Heritage Plaza: Office Skyscraper At 1111 Bagby St.

ChannelTwoNews

Actually, that kind of situation where they light up several contiguous floors at once typically signals a recent vacancy. My guess is that was formerly Chevron's space before they moved into the former Enron buildings.

Nah, Chevron has been totally out of there for quite some time. I ought to know, I supported all the Chevron printers.

That's the Buffalo Bayou Partnership's doing, the Sabine-to-Bagby Trail. The lights are purple-blue only during new moons.

Right, and its a gradual shift. Completely white during full moons, and gradually shifts back to blue for the new moon. For anyone that hasn't been down there, you really ought to check it out. Its a cool spot to walk at night. Nice landscaping and paths. Its well-lit and patrolled by HPD in their golf cart periodically. There's a beautiful footbridge that comes up behind the Hobby parking garage. My ma lives in Sabine Street Lofts and I walk the path to get there sometimes.

Thanks so much for featuring my photograph HAIF. I was actually going for one of those night time shots with the blue sky, but the clouds came in and messed everything up. In the end I was happy with what I got anyway in the end.

• 8 months later...

This morning, 18 Feb 2010, the parking areas at the corner of Dallas & Brazos, in front of the Heritage Plaza building were blocked off. During the morning and into the afternoon trucks full of movie equipment and dressing room trailers moved in. Anybody know what may be going on. Julia Roberts and George Clooney may show up.

Maybe more Safety Point shooting? I know they're still shooting in town.

When did they change the movie title from "Retractable" to "Safety Point"?

According to the movie site, the shooting locations look like the Civil District Court on Caroline, and Irma's restaurant on N. Shenevert. No mention about Heritage Plaza.

http://www.safetypointmovie.com/volunteer/

Also, if it were about Safety Point, then either thats not what gto250us is talking about, or he heard wrong. Julia Roberts and George Clooney aren't starring in this film.

there is no confirmed name. lawsuits have already surfaced with safety point. as for a star. GEO CLOONEY is not even a wish. but if you know anyone with HIV from the 80's they may be an extra

According to the movie site, the shooting locations look like the Civil District Court on Caroline, and Irma's restaurant on N. Shenevert. No mention about Heritage Plaza.

http://www.safetypoi....com/volunteer/

Also, if it were about Safety Point, then either thats not what gto250us is talking about, or he heard wrong. Julia Roberts and George Clooney aren't starring in this film.

I thought he was just throwing out some names, not saying what he heard. At any rate, they also shot on Arlington in the Heights, and a scene near or in Hermann Park of some people watching a homeless man get hit by a train or something like that, so I guess the site doesn't list all of the shots they got.

there is no confirmed name. lawsuits have already surfaced with safety point. as for a star. GEO CLOONEY is not even a wish. but if you know anyone with HIV from the 80's they may be an extra

Well, until further name changes, it should stay as "Safety Point", as IMBD(internet movie data base), has the title as safety point. And IMBD is a good source, so any future name changes to happen, they should be visible there.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1582248/

I thought he was just throwing out some names, not saying what he heard. At any rate, they also shot on Arlington in the Heights, and a scene near or in Hermann Park of some people watching a homeless man get hit by a train or something like that, so I guess the site doesn't list all of the shots they got.

Well the site(now the site has been closed), listed only future shooting sites, so I presume they wouldn't list past shooting sites.

• 8 months later...

http://www.realert.com/headlines.php?hid=74248

"Goddard tried to sell Heritage Plaza three years ago. Market pros thought the property might command as much as $430 million, or $374/sf - a valuation that would have shattered pricing records for Houston office properties. But the market turned down, and Goddard pulled the listing."

• Like 1

http://www.realert.com/headlines.php?hid=74248

"Goddard tried to sell Heritage Plaza three years ago. Market pros thought the property might command as much as $430 million, or $374/sf - a valuation that would have shattered pricing records for Houston office properties. But the market turned down, and Goddard pulled the listing."

Forgive me, but 'iconic'?

If there was an award for "Cheesiest Post-Modern Kitsch In Architecture", Heritage Plaza would be a serious contender.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When at least when I see this, I know Im in Houston. The Mayan Pyramid up top was a massive risk for the architect but I dont know what it is about it that intrigues me......huh.gif

It's sad that the neon outline was allowed to degrade into nothing.

When I moved to Houston, about 30% of it was illuminated nightly. Then for a big downtown celebration (the last Power of Houston maybe) it was all turned on, and it was glorious. Then... it was gone.

Occasionally, one segment would light up every few months. Maybe when some janitor accidentally flipped the wrong switch looking for the lights in a storage room. But I only saw the whole thing once.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Anyone notice the new Heritage Plaza lights? It's basically just white light on the top sides of the building so far. Not sure if they will blanket the rest of the top with lights. Hoping people can get better pics

cBNqZ.jpg

xSd8b.jpg

zPErl.jpg

KZyd7.jpg

YzPYQ.jpg

edit: posted this in the right forum, right? I was thinking maybe Photographing Houston but idk

Edited by Triton
  • Like 2

I like those cool white lights a whole lot better than the warm white Christmas lights they normally turn on during the holidays. Wish they would turn on the "eagle" that used to outline the top in white neon. There was a time after they turned it off they just lit the small top portion of the roof in white neon. It looked dumb,

Edited by Metro Matt
  • Like 1

IMO the outling of buildings with neon, LEDs, or whatever is just wrong. It is banal. The "ziggurat" of the Heritage Plaza building should be uplit like the "tempieto" of the Esperson Building. This would better show the geometry that makes the building interesting in the first place.

Running strings of light around the tops of tall buildings is just unimaginative. Perhaps a stage set designer could come up with better ideas - or a third grader.

• Like 3

IMO the outling of buildings with neon, LEDs, or whatever is just wrong. It is banal. The "ziggurat" of the Heritage Plaza building should be uplit like the "tempieto" of the Esperson Building. This would better show the geometry that makes the building interesting in the first place.

Running strings of light around the tops of tall buildings is just unimaginative. Perhaps a stage set designer could come up with better ideas - or a third grader.

The whole building isn't outlined with lights, just the shoulders. I agree they do need to at least flood light that whole top feature if they're going to outline the shoulders.

Those are probably LED's spaced really close together on a string or difused in plastic tubes made to look like glass neon tubes. I highly doubt they would go back to the old neon. Its not as energy efficient & its a safety hazard with the high voltage transformers used to power the neon. The downside of using LED's is their life expectancy can be cut drastically short if allowed to over heat, over powered, or just not designed properly. Neon actually burns brighter as ambient temperature gets hotter. LED's are the opposite, they in theory like cooler temperatures below 80 degrees & burn much brighter the colder it is. In places where it stays hot all the time LED's are not a wise choice. Texas kinda falls in between that fine line.

Edited by Metro Matt
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Source: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/office/yet-another-iconic-downtown-tower-is-getting-a-new-look-101024

Brookfield is at it again. Though it is still handling renovations at Houston Center, Allen Center and Total Plaza, it is now gearing up renovations at Heritage Plaza...

Brookfield plans to completely redo its entrance with a new exterior glass curtain wall facing Dallas and Brazos streets. The updated lobby would include a live plant wall and a “social stair” with seating to encourage tenants and visitors to congregate and socialize there. The sky lobby with exterior patio on the 13th floor would be revamped, including adding new conference space and seating. The ground-floor conference center would be upgraded, as would the elevator lobbies...

Construction on Heritage Plaza, which has 1.1M SF of office and 29K SF of retail space, will begin in October and is expected to be complete in January 2021. Kirksey is designing the renovations, and O'Donnell/Snider Construction is the general contractor.

Rendering: 

Yet Another Iconic Downtown Tower Is Getting A New Look

Looks like we got another one 🥳

Edited by TheSirDingle
  • Like 8