University of Houston Football Stadium

a-ha... jackassery. I love it. a new word.

University of Houston - Cullen ... UH-Main Campus... or whatever name it is referred to now... 

I see it as no accident that the timing of the new stadium is on par with the seeking of a higher university designation. I'm sure it's all part of a master plan (along with the new campus construction) to boost UH enrollment, image, and improve the overall scholastic environment. I would be worried if they weren't trying to. Not to mention, the stadium was waaaaay overdue for an update. I can't wait to attend a game, to see what they have done.

BTW - Not just anyone can get in to the Cullen campus, anymore. 3.0 - Minimum GPA, it is, last I checked. By all means, correct me if I am wrong. I think you have to look at your individual undergraduate or graduate plans to decide which Texas university is best for you. Bauer College of Business comes highly rated. I consider myself lucky to be a resident of a state with so many choices. 

One of my professors mentioned once, that UT and Texas A&M are painted as rivals, but they both share a history of gifted lands with oil royalties. He also said that UH was fighting a while back in court for their share of the Public University - Texas piece of that pie. 

• Like 2

Check out this high resolution panoramic shot of the stadium. You can pan and zoom in.

http://gigapixel.panoramas.com/houston/football/20140829/

i had heard about this beforehand, and new that this was forthcoming.  but MAN.. this was completely and totally awe inspiring.  not to mention TOTALLY COOL!  props for sharing shasta!

• Like 1

It looks kinda cool, but I've been spoiled by the Kyle Field construction. :P

Every other stadium I've seen recently seems more like a overbudgeted high school stadium. :unsure:

I feel that.. I had the pleasure of getting to watch the nicest college stadium in Texas go up over the last 2 years (as my friend put it.. "Damn! That hoe looks like an NFL stadium!!"), for the best team in the state.

Sic 'em! And let's hope the coogs get it together this weekend.

• Like 3

Texas_Longhorns_Logo.png

if i have said it once, i shall say it a thousand times more.. i am beyond proud of houston, baylor, aTm, and all the other's that are

hereby constructing, expanding, renovating, and polishing up the respective stadiums.

TEXAS, has recently announced that we are preparing to spend upwards $750 million dollars towards our new 

facility upgrades, construction, and so forth.  DKR, shall finally become fully enclosed, and shall harbor every bell and whistle, none to football mankind.

from what i have been hearing lately, it look's like moncrief neuhaus football complex, shall be demolished, and the largest football facility in the nation, shall replace it.

also, from what we are now hearing, the new TEXAS athletic dorms, shall be so very luxurious, that even some hotels shall become envious.  

additionally, the new $400+ million TEXAS basketball arena, that they are currently scouting around downtown austin for.. is now being envisioned as the best collegiate arena upon this planet.

TEXAS, has indeed sat around and twiddled it's collective thumbs as per decades.. adding small cosmetic touches here and there.  everyone else, has either surpassed us, or damn near.

coach charlie strong is now in place... and the new TEXAS dawn, has officially arrived!  HOOK'EM!

• Like 1

Texas_Longhorns_Logo.png

if i have said it once, i shall say it a thousand times more.. i am beyond proud of houston, baylor, aTm, and all the other's that are

hereby constructing, expanding, renovating, and polishing up the respective stadiums.

TEXAS, has recently announced that we are preparing to spend upwards $750 million dollars towards our new

facility upgrades, construction, and so forth. DKR, shall finally become fully enclosed, and shall harbor every bell and whistle, none to football mankind.

from what i have been hearing lately, it look's like moncrief neuhaus football complex, shall be demolished, and the largest football facility in the nation, shall replace it.

also, from what we are now hearing, the new TEXAS athletic dorms, shall be so very luxurious, that even some hotels shall become envious.

additionally, the new $400+ million TEXAS basketball arena, that they are currently scouting around downtown austin for.. is now being envisioned as the best collegiate arena upon this planet.

TEXAS, has indeed sat around and twiddled it's collective thumbs as per decades.. adding small cosmetic touches here and there. everyone else, has either surpassed us, or damn near.

coach charlie strong is now in place... and the new TEXAS dawn, has officially arrived! HOOK'EM!

That's awesome! I didn't realize they could enclose the bowl at DKR. I thought it had to be left open as part of the "capital corridor" sight lines or w/e? I hope you guys regain title of biggest stadium in the state.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • The title was changed to University of Houston Football Stadium
  • 3 months later...

With the recent conference realignment news, and acceptance for that fact, I went dinging around for some of the old TDECU 60k renderings and plans. I'm hopping in the near future there's going to be a need to expand the stadium, although this should be a given if they're competitive in the BIG 12.

b89e78ab9afba8a096c1b00de1a802e98f019c36.jpg.d3876d6e286e0922a9d237dc98e99866.jpg

cf12a28f842774bf138bac7a8712b716bd4cb44d.jpg.22579ab205863ea6d6d8bceb5a2591ee.jpg

c46be952ad0e63e215086a734e60fb1a25956da2.thumb.jpg.7ba4b960dbd2fa422b8ade726c27f6e2.jpg

Also, does anybody have any other renderings of the expanded stadium; or just old renderings in general? 

• Like 3

I say no to expansion. TDECU is larger than Cincinnati's stadium and basically the same as Baylor and within 10,000 of TCU, Kansas, K State, and UCF. Expansion talk should only happen after 4-5 years of season sellouts. 

UH needs to finish the press level with more suites (there's room for 4-6 more suites) and add more chair backed seats. I'd like to see the entire lower bowl outside of the student section with chair backs and most of the 200 level. The biggest need is to add ramps to get to the upper deck and add restrooms and concessions on that level. The stairs are a brutal climb.

• Like 6

New Big XII:  Enrollments and Football Stadium Capacities

Enrollment        Capacity

BYU:                            33,633             63,470

Iowa State:                  36,350             61,500

Texas Tech:                 36,551             60,454

West Virginia:             24,488             60,000

Oklahoma State:         25,622             55,509

Kansas:                        27,565             50,250

Kansas State:              23,779             50,000

UCF:                            68,571             48,000

Baylor:                         18,033             45,140

TCU:                            10,394             45,000

Houston:                     47,090             40,000 +SRO

Cincinnati:                   45,949             40,000

• Like 3

the UH/TT game this year sold over 40k tickets.

that chart shows that they will have the smallest capacity in the big 12.

if this game occurs in more 'normal times' (aka not a pandemic) and is a 'game that matters' (aka conference game), tickets are going to be hard to get even in NRG where the capacity is over 70k, and then add to it when they are back in the top 25, or if their opponent is in the top 25?

as an example, in 2015 and 2016 it was as near an impossible ticket as you could get for sports tickets in Houston.

they don't have to expand, but I think if they don't expand they better have a really good relationship with NRG to ensure that when there are important home games for UH that the Texans are on the road that weekend.

Edited by samagon