Improvement Ideas Sought For Kirby Dr.

Subdude

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KPRC article "Kirby Trees Chopped Down". I seriously doubt there was any chopping, unless a pack of lumberjacks emerged with their axes. No, I'm pretty sure Carlos, Jose and the rest went after them with chainsaws.

KPRC article "Kirby Trees Chopped Down". I seriously doubt there was any chopping, unless a pack of lumberjacks emerged with their axes. No, I'm pretty sure Carlos, Jose and the rest went after them with chainsaws.

After all, this is Texas...

texas-chainsaw.JPG

...not Minnesota!

paul_bunyan.jpg

For years & years you could notice how much damage most of the roots had done to the neighboring sidewalks and at front entrances of several busy buildings. In many places the sidewalks were lifted at dangerous tripping angles and imagine what they were doing to the underground lines?

Anyway its a done deal. They will be replaced with fast growing graceful trees. Now it it were historical homes...better get back Jack. :angry::)

For years & years you could notice how much damage most of the roots had done to the neighboring sidewalks and at front entrances of several busy buildings. In many places the sidewalks were lifted at dangerous tripping angles and imagine what they were doing to the underground lines?

Anyway its a done deal. They will be replaced with fast growing graceful trees. Now it it were historical homes...better get back Jack. :angry::)

I came to work by Kirby this morning. There are still alot of trees lining the street. I didn't notice where they had cut them down. Of course, you have to watch the road with those narrow lanes.

I came to work by Kirby this morning. There are still alot of trees lining the street. I didn't notice where they had cut them down. Of course, you have to watch the road with those narrow lanes.

If you are heading north from 59 (Taco Cabana on right) slow down as soon as you get to that office tower on the right. Like directly across from Miyako.

This is where you can see the heavy, obtrusive damage the huge roots have done. People should realize that when visitors enter these buildings and have a fall they could blame the tenant. We dont know if this has happened in the past or not, that is file for $ damages. I am sure some of these businesse's (secretly) :ph34r: are breathing a sigh of relief as they come down. We all need to keep in mind that this city is or was small once and never did planners realize it would grow so fast, hence Kirby more than likely never dreamed it would be widened one day. It will be quite interesting to see how they will (literally) squeeze all this traffic in. If some recall when Westheimer had wide lanes and they narrowed, good Lord now you can shake hands with the car driver next to you.

Its insane!...more interesting things are to come...

• 9 months later...

Does anyone know what the status is of the project to put star inlays in the Kirby intersections? The website seemed to be down and I was wondering if they were ever going to go forward with it. The Holcombe, University and Rice intersections are still unfinished and have asphalt paving instead of concrete (presumably to facilitate eventually adding the star pavers.)

Does anyone know what the status is of the project to put star inlays in the Kirby intersections? The website seemed to be down and I was wondering if they were ever going to go forward with it. The Holcombe, University and Rice intersections are still unfinished and have asphalt paving instead of concrete (presumably to facilitate eventually adding the star pavers.)

Kirby Drive, between Westheimer and US 59, is undergoing an extensive transformation to its public areas. Upon completion, projected for November 2009, the new infrastructure will feature brick sidewalks, improved pedestrian lighting, enhanced fiber-optic traffic lights, underground power lines, and capacity for extraordinary holiday lighting.

• 9 years later...

The Upper Kirby District is requesting community feedback on your parking experiences as a resident, visitor, employee, or employer within the Upper Kirby District area. The information you share will inform the District’s priorities for infrastructure design and planning for multi-modal transportation and parking. Participants who complete the online survey will be entered for a chance to win a $100 Whole Foods gift card.

• The title was changed to Kirby Dr.

Archived