Wells Fargo Plaza: Office Skyscraper At 1000 Louisiana St.

Montrose1100

Is the Wells Fargo skylobby open to the public?

No, your best chance to get up there is to be in business attire and just act like you belong. You will have to do  this during normal business hours. They typically have 1-2 security guards on either side of the elevator banks.  Another good idea is to go into the tunnels and take the direct skylobby elevator from there. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does the Wells Fargo skylobby have an advantage over the Chase tower skylobby?

I'm planning on visiting the Chase tower skylobby since it's open to the public.

If you only see on Chase Tower is the way to go. Wells Fargo has a grand lobby on the 50 something floor, white marble, really awesome. The views offer the Chase Tower, the old Enron/new Chevron complex, and a view of discovery green. It depends on the time of day you go. Wells Fargo always seems to have worse glare.

I have been up to the Wells Fargo skylobby about 5 times now since my first post.  Just dress nice and you should be fine.  Worse case, they just ask you to leave.  I was caught once, but had shorts/sandals on and was feeling lucky.  The skylobby elevators for Wells Fargo are to your left when you walk in, on the last elevator bank.

Chase Skylobby 60th floor:

14377423076_ba52088246_c.jpg

Wells Fargo Lobby 58/59th floor with lots of morning glare:

14213967370_a982866525_c.jpg

• Like 4

The Chase Lobby is one story, but Wells Fargo has a grand two story lobby on two levels (floors 58 and 59).  Really cool.  It almost has a surreal feeling to it. Not many people get up there/even know about it.  Legend has it, the Bank of America Tower also has a very secret and hidden skylobby that looks out towards Heritage Plaza and City hall.  I have been on 20 different floors in that building up top, haven't found it yet.  Still searching though, I will find it soon enough.

Edited by mlyoung83

I've known about the Chase and Wells Fargo sky lobbies for a good while. I first saw the Chase (then Texas Commerce Bank Building) Sky Lobby back in 1983 during a field trip in the 8th grade. Then first saw the Wells Fargo (Think it was the Allied Bank Building then) lobby in 1987 during the grand opening weekend of the George R Brown Convention center. My cousins and I were wondering downtown and went looking for the Hit Video USA studios in the Allied Bank Building. We found it and somehow stumbled on the sky lobby. I've been there a few times since. For awhile I was curious to see what other buildings had a sky lobby as well. The old Tenneco building looks like it may have had an open air deck at one time that circled the entire top floor. Anyone know if that's what it was?

Hey KyleJack I had the exact same experience as your friend once not long after 9/11. My kids and I tried to get up there but they wouldn't let us and also told us it wasn't open to the public. It has since been reopened. 

I'm not aware that the Tenneco Building had an observation deck open to the public.  However, when I was a kid, the place to go was the observation deck near the top of the Humble Bldg. (now the ExxonMobil Bldg.).  The Petroleum club occupied the top 2 floors, so the deck must have occupied all of Floor 42.  Besides the view, an additional fun feature there was a coin-operated machine that would make a rubber replica of the building while you watched.

I wonder if the deck will be reinstated once XOM moves out and Shorenstein redevelops the building.  I imagine the views now would be pretty cool -- since this building is offset from the main cluster of towers, rather than being right in their midst.

I'm not aware that the Tenneco Building had an observation deck open to the public.  However, when I was a kid, the place to go was the observation deck near the top of the Humble Bldg. (now the ExxonMobil Bldg.).  The Petroleum club occupied the top 2 floors, so the deck must have occupied all of Floor 42.  Besides the view, an additional fun feature there was a coin-operated machine that would make a rubber replica of the building while you watched.

71245543.jpg

• Like 4

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On December 2, 2004 at 4:50 PM, Heights2Bastrop said:

Yes, VH1 originated in Houston. I knew about it, but I weasn't into it or MTV back then, so I don't know all that much about how it got started. I do know that it was 1985 when they were in Allied Bank.

no actually it wasn't VH1, it was a local low power video channel that went under the calls K05HU with the moniker "TV5" then later "Hit Video USA". VH1 had already signed on in early '85, K05HU went on air in July. Hit Video attempted to go national on cable but it never panned out as they hoped. 

• Like 1

On December 13, 2004 at 8:11 PM, MidtownCoog said:

I call BS on the VH1 starting in Houston.

Show me in print.

You are getting it confused with that old station on Ch 43(?) that played the four same videos day after day. A local station from downtown.

Duran Duran, Dire Straights, Tina Turner...

ok, three videos.

Channel 5

• 1 year later...