GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

<br />Agreed, but we are WELL on the way. Roughly two blocks of surface lot is already gone with the Discovery Green development. If the Embassy Suites goes forward (and I don't think we have any particular reason to doubt that it will), we will only have one block left with surface lots on both sides and one-half block with surface lot on one side (behind Josephine's). Not so bad, considering HP is still almost a year from opening.<br />

What interests me the most is how it was said these kind of developments set off a mini-boom of development in the surrounding area. In any case, Denton couldnyt have picked a better spot. The area is literally surrounded by surface lots BEGGING to be turned into retail CASH COWS. A parking lot may bring in a good sum of money per day, but a hotel or condo? Tons more.

About 2 months ago, I posted a block by block look at the overall site as I walked along Polk Street, and shot from the top floor of the Main Garage (Now renamed Pavilions Parking Garage). Here's a bit of an update, with photos taken on Friday (12/7). I tried to shoot from some of the same locations, but was a bit pressed for time.

Main & Polk Block

DSC01980.jpg

DSC01971.jpg

DSC01972.jpg

DSC01975.jpg

DSC01976.jpg

Above Polk Street

DSC01977.jpg

Pavilions Tower

DSC01978.jpg

DSC01981.jpg

Polk & Caroline Block

DSC01982.jpg

DSC01983.jpg

Looking Back

DSC01986.jpg

I can't believe these dudes had the balls to do this. :P

Do what, exactly?

One of the more interesting things that caught my attention in the construction is over on the HOB section where they're actually putting up sheets of wood. Is that supposed to be part of Sound dampening or something?

It truly is a pity that a hotel couldn't be included in there. They would have seen a considerable amount of business.

I still say I pity the managers of employees that work there. The staff is bound to disappear on noon on fridays for bowling at lunch. LOL.

Do what, exactly?

Build HP.

I don't know about the wood paneling though but here's som random HOB pics. I wonder if our facade will look like this or if they're all unique. What is that, that same tin sheeting those townhomes in midtown are made of?

house-of-blues.jpg

hobmyrtlebeachsc.jpg

hob3.jpg

Build HP.

I don't know about the wood paneling though but here's som random HOB pics. I wonder if our facade will look like this or if they're all unique. What is that, that same tin sheeting those townhomes in midtown are made of?

I think the timing and location are right. So it should prove interesting as to what HP does, but I think there is enough transient (hotel/convention business) and local (Houston Residents) traffic that it should prove profitable.

What I meant to say was "plywood sheets" that are currently being put in, I assume that this is going to be covered up by whatever facade they have in mind. I'm just puzzled as to WHY.

I think the timing and location are right. So it should prove interesting as to what HP does, but I think there is enough transient (hotel/convention business) and local (Houston Residents) traffic that it should prove profitable. What I meant to say was "plywood sheets" that are currently being put in, I assume that this is going to be covered up by whatever facade they have in mind. I'm just puzzled as to WHY.

Oh I know its gonna succeed, the Hyatt, Omni, Marriott, Humble Tower, Houston House, Four Seasons and Hilton are all walking distance and the Rockets games are gonna provide the built in night crowd.

Yeah I know the plywood you're talkin about, I guess they can't put up the metal sheeting directly on the metal frame, they have to nail it to plywood?

aren't you the person who likes Chipoltle? if so that is sad. just having a doctor's appointmnt is so more valuable than you willl claim? the med center provides so many options than you cant buy your girlfriend a bracelet.

gallery_1_28_7599.jpg

I was in Houston for the first time in months this past weekend, and I had the chance to drive by the Pavilions and One Park Place. I have to say even from the initial renderings I was excited, but after driving by the construction process on the Pavilions, I am beyond excited. The scope is so much bigger in real life and just seeing those 3 blocks being entirely taken up by this is pretty amazing!!! It looks like this thing is going to be big!!!

Seeing those pictures I can hardly contain my excitement about this project up here in NYC!! I can't wait to go check it out in person when I'm down for the holidays. I really hope as has been discussed many times on this forum, that this along with the several other downtown projects establish critical mass for a consistent pedestrian environment and a vibrant urban atmosphere particularly at night after work lets out and in the weekends. It really improves many facets of life to at least have that option in our city(we'll still have plenty of spread out areas and that is fine as well) and will improve this Great City into another tier of world class...

Looks like the block closest to Main Street has topped out at 2 stories, and the office tower will possibly be topping out this week as well. From the webcam I think I am looking at the 11th story being completed as I write this.

Looks like the block closest to Main Street has topped out at 2 stories, and the office tower will possibly be topping out this week as well. From the webcam I think I am looking at the 11th story being completed as I write this.

Awsome. I thought all blocks would have 3 levels of retail, but looking at the rendering it does look like the block closest to Main only has 2. Either way it's getting exciting seeing everything top out!

Awsome. I thought all blocks would have 3 levels of retail, but looking at the rendering it does look like the block closest to Main only has 2. Either way it's getting exciting seeing everything top out!

I could be wrong but i think all 3 blocks do have 3 levels. Perhaps you're confusing the block with the tower to be an extra level maybe?

The rendering only shows 2 stories on the block closest to Main, which is why I assumed it had topped off.

They finished the first part of it about 3 weeks ago and haven't started a 3rd story, so I think it's only going to be 2.

I wonder how likely it is that they engineered it like the buildings in the medical center, where they can add an additional 10 stories if they want to in the future. I guess not very likely, but it would be cool if they could build a hotel on top of one of the sections that isn't only 2 or 3 stories.

I could be wrong but i think all 3 blocks do have 3 levels. Perhaps you're confusing the block with the tower to be an extra level maybe?

If you go to their website and look at the renderings it does look like the block on Main only has two stories... I could be wrong but it just looks that way.

If you go to their website and look at the renderings it does look like the block on Main only has two stories... I could be wrong but it just looks that way.

I think the renderings pretty clearly show only 2 stories on that block. But if anyone has any remaining doubts, go look at the Leasing Plans. There are only 2 stories on that block.

Interesting news...anyone have access to the whole article?

Denver Pavilions shops for buyer

The Denver Pavilions is for sale. The 350,000 square feet of retail/entertainment tenant mix, located on two blocks of the 16th Street Mall, could have a new owner within 90 days, said Pavilions co-owner Bill Denton of Entertainment Development Group Inc. (EDG) in Los Angeles.

"It will be an institutional buyer," Denton said. "With the state of the U.S. dollar, it might be an overseas buyer."

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw the HP Rep being interviewed on Fox26 and has been saying a few things about the development:

Forever 21 will have 25,000 sf Right across from Macy's

he mentioned the stores, BCBG, journey, and lids(sic?). Lids was the one that I haven't heard of before. He also mentioned a Wine bar at the pavilions.

Other than than mentioning Lucky Strike (25,000sf) and that HOB will have( 44,000sf) 2,000 seating capacity there was nothing really new that he mentioned.

I'm glad that he mentioned the seating capacity since, to my knowledge, no one has even gotten that much from the HP site or emails.

I drove by yesterday and saw that they had indeed started the "bridging" process. I am going to assume that that work will only be done during weekends.

Thanks for the info. I would be interested to know if they are on schedule for an October opening. Did they say anything about that?

I think Lids is a store that sells hats...

Oh yeah, and the webcam is back online!

This is kind of off subject, but I was thinking the other day about the parking lots on the east side of downtown near Toyota Center, GRB, and MMP. I presume that many of them are still parking lots because the land value is priced so high that it makes it hard for a developer to come in and build. So I guess my question would be why don't these people who own the parking lots, sell them to developers at a lower price, so something could get built, but they keep part ownership of the property to make up for the lower sell price? They may lose money on the sell, but they'll still be invested in the property. Instead of just trying to sell the property for a big upfront paycheck. I have no expertise in this matter, so I was kind of hoping somebody who does could maybe chime in here. Thanks everyone!!

So I guess my question would be why don't these people who own the parking lots, sell them to developers at a lower price, so something could get built, but they keep part ownership of the property to make up for the lower sell price?
a developer would want total control to avoid any potential future conflicts.