Improvement Ideas Sought For Kirby Dr.

Subdude

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is this the first thing that pops into mind, when I read the title?

Kirby_Superstar_SNES_ScreenShot1.jpg

:P

OMG!! LOL!! The photoshopped picture with the star in the intersection is horrible! They didn't want to mess with the shadow of the utility pole or the SUV in the intersection, so they cut the image short. Didn't even attempt to blend the graphic with the pavement. Too funny! If you're gonna do something like this, do it right, make it look good. That's just my attitude when it comes to graphics.

When I first read this and before I went to the site, I thought they were going to name the intersections after sports figures or something, but they are just putting stars with the street names in the intersection. It's not really sports related, is it?

Actually, all this is going to do is create construction traffic on a super busy street for a few years. Thanks, yeah, we want this.

OMG!! LOL!! The photoshopped picture with the star in the intersection is horrible! They didn't want to mess with the shadow of the utility pole or the SUV in the intersection, so they cut the image short. Didn't even attempt to blend the graphic with the pavement. Too funny! If you're gonna do something like this, do it right, make it look good. That's just my attitude when it comes to graphics.

When I first read this and before I went to the site, I thought they were going to name the intersections after sports figures or something, but they are just putting stars with the street names in the intersection. It's not really sports related, is it?

Actually, all this is going to do is create construction traffic on a super busy street for a few years. Thanks, yeah, we want this.

Not a very professional page, eh? The title of the main page is "Kirby All Starsp."

Actually, this will be done in conjunction with already-planned reconstruction of the street and storm sewers. This project will not cause construction traffic. It will just improve the aesthetic result of construction that will be occurring regardless.

Actually, this will be done in conjunction with already-planned reconstruction of the street and storm sewers. This project will not cause construction traffic. It will just improve the aesthetic result of construction that will be occurring regardless.

Assuming, of course, that one considers a trite, over-used, unoriginal "Texas star" to be an improved aesthetic result of construction. Then again, this is the same group that placed non-functioning British phone booths at every corner. The combination of the two should really be impressive.

The trash cans and benches look decent.

Assuming, of course, that one considers a trite, over-used, unoriginal "Texas star" to be an improved aesthetic result of construction. Then again, this is the same group that placed non-functioning British phone booths at every corner. The combination of the two should really be impressive.

The trash cans and benches look decent.

Point taken. The phone booths were lame.

OK, maybe it's a bit cheesey, but there's nothing wrong with trying to improve the look of the area. Good luck to them.

I don't think it's necessary to improve an already affluent area. Take this money and improve the area from Holcombe to the Reliant area. Then they'd be doing some good. But of course, this is a project of the UKD and not a city project.

• 5 months later...
7 feet for drainage? Why so much? That seems like a lot just for that.

OMG! so many trees are going to die!

Businesses and residential areas are going to suffer quite a bit due to the construction lasting forever!

Quick, someone alert A-oaks and see if they're willing to protest this! Let's see how they are for consistancy?

Seriously, though.

Considering the work that they're putting under there, that's a reasonable amount of setback on your typical street, but I didn't think Kirby was practically landlocked without taking some land using Eminent Domain.

OMG! so many trees are going to die!

Businesses and residential areas are going to suffer quite a bit due to the construction lasting forever!

Quick, someone alert A-oaks and see if they're willing to protest this! Let's see how they are for consistancy?

Seriously, though.

Considering the work that they're putting under there, that's a reasonable amount of setback on your typical street, but I didn't think Kirby was practically landlocked without taking some land using Eminent Domain.

So what are they doing, just adding one lane to each side?

By the sounds of it, yes.

I think traffic flow would improve tremendously if they simply repave the road completely. I've seen more than a few drivers disrupt traffic when they feel their tires starting to fall towards the curbs or hit a an uneven patch of asphalt.

And, in typical Houston fashion they're not going to bury the electric lines!! Great, less trees, more concrete, and the same unsightly stretch of road-just more road. F'ing "real". This city never ceases to disappoint. Just 7,848 days to retirement... Damn, that's a long time. Civil tort immunity is such a delicate flower-or, I swear, I'd sue!!.

7 feet for drainage? Why so much? That seems like a lot just for that.

the main reason is for drainage yes. at least one of the people mentioned said it was probably a good idea with the new residential project going in. i believe they mentioned that the kirby mgmt district wanted the proposed config and that's why the city is pursuing it.

274 trees for about a mile and a half of roadway?

Wonder if all those tree-hugging anti-rail folks will be beating the war drums on this one? :)

I cannot imagine that Avalon Place and River Oaks are going to be happy about this one. The houses on the corners of streets like Locke Lane and Reba are going to have cars whizzing by very close to their houses if 7 more feet will be taken.

It will also be interesting to see what happens at the light at San Felipe. Kirby turns into just two lanes in each direction and there is no way the city would mess with the people who live in $2 million plus homes along that stretch...or is there?

They need to do this right and take the expansion all the way down to Shepherd, but you KNOW that's not going to happen. We wouldn't want the hoity toity in River Oaks to have to give up some of their front yard.

They might be willing to make a sacrifice if can stave off congestion and in the mean time, taxpayers would be paying them for their front yards. And certainly their neighbors off of Kirby wouldn't want the congestion and won't care about the property loss. I really don't think that it would be as politically impossible and you might think.

Remember, this is different from Afton Oaks because they were dealing with LRT, which would result in narrower or fewer lanes, blocked intersections, loud high-pitched horns blowing day and night, and possibly an increase in the number of people that cut through their neighborhood trying to avoid the congestion at the West Loop. I agree that they were being overly whiney and getting distracted with lesser points, like trees and yards, but they very clearly would've been negatively impacted, whereas road expansion through River Oaks would be part of an attempt to reduce congestion.

Everybody like having less congestion.

Archived