HIVE Houston Sustainable Village

lockmat

Oh wait, it's back up! I'll put the link in "Anything You Want" before some handwringing wikipedia editor removes it again.

Frankly, I wish you and Niche wouldn't ruin the 'Anything You Want' thread, either. Can't you two just start a mental masturbation thread that only you two know about?

Frankly, I wish you and Niche wouldn't ruin the 'Anything You Want' thread, either. Can't you two just start a mental masturbation thread that only you two know about?

Perhaps there could be a 2nd thread 'Anything Niche and Luciaphile Want' to compliment the 'Anything You Want' thread.

anyway, somewhat related to the topic at hand (and I could swear there was a thread somewhere on haif about shipping container houses), Amsterdam built student housing out of them:

Amsterdam student Rose Mandungu stands in front of a colorful apartment complex constructed of a rather unusual material—discarded shipping containers. The crowded Dutch city has been meeting a pressing need for student and other low-income housing by using ubiquitous steel shipping containers. After years at sea, the containers were rusted and dented but ready for reuse to house people instead of products.

pictures and more words:

http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/sustainable-earth/pictures-amsterdam-shipping-container-homes/

This is still a thing-this page says Phase I is under construction.

https://www.hivehouston.org/timeline

MUC -Multiversal Utility Construct

•First HIVE Operatioal prototype, 12 Containers

•Under Construction, Private

https://www.hivehouston.org/more-information

IV. How HIVE will be Built – It Takes a Village to Raise a Village

HIVE is projected to be developed and constructed from 2020 through 2025.Three HIVE building phases will occur during the time period. Each will be a successful autonomous part of a subsequent progression ensuring a gradual and evolving process of succession. We remain open to input from members of the community, especially including educational and thought leaders, as we finalize our project. The means are as important as the finished or completed construction.

The final project will comprise 44 buildings and gardens surrounding the inner HIVE structure. Each building will have a square footprint and be made of 11 40-foot steel shipping containers raising three and four floors. The outer perimeter buildings will be four stories tall, and interior buildings will be three stories. Ground-floor commercial spaces will each be 2,500 square feet with floor-to-ceiling windows on two sides. Above them will be 320-square-foot studios, and 800-square-foot two-bedroom apartments.

The architecture of the inner HIVE studios will be made from 20-foot shipping containers arrayed in a hemispheric geometry along a structurally integral ramp that reaches a height of 72 feet. The 198-foot-long ramp is sloped to the maximum critical angle of two degrees, creating an element of universal design, a gently spiraled floor conveying both handicapped and able-bodied individuals to the 148 studio spaces.

Nestor Topchy, whose wife owns Avant Garden, is one of the main players in this project. He  is an artist, who went to the University of Houston for his MFA. He and I were in the 87 graduate program together. He's good friends with another artist entrepreneur named Jim Pirtle who owns Notsuoh on Main. Late night after hours, at Notsuoh, was always interesting. It was his initial concept that started this whole project.

He also has a beautiful studio space he built out of old windows from a church that he rescued in the near north side. It was featured in a fashion  photo shoot for Paper City, a few months ago. I saw him a few weeks ago and he is still promoting this project and it sounds like they are getting closer.

MUC -Multiversal Utility Construct

•First HIVE Operatioal[sic] prototype, 12 Containers

•Under Construction, Private

From the website - looks like phase 1 doesn't want their address published

4 minutes ago, cspwal said:

From the website - looks like phase 1 doesn't want their address published

I don't think you understand. You have to be part of the HIVE "Mind" to make community input, and apparently know where its located. You can't choose the HIVE life, the HIVE life chooses you!

Archived