Montrose HEB At 1701 W. Alabama St.

Porchman

Do you support the HEB development?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the HEB development?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dunno
    • Live in Montrose, but don't care
    • Don't live in Montrose, so why should I care?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm approaching from the west along a neighbourhood street and I have the option of parking on Sul Ross and walking in vs heading North on Woodhead, right on Alabama, south on Dunlavy, (or south on woodhead, left on west main and north on Dunlavy) I'll park on the street every time.

I hope they're fascists about keeping their shopping carts on the lot as well. There are enough of those lying round the place.

Anyway, glad to see that they are opting for more neutral colors

I have mixed feelings about the neutral colors. Imagine a Day-Glo, black light psychedelic poster in grays; it would lose much of its impact. To a more subtle degree (one hopes), the use of color in design also applies to architecture. Color is an integral part of the design process.

The renditions I've seen are small and lack detail, so it's hard for me to judge if the lack of color will transform a good design to something rather bland. From what I can determine, the proposed colors weren't garish.I understand that neighbors don't want something that looks like the Vegas strip. But trying to make a grocery store look like an extension of the Menil collection by using neutral colors seems like giving Pamela Anderson a tweed bikini in hopes she'll look more like a college professor.

Why are people suddenly so afraid of color? Gray cars, off-white walls, beige stucco... safe choices! Also timid, uninspired and depressing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update: a tree company is making its way through the lot, I've seen one of their trucks parked there the last few mornings....

So sad to see these magnificent trees chopped down...

5149972655_677621f0f7.jpg

Before The Destruction by groovehouse, on Flickr

5149972545_51d84b41ed.jpg

Its Fate Lies In The Number by groovehouse, on Flickr

• 1 month later...
Around this site, he found more college grads than any zip code in Texas and “a strange abundance of architects.” And they wanted a park on the site. So Scott compromised.

Then he brought in a forester and landscape architects McDugald-Steele to keep trees on site and give the facility a park feel. He tells us this is the most expensive lot H-E-B has ever bought, it cost him considerably more to draft numerous designs, and leaving room for trees and gathering space constrained his building to 78k SF. So why bother? Scott tells us developing a store that people like and feel connected to creates loyalty and increases activity. Residents wanted good pedestrian access, so the café above opens out to the street. And based on feedback, they added windows to the wall facing Alabama so it wasn’t as intrusive and are putting up a green wall. This location will be H-E-B’s third to get LEED cert, and Scott predicts this (like the others) will be Silver.

look for groundbreaking in late spring and opening in December. A GC hasn’t been selected yet.

http://www.bisnow.com/houston_commercial_real_estate_news_story.php?p=12431

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I will miss the Fiesta on Dunlavy terribly. (My guess is that it will be history shortly after the opening of the new HEB). The Fiesta store is the only grocery store I've shopped at or shop at currently where the manager actually knows me and greets me and on occasion we discuss food or wine or whatever. I like that even though I'm a bit of an introvert. I even have a connection with some of the checkers who have been there for a while.

Though the main thing I like about the old Fiesta is the small footprint of the store. Aging boomer that I am with lots of chronic pain, I hate the thought of the increase in square footage I'm going to have to walk in the new store, let alone possible requirements to climb stairs. I wonder if they have considered that not all their customers are healthy?

Though I won't miss the poor shelve inventory management at Fiesta that seems to have gotten worse in recent weeks. If I were a conspiracy theorist, I might suspect that some buyer on the inside of Fiesta is getting a payoff from HEB to sabotage the inventory by changing the items and brands very often. Seems that once I develop a loyalty to a particular item, bingo - it no longer is on the shelf and they have changed to something else. This has actually driven me to shop at Whole Foods much more than I used to.

As far as the quality of the HEB brand, I have found it to be extremely poor. My husband and I are mostly vegetarian and rarely buy "food in a box" so not sure about HEB brand meat products or processed food but things like soup or cheese or cereal or pasta or paper products or pharmaceuticals are things I don't buy if I can avoid given my experience. Their produce is pretty good though prices for produce such as jalapenos, bell peppers, lettuce is so much more than Fiesta (judging by prices on store on Buffalo Speedway), I'm definitely not looking forward to not having the option to shop at Fiesta.

I doubt I will be shopping at the new HEB on Dunlavy except for a few items (which will primarily include the salad bar). The new huge store (with Fiesta going away) will probably drive me to shop more at Whole Foods (hoping their parking gets better once some customers change their shopping to the new store being built on Waugh).

I sympathize. I'm not sure I follow your logic though since the Whole Foods you refer to is at least as big as the HEB under construction. And whatever issues you might have with HEB's inventory, it can't be any worse than Fiesta's. At any rate I'm sure HEB will make provision in the new store for those lacking freedom of movement. Without being conversant with the ADA act, they may even be required to.....anyway, personally (and until it actually closes this is all hypothetical) I won't miss much about Fiesta apart from their wine inventory which is incongruously comprehensive.

• 2 months later...

Update: drainage is going on on Dunlavy and it's down to one lane near the intersection with Alabama. Traffic is stacking up on Woodhead and one presumes other N/S neighbourhood thoroughfares as people look for other routes. This part's gonna hurt for a while I suppose....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Surprised no one has updated this since late Sept, hopefully I can snap some photos with my phone the next I ride by. I believe this store opens within the next two weeks and based on what I've seen so far this is a really nice looking store (easily the best looking grocery store I have seen in Houston in my opinion). They really did a great job of preserving and adding trees compared to what we usually see in Houston. I can't wait for this to open as it will even be closer to me than the Kroger off Montrose.

Road the bikes by yesterday and see they are stocking the store. The security guard says Nov. 16th for the opening. Looking foward to sitting outside with a cup of coffee on the patio watching the fountain change colors and listening to music on the outdoor speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait for this HEB to open and from what I've seen driving by it looks great. I grew up in San Antonio where there were tons of HEBs. When I moved to Houston I missed them so. For me, the shopping experience is better, the quality of the food is better (especially the meat and produce). Living in Midtown, I've had it with Randalls and Kroger - especially their produce. I drive to the HEB on Buffalo Speedway right now just to get quality food - however, their parking sucks ;)

Anyway, I just like their stores and food. Just my two cents. It's going to look much better then the rat trap of a Fiesta across the street. I wouldn't shop in a Fiesta with your money ;)

Store was packed today. The inside is pretty open which is different from the Buffalo Speedway location but the inside doesn't have the same impact as the outside. Lots of people were out eating on the patio and they did a great job in maintaining as many trees as possible in my opinion (preserved most of the larger trees). They differently need to add more bike racks and the the lack of alcohol license sucks.

Looking foward to sitting outside with a cup of coffee on the patio watching the fountain change colors and listening to music on the outdoor speakers.

I'm curious, but I've been trying to understand this new trend of hanging out at a grocery store like it's a restaurant or coffee shop. To me, it's like saying "I can't wait to hang out at Target's food area". Yeah, it's much fancier, but still... you're at a huge grocery store. Can someone explain to me why they'd even consider spending a second hanging here over a place like Brasil or Agora? Is it an older generation type thing?

It's pretty common to see old folks (mostly men) hanging out in the grocery store drinking coffee. With this HEB, it's almost a park-like setting, so they'll get alot of pedestrian traffic from the neighborhood.

I'm curious, but I've been trying to understand this new trend of hanging out at a grocery store like it's a restaurant or coffee shop. To me, it's like saying "I can't wait to hang out at Target's food area". Yeah, it's much fancier, but still... you're at a huge grocery store. Can someone explain to me why they'd even consider spending a second hanging here over a place like Brasil or Agora? Is it an older generation type thing?

I think it's about watching people as they push carts around and shop, and hearing cash registers and kids screaming in the background. You know, atmosphere.

Lol, not sure on the draw from hanging out at a grocery store, unless it's in the produce section to pick up ladies ...

A nice coffee shop, it can be a good atmosphere outside the house to read, study, do some work, or just meet interesting people ...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Not to mention old folk like to have a place to sit and gossip and it is not the only place they hang out in. If you casually look at most places that have a small coffee area (doesn't have to be a starbucks inside), you'll find people casually just reading the paper.

Would probably be an ideal place to get away from the spouse in the mornings.

No booze on opening day??? I hope no-one loses their job but at stern talking-to seems in order for someone! :-)

Anyway, Dunlavy so far seems to be accommodating the traffic pretty well so tip of the cap to HEB for doing their homework on that. Dunlavy is so much less of a PITA to navigate now with the dedicated turn lanes. Just this morning as I left for a bike ride I noticed more pedestrian traffic on the street and then did a quick tour of the parking lot - there's an impressive amount of shade and space given over to pedestrian traffic. I know it's early days yet but I'm giving this shop a thumbs up based on evidence to date.

Went there this morning.....the store seems huge (lots of windows help), the aisles are wider too....I like how the glass-front freezers lights are on motion sensors...the lights are off until you walk by when they automatically turn on....

There were more "associates" in the store than customers (it was only 8:00am)...all of them saying "hi" to everyone that walked by...

It is a very nice store...

Archived