On 12/1/2020 at 7:38 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

I'm not talking about an immediate presence downtown. But considering the move along with the development of the Innovation District, as more and more "cool" companies start to move here, I could def see offices downtown or something in the future. 

Doubtful. The "cool companies" (I assume you mean hip Tech Companies like Twitter and Google; I wouldn't exactly put an enterprise business like HPE in that group) generally put their biggest offices in large suburban campus locations even now (Google is based out of Mountain View, California, Microsoft is based out of Redmond, Washington, Apple is based out of Cupertino, California, etc.). Even if they did move to Houston, for lower taxes and such, they would move to the suburbs, maybe as close in as Westchase or the Energy Corridor, not to a huge skyscraper downtown. The only company I could actually see doing that would would be Amazon, since they are already headquartered at a huge skyscraper in downtown Seattle, but we all saw what happened with HQ2. Also, maybe Twitter, since they are actually based out of San Francisco, but even Twitter is not based out of large skyscraper.

1 hour ago, Big E said:

Doubtful. The "cool companies" (I assume you mean hip Tech Companies like Twitter and Google; I wouldn't exactly put an enterprise business like HPE in that group) generally put their biggest offices in large suburban campus locations even now (Google is based out of Mountain View, California, Microsoft is based out of Redmond, Washington, Apple is based out of Cupertino, California, etc.). Even if they did move to Houston, for lower taxes and such, they would move to the suburbs, maybe as close in as Westchase or the Energy Corridor, not to a huge skyscraper downtown. The only company I could actually see doing that would would be Amazon, since they are already headquartered at a huge skyscraper in downtown Seattle, but we all saw what happened with HQ2. Also, maybe Twitter, since they are actually based out of San Francisco, but even Twitter is not based out of large skyscraper.

I'm not saying they should locate to a massive skyscraper downtown. But the idea of small satellite offices downtown/Innovation District that allow people off the street to see the new products HPE is developing is a possibility. I know that big corporations all set up shop in the burbs for a number of reasons. And in no way am I putting HPE on the same level as Google or Twitter. What I am saying is they have the ability to really make their presence known throughout the city, not just in their bubble in the burbs. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I'm not saying they should locate to a massive skyscraper downtown. But the idea of small satellite offices downtown/Innovation District that allow people off the street to see the new products HPE is developing is a possibility. I know that big corporations all set up shop in the burbs for a number of reasons. And in no way am I putting HPE on the same level as Google or Twitter. What I am saying is they have the ability to really make their presence known throughout the city, not just in their bubble in the burbs. 

The stuff HPE sells is expensive, and large, and the prospective buyers know about it already. It's much cheaper to use email and a website to put out the word on new products.

• Like 5

Yes, HPE makes servers and server-room gear and owns some companies that make networking stuff you'd find in a large office or school campus setting. The side of HP that made personal computers and printers is now called HP Inc and is separate. I'd assume they employ a ton of (well paid) engineers who are sort to like living way out in the burbs and working from home whenever possible.

It seems like tech has always been really suburban in their location preferences, with a few like Facebook and Amazon being exceptions. Back in the 1960s IBM built campuses and plants in locations which were practically rural (but near college towns or the edge of cities) like Armonk, NY or Essex Junction, VT. Also IBM was one of the first companies to really push telecommuting, and that was way way back when the internet barely existed.

I think what's missed are the smaller software or IT services companies that seem to locate in downtown or urban office locations because such locations are cool. Also in some cities there are some really huge data centers in the lower floors of many skyscrapers.

The stuff HPE sells is expensive, and large, and the prospective buyers know about it already. It's much cheaper to use email and a website to put out the word on new products.

Sometimes these companies do fun stuff for customers, like you can go in person to events or whatever and they send goody boxes full of yogurt pretzels or RC powered drone toys to the IT office

Edited by zaphod
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It was a very nice day so I decided to take a walk around Springwoods Village to see the new HP campus and also the state of it so far. I found a lot of people walking around, enjoying the various trails and park space in the crisp fall air. The small urban center section had a couple of businesses open, including a Chipotle. This area is coming along, I think it needs much more permanent residential units to create more activity.

(All photos taken by myself)

This is the new HP Enterprise headquarters building, looks to be making a lot of progress:

yyb5JKo.jpg?1

Looking up the street past the American Bureau of Shipping office. To the left is Common Bond Bistro and Bakery. I think they were still getting ready to open.

9x8gIbh.jpg?1

The central plaza area, with the residential buildings behind it. There was Christmas music playing and there was a family with kids there doing something.

RmsQzpG.jpg?1

View towards the Marriot with the small lake out in front. So which one of you other HAIF people was out taking photos at the same time? Lol

WomHtkh.jpg?1

A bridge over the lake. Not pictured, but below it is actually a dam/spillway that's a good 20 feet tall. The lakes pour over into one another.

UEeRqSx.jpg?1

A closer view of the HP Inc. Campus, as seen from the walking trail:

jrqnKPn.jpg?1

• Like 9

• The title was changed to Springwoods Village: New Community At I-45 N. And Grand Parkway Next To ExxonMobil
  • 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to City Place: New Community At I-45 N. And Grand Parkway Next To ExxonMobil
  • The title was changed to City Place: Mixed-Use At I-45 And Grand Parkway
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to City Place: Mixed-Use Development At I-45 And Grand Pkwy.
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Fein Acquires Land in City Place | Realty News Report

"Later this year, Fein will start building a 326-unit apartment project on the site, 2002 Spring Stuebner Road. The new residential community is named Echo Lake.

Fein purchased the City Place land from CDC Houston, a subsidiary of Coventry Development Corporation of New York."

• Like 6