Montrose HEB At 1701 W. Alabama St.

Porchman

Do you support the HEB development?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the HEB development?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dunno
    • Live in Montrose, but don't care
    • Don't live in Montrose, so why should I care?

Went yesterday morning and was quite impressed with the store layout. Texas-sized scale and proportions of everything (from aisles, displays, and parking spaces) yielding the "wide and open" but not the "grand or monumental" perspectives. The amount of clerestory glass really lifts the roof and gives it a good compositional balance to the park like parking lot.

Glad to not have to shop at the Buffalo Speedway HEB anymore.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's talk on Swamplot today about the Fiesta property being up for sale and speculation of transforming it into a West Ave. type development. Fiesta's lease is up in 2014, but they have an early-out option.

• 2 weeks later...
Now almost one month later, the market has still failed to secure its liquor license, due in part to a protest by nearby St. Stephen's Episcopal School. (Although the church's main campus is more than the required 300 feet away on the corner of West Alabama and Woodhead, a smaller satellite building used for classrooms is closer to the H-E-B site on the corner of Woodhead and Sul Ross.)

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/12-05-11-amid-news-of-montrose-h-e-b-tabc-troubles-residents-learn-long-time-fiesta-is-imminently-closing/

The H-E-B Montrose Market, 1701 West Alabama, which had its grand opening Nov. 16 without beer and wine has secured its license today.

CultureMap.com is reporting that the dispute between the store and St. Stephen’s Episcopal School is over:

County Judge Ed Emmett signed off later that day (Monday) on a ruling by his legal counsel, Bill Henderson, to grant the grocer its long-awaited beer and wine license. (Despite the title, Emmett is not a judge, nor even a lawyer. But all local beer and wine licenses, in contrast to hard liquor licenses, go through the county judge’s office, although the Austin-based TABC may make recommendations.)

Now the school has 20 days to file for another hearing, although that request can be denied by the TABC.

The Montrose H-E-B plans to sell packaged beer and wine by the bottle as well as beer and wine by the glass. The front of the store has a patio for music concerts and a stage for live music, and customers will be able to take their cups of beer or wine to the patio.

• 1 month later...

i was there last sunday. they had live music with a good amount of people sitting outside listening. full of shoppers inside, but they had all the checkout lanes open and we were able to get through pretty quick. selling beer and wine too.

• 5 months later...

Does this make HEB evil for opening a new store across from Fiests in order to make it shut down? I've been told that the only reason Walmart is opening on Yale is to make Target on Sawyer close, and that therefore, Walmart is evil. Surely, HEB is also evil.

Does this make HEB evil for opening a new store across from Fiests in order to make it shut down? I've been told that the only reason Walmart is opening on Yale is to make Target on Sawyer close, and that therefore, Walmart is evil. Surely, HEB is also evil.

I meant I was posting it to this thread since it is across the street from the topic at hand. Not everyone needs a conspiracy theory to explain a business transaction.

That said, I imagine the HEB store managers are happy with this news and looking forward to hundreds more prospective customers moving in next door in place of a competitor. Maybe sales will increase as a result, and perhaps the managers will receive bonuses based on the increased sales. And maybe this makes them greedy...does that make them evil?

We have a vortex of evil then at Kirkwood and Westheimer where we have a HEB across from a Walmart...oh the humanity!

In only tenuously related news...a Fiesta has just opened at Westheimer and Dairy Ashford so I guess as one door closes in Montrose, another door opens in West Houston.

so HEB anticipated this Fiesta opening right down the street and opened a few years previous to the Fiesta? They truly are evil (and apparently soothsayers to boot)!

• The title was changed to Montrose HEB At 1701 W. Alabama St.

Archived