Wells Fargo Plaza: Office Skyscraper At 1000 Louisiana St.

Montrose1100

23 hours ago, lockmat said:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it just sort of an empty plaza/stairwell?

Yep, the plaza has a constantly broken fountain wall and was surrounded by a tunnel hallway on one side and a secondary lobby and vault on the other.  This could actually be a pretty cool addition. 

• Like 2

From the Wells-Fargo promotional material: " > Epicenter of Downtown Houston"
Online dictionary definition of 'epicenter': 1. the point on the earth's surface vertically above the focus of an earthquake. 2. the central point of something, typically a difficult or unpleasant situation.

You've been warned.

Edited by dbigtex56

• 1 month later...

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/08-06-18-adair-concepts-new-restaurant-wells-fargo-plaza-downtown-cbre-group/

prominent Houston restaurant group is bringing a new concept to downtown's central business district. 

Adair Concepts, the company behind Adair Kitchen, Eloise Nichols Grill & Liquors, and Bebidas, will open a new restaurant in the Wells Fargo Plaza office building, local real estate firm CBRE Group, Inc. announced. Slated to arrive in the fall of 2019, the new restaurant will serve breakfast, lunch, and happy hour-style bites to downtown office workers who will be able to access the restaurant from either the street level or the tunnel system. Local architecture firm Gensler will collaborate with McGarr Design & Interiors on the design of the approximately 4,600 square foot space.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/30/2004 at 12:06 PM, Subdude said:

It is a bit dated, but I like Wells Fargo more than its contemporaries (e.g. Chase Tower). The design in plan is two offset quarter-circles, although it is often said to be based on a dollar sign. While it lends some visual interest to the exterior, the shape to me makes the interior spaces a bit awkward.

Found an early analysis of that shape published in Texas Architect in a 1981 article.  Little known fact -- URL linking to a specific page number 64 within a PDF requires (or used to require) you to type #page=64 after the '.pdf' for some browsers to handle it, and #page64 for others.  Here's the link, and here's another if that didn't take your browser straight there.  

TA-1981-03-04.pdf#page64%E2%80%8B%E2%80%

Edited by strickn

On 8/30/2004 at 9:32 AM, h-townrep said:

I use to work on the 71st floor of Chase and on a low foggy morning, all you could see was the Wells Fargo tower, BOA and the then Transco Tower and Sanfelipe in a distance. That was pure beauty. Wells Fargo has a pretty cool design on top also. $$$$$$$

It's attractive all right.  Less elegantly modern than Chase but much more likeable.  San Felipe Plaza in the distance was designed by the same firm (Houston had a Skidmore, Owings and Merrill office at that time; Chase's designer IM Pei had a Dallas office in the 1980s) that designed Wells Fargo Plaza, with the quarter-circles offset a different amount in the footprint.  

Here's a picture of SFP that shows it, from the May-June 1982 Texas Architect article (with a lot of other fun pictures) on the state's crop of new towers.  Many of them were post-deregulation investments from prosperous lenders who required heavy taxpayer-funded bailouts a few years later, to help keep the state's cities from becoming world-class tumbleweed farms.

TA-1982-05-06.pdf#page=49

Edited by strickn
  • Like 4

On 12/11/2020 at 2:53 PM, strickn said:

Found an early analysis of that shape published in Texas Architect in a 1981 article.  Little known fact -- URL linking to a specific page number 64 within a PDF requires (or used to require) you to type #page=64 after the '.pdf' for some browsers to handle it, and #page64 for others.  Here's the link, and here's another if that didn't take your browser straight there.  

TA-1981-03-04.pdf#page64%E2%80%8B%E2%80%

Wow Strickn,

Thank you for this! Check out Eagle Plaza in Midland! They WISH! 

Also, I don't think I've ever seen such a clear rendering of the Campeau Tower. She's interesting for sure.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2018 at 1:56 PM, lockmat said:

I can't see many people getting excited about this, but it's a little somethin'...

http://ucr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Wells-Fargo-Plaza-Retail-brochure.pdf

This graphic from that brochure shows the space as being on the plaza level.  

Can anyone report whether Adair Downtown restaurant, which opened in this spot a year ago this week, has an entrance door from the plaza, as finally constructed, or entrances only from WFP lobby and the tunnel?  Thanks!

Edited by strickn

On 1/23/2021 at 3:38 PM, strickn said:

This graphic from that brochure shows the space as being on the plaza level.  

Can anyone report whether Adair Downtown restaurant, which opened in this spot a year ago this week, has an entrance door from the plaza, as finally constructed, or entrances only from WFP lobby and the tunnel?  Thanks!

The photos on their website shows an entrance from the plaza area.

• 6 months later...

Anybody know why Wells Fargo and Chase Towers have not had there decorative lighting on for the last few months? Seems like ever since people got ticked off that the lights were on downtown during the freeze they decided to not light them back up. Sad seeing our skyline at night and our two tallest are dark. 

I think that our crappy grid continues to be tested periodically during the hot summer months, it makes better sense for them to lay-off the lighting for a while.  I think if I were managing the building, I'd do the same thing.  I bet they light up again in the fall.   

• The title was changed to Wells Fargo Tower: Office Skyscraper In Downtown
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Is The Wells Fargo Plaza Water Wall Dead For Good?
  • The title was changed to Wells Fargo Plaza: Office Skyscraper At 1000 Louisiana St.