/12/30/occidentals-woodlands-energy-corridor-campuses.html?iana=hpmvp_hstn_news_headline

The Howard Hughes Corp. (NYSE: HHC) announced Dec. 30 that it will be closing out 2019 with one of the largest office deals of the year.

The company has agreed to pay $565 million to acquire two office towers in The Woodlands totaling 1.4 million square feet of Class A office space as well as a 17-building campus in the Energy Corridor from Houston-based Occidental Petroleum Corp. (NYSE: OXY). The 63-acre campus in the Energy Corridor, which formerly housed the corporate headquarters of ConocoPhillips, comes with 1.3 million square feet of Class A office space, none of which is currently leased.

The deal also includes a 125,000-square-foot warehouse and 9.3 acres of developable land in The Woodlands Town Center that fronts Interstate 45 North.

The two office towers are known for being Anadarko Petroleum Corp.’s twin-building headquarters in The Woodlands. The tower located at 1201 Lake Robbins Drive was previously called Anadarko Allison Tower, while the tower at 9950 Woodloch Forest Drive was called Anadarko Hackett Tower.

But after Anadarko was acquired by Occidental in August, the towers dropped the former company’s name from their moniker.

Howard Hughes said Occidental will maintain its presence in the buildings, which are now known as The Woodlands Towers at The Waterway. Occidental has agreed to lease back 100 percent of the larger, 808,000-square-foot tower at 1201 Lake Robbins Drive and the nearby warehouse for 13 years.

For Howard Hughes Corp., the deal effectively increases the company’s office portfolio in The Woodlands by 50 percent. The company recently doubled down on the master-planned community it developed by announcing it was moving its corporate headquarters to The Woodlands from Dallas as part of a shareholder-driven restructuring.

• Like 6

On 12/31/2019 at 9:13 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

I'm glad this ended well for The Woodlands and that whole area. Probably the best outcome possible getting a whole new HQ for a big time company for that area. I personally have nothing but distain for Oxy who pretty much just bought Anadarko just so they could sell it off for scraps.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/3/2020 at 11:26 AM, Luminare said:

I'm glad this ended well for The Woodlands and that whole area. Probably the best outcome possible getting a whole new HQ for a big time company for that area. I personally have nothing but distain for Oxy who pretty much just bought Anadarko just so they could sell it off for scraps.

I don't think The Woodlands is getting the HQ.  Pretty sure HQ is staying in Greenway Plaza.

And not only did Oxy not buy Anadarko just so they could sell it off for scraps; they are not doing so.

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

I don't think The Woodlands is getting the HQ.  Pretty sure HQ is staying in Greenway Plaza.

And not only did Oxy not buy Anadarko just so they could sell it off for scraps; they are not doing so.

I'm confused. Are you saying they aren't selling off scraps for Anadarko? Because that is basically what they are doing. I know someone who works at the now former Anadarko, and that is all that has been happening of late. Either laying people off or selling off assets. They literally just bought Anadarko for their properties in the Permian Basin and that is it. Pretty much everything else is on the chopping block or is being reevaluated to what will be a profit motive for the company. Oxy also has a reputation of doing this, and its why many didn't want Oxy to be the suitor.

40 minutes ago, Luminare said:

I'm confused. Are you saying they aren't selling off scraps for Anadarko? Because that is basically what they are doing. I know someone who works at the now former Anadarko, and that is all that has been happening of late. Either laying people off or selling off assets. They literally just bought Anadarko for their properties in the Permian Basin and that is it. Pretty much everything else is on the chopping block or is being reevaluated to what will be a profit motive for the company. Oxy also has a reputation of doing this, and its why many didn't want Oxy to be the suitor.

Yes, they have sold some assets.  Of course they have.  But to say they bought Anadarko "just so they could sell it off for scraps" is hyperbole. By your own account they are not  selling it all off (for scraps or otherwise).

To the extent they have sold (or are going to sell) some assets, so what?  Why is that a bad thing?  (FWIW, Chevron probably would have sold off some Anadarko assets too. It's rare to find a major acquisition that doesn't lead to some follow-up asset sales.)

Edited by Houston19514

51 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Yes, they have sold some assets.  Of course they have.  But to say they bought Anadarko "just so they could sell it off for scraps" is hyperbole. By your own account they are not  selling it all off (for scraps or otherwise).

To the extent they have sold (or are going to sell) some assets, so what?  Why is that a bad thing?  (FWIW, Chevron probably would have sold off some Anadarko assets too. It's rare to find a major acquisition that doesn't lead to some follow-up asset sales.)

Its not hyperbolic when its fact, and I never said that Chevron wouldn't have done the same thing. However, when looking at the facts and intentions of both suitors they had very different set of priorities. In fact there was a lot of indications that Chevron, with its greater reach, would have been able to utilize, properly, more of Anadarko's assets than Oxy would. Oxy only wanted the Permian Basin, and that was it. From what I understand Chevron already has assets in Permian, but simply wanted to beef up its market share in the region, and instead valued Anadarko's various other assets in Colorado, Texas, the Midwest, and overseas. They clearly had a better infrastructure to house all of these things where as Oxy didn't. The only reason why Anadarko took the Oxy deal at the 11th hour was because the board each got a substantial amount of money more than they would have gotten with Chevron. I'm not even saying that is wrong. If put in that situation as an investor that is on the board I might have made the same decision, who knows. These are the facts though which doesn't make it hyperbolic. Being hyperbolic would be to say that Oxy is like the devil reincarnate, and of course they aren't, but they do have a reputation in the industry for gobbling up competition and then selling them off for parts. Chevron has done the same thing in the past as well, and they certainly aren't saints, but has a better history in incorporating the parts they acquire into the greater whole. Oxy tends to have more short-sighted decision making while Chevron tends to be to be more medium to long term. I'm sure Oxy is a fine company with people that like working there, but they can be a bit cut throat in mergers and acquisitions. Don't put words into my mouth that I didn't say. If you want something to be clarified then just ask. I also don't have affiliation with either company and quite frankly I don't care, but I do know someone who does have good details about the current situation, and unfortunately the deal didn't pane out for many people. While I'm not someone who lives in The Woodlands, or thinks its the best area of town, I was becoming a great little urban core that was fleshing itself out and Anadarko was a big part of the engine that was making it go. Hopefully the area diversifies more, and hopefully they land another HQ because the area has a lot of potential, but it definitely wasn't going to be with Oxy whom made those intentions clear from the beginning.

Edited by Luminare

47 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Its not hyperbolic when its fact, and I never said that Chevron wouldn't have done the same thing. However, when looking at the facts and intentions of both suitors they had very different set of priorities. In fact there was a lot of indications that Chevron, with its greater reach, would have been able to utilize, properly, more of Anadarko's assets than Oxy would. Oxy only wanted the Permian Basin, and that was it. From what I understand Chevron already has assets in Permian, but simply wanted to beef up its market share in the region, and instead valued Anadarko's various other assets in Colorado, Texas, the Midwest, and overseas. They clearly had a better infrastructure to house all of these things where as Oxy didn't. The only reason why Anadarko took the Oxy deal at the 11th hour was because the board each got a substantial amount of money more than they would have gotten with Chevron. I'm not even saying that is wrong. If put in that situation as an investor that is on the board I might have made the same decision, who knows. These are the facts though which doesn't make it hyperbolic. Being hyperbolic would be to say that Oxy is like the devil reincarnate, and of course they aren't, but they do have a reputation in the industry for gobbling up competition and then selling them off for parts. Chevron has done the same thing in the past as well, and they certainly aren't saints, but has a better history in incorporating the parts they acquire into the greater whole. Oxy tends to have more short-sighted decision making while Chevron tends to be to be more medium to long term. I'm sure Oxy is a fine company with people that like working there, but they can be a bit cut throat in mergers and acquisitions. Don't put words into my mouth that I didn't say. If you want something to be clarified then just ask. I also don't have affiliation with either company and quite frankly I don't care, but I do know someone who does have good details about the current situation, and unfortunately the deal didn't pane out for many people. While I'm not someone who lives in The Woodlands, or thinks its the best area of town, I was becoming a great little urban core that was fleshing itself out and Anadarko was a big part of the engine that was making it go. Hopefully the area diversifies more, and hopefully they land another HQ because the area has a lot of potential, but it definitely wasn't going to be with Oxy whom made those intentions clear from the beginning.

Yeah.  I didn't put words in your mouth.  Not even close.  It is hyperbole, and NOT factual, to say (as you did) that Oxy "pretty much just bought Anadarko just so they could sell it off for scraps". 

I'm trying to make sense of your recent statement that you are not even saying that what Oxy did was wrong, in light of your earlier declaration to have nothing but disdain for Oxy because of what they did.  Perhaps a little hyperbole in that initial post?  😉

Edited by Houston19514