George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

On 5/23/2023 at 8:20 PM, texan said:

DISCLAIMER: Not related to the W Hotel project (sorry, I know that's what y'all really want).

SB 1057- giving Houston a similar hotel occupancy tax system to Dallas and Fort Worth (who both receive a larger share of HOT than Houston) to allow for funding convention center and venue renovation, upgrades, and construction- has passed the Texas Legislature as of today. It has not yet been sent to Governor Abbott but I believe the necessary actions to get there are just formalities (assuming the small amendment on the Texas House floor to make the language slightly more ambiguous does not cause any issues with the Texas Senate).

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=88R&Bill=SB1057

This passed and was sent to the Governor on May 29th. The bill is still sitting on his desk... and seemingly up in the air if it'll become law.

Tribune article from yesterday -

On Wednesday during a bill-signing ceremony at the Capitol, Abbott raised the possibility of vetoing a significant number of the hundreds of bills that he hasn’t yet signed. With lawmakers still deadlocked on property taxes, Abbott said he “can’t ensure that any bill that has not yet been signed is going to be signed.”

The governor has two more days to veto legislation before those bills from the regular session become law, with or without his signature....

In the last four days, the governor has axed four bills authored or sponsored by state Sen. Paul Bettencourt, R-Houston, the Senate’s top expert on property taxes.

Edited by 79ta
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2023 at 11:16 AM, texan said:

SB 1057 escaped a veto and has become law! Hopefully we can look forward to an exciting renovation/expansion of George R. Brown or other venues soon. Does anyone know if any parts of the NHHIP deck park could benefit from this funding?

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=88R&Bill=SB1057

From the text of the bill:

the term "qualified project" includes a venue and any related infrastructure.

Seems pretty open to me.  Considering the cap park is adjacent to the GRB, and Houston First had already tasked itself with financial planning related to the cap park, it would seem so.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

Our Time . . . 15 years ago.

W Hotels are not what they were.  But whatever floats your boat.  I suppose the 1990s are on the verge of becoming hip again.

spacer.png

^^^ maybe, you can direct your argument to ^^^^^.  (it's not about me personally)  it's certainly not my fault that houston has had to wait basically a complete decade to finally land a W HOTEL.  however, i'm just very happy that they finally have.  at the very least... it's something... right?  the very first MARRIOTT MARQUIS hotel was hereby constructed in circa (1985 - atlanta)... decades ago... right?  however, when the MARRIOTT MARQUIS was constructed in downtown houston circa (2016)... it was, and still is one of the most popular and successful hotel brands located downtown houston.  therefore, i am most certain that no-matter the age of the W HOTEL brand per se, this newest downtown houston W... will be just as popular and successful as any throughout the united states of america.  IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME...  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Our Time . . . 15 years ago.

W Hotels are not what they were.  But whatever floats your boat.  I suppose the 1990s are on the verge of becoming hip again.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, editor said:

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm all for another convention hotel of any label.

What I don't get is this fetish with W Hotels as if it is the end all, be all.  Whatever cachet it had 10-15 years ago is gone as far as I can tell, which is to be expected with anything that is "over-designed" from day 1.  Tastes change and brands need to be refreshed.  I can't see that such has happened with the W chain--you step into some W lobbies these days and they look totally cheap and almost comical.  Maybe it's just a U.S. thing, and the foreign locations are "keeping up."

This ownership group doesn't really give off a "leading edge" vibe either:

Home | Horizon (hgiusa.com)

As far as I can see, they run two hotels, namely the Hyatt Place downtown and the Hilton Garden Inn Pearland!  "Our time has come?!"  Yeah, I just don't see a flagship Dubai-like property here.  Hip by Hyatt Place and Pearland standards, sure.

4 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm all for another convention hotel of any label.

What I don't get is this fetish with W Hotels as if it is the end all, be all.  Whatever cachet it had 10-15 years ago is gone as far as I can tell, which is to be expected with anything that is "over-designed" from day 1.  Tastes change and brands need to be refreshed.  I can't see that such has happened with the W chain--you step into some W lobbies these days and they look totally cheap and almost comical.  Maybe it's just a U.S. thing, and the foreign locations are "keeping up."

This ownership group doesn't really give off a "leading edge" vibe either:

Home | Horizon (hgiusa.com)

As far as I can see, they run two hotels, namely the Hyatt Place downtown and the Hilton Garden Inn Pearland!  "Our time has come?!"  Yeah, I just don't see a flagship Dubai-like property here.  Hip by Hyatt Place and Pearland standards, sure.

^^^ dude, why on earth are you constantly contradicting yourself?  (do you harbor some strange "fetish" of being the naysayer?)  now, you are hereby stating "i'm all for another convention hotel of any label".  really?  well, what if it's a ritz carlton brand... a st. regis brand... a hotel kempinski brand... a fairmont hotel brand... a loews hotel brand?  none of these aforementioned brands are BRAND NEW TOTALLY HYBRID BRANDS/CONCEPTS... right?  therefore, whatever brand is going to be constructed per se, it is going to be a modern/contemporary and state-of-the-art brand that we are all aware of.  (just like the W HOTEL brand)  

as i have stated in a prior post, "maybe, you can take your argument to HOUSTON FIRST".  it's not about harboring a "fetish" for a W brand, it's about keeping up with all of the other selected cities throughout this country that now already have this brand, or getting ready to construct this W brand (san antonio, tx).  personally, i have visited/resided at many many W HOTEL brands throughout the world, and they have all been extremely qualitative, elegant, vibrant, cool, state-of-the-art properties.  I WOULD LOVE TO SEE ONE CONSTRUCTED IN DOWNTOWN HOUSTON. 

however, since it is being planned to be constructed on top of the HOUSTON FIRST TOWER, i am most certain that HOUSTON FIRST shall have a big say in it's overall design... right?  just as they did with the MARRIOTT MARQUIS and the convention related HILTON AMERICAS.  they shall need/require for the hotel to be one of the best and successful in downtown houston to hereby market it as a convention center property to out of state guest.  i highly doubt that this new convention center brand shall resemble anything constructed in "pearland, tx".  

i think that i shall stand with the convention professionals at HOUSTON FIRST...

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, monarch said:

^^^ dude, why on earth are you constantly contradicting yourself?  (do you harbor some strange "fetish" of being the naysayer?)  now, you are hereby stating "i'm all for another convention hotel of any label".  really?  well, what if it's a ritz carlton brand... a st. regis brand... a hotel kempinski brand... a fairmont hotel brand... a loews hotel brand?  none of these aforementioned brands are BRAND NEW TOTALLY HYBRID BRANDS/CONCEPTS... right?  therefore, whatever brand is going to be constructed per se, it is going to be a modern/contemporary and state-of-the-art brand that we are all aware of.  (just like the W HOTEL brand)  

as i have stated in a prior post, "maybe, you can take your argument to HOUSTON FIRST".  it's not about harboring a "fetish" for a W brand, it's about keeping up with all of the other selected cities throughout this country that now already have this brand, or getting ready to construct this W brand (san antonio, tx).  personally, i have visited/resided at many many W HOTEL brands throughout the world, and they have all been extremely qualitative, elegant, vibrant, cool, state-of-the-art properties.  I WOULD LOVE TO SEE ONE CONSTRUCTED IN DOWNTOWN HOUSTON. 

however, since it is being planned to be constructed on top of the HOUSTON FIRST TOWER, i am most certain that HOUSTON FIRST shall have a big say in it's overall design... right?  just as they did with the MARRIOTT MARQUIS and the convention related HILTON AMERICAS.  they shall need/require for the hotel to be one of the best and successful in downtown houston to hereby market it as a convention center property to out of state guest.  i highly doubt that this new convention center brand shall resemble anything constructed in "pearland, tx".  

i think that i shall stand with the convention professionals at HOUSTON FIRST...

I agree but this person you're replying to always seems to be very condescending. There must be a shortage of Seroquel... btw,  do you think the W or the hotel Jim Crane has proposed ground breaks first?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, HOUCAJUN said:

I agree but this person you're replying to always seems to be very condescending. There must be a shortage of Seroquel... btw,  do you think the W or the hotel Jim Crane has proposed ground breaks first?

^^^ if we were hereby allowed more pertinent information regarding the crane development, i would be a bit more forthcoming regarding my personal thoughts/opinions.  however, since the crane development is very often shrouded in secrecy and behind the scenes negotiations etc.., i simply do not harbor any form of related information.   i guess that i am performing any and all, to be patient, all the while praying that this forthcoming development shall hit it out of the ballpark... (no pun intended)

nonetheless, i'm under the mindset that the W HOTEL development is a bit more prepared and ready to go at this all important point.  i'm just more than ready to reference their most current concepts/renderings moving forward.  we shall see...  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, monarch said:

@monarch, buddy, there is no contradiction whatsoever between these two points:

1. Another convention center hotel is good, whatever the brand is.  W, Loews, St Regis, Ritz Carlton, Fairmont, whatevs.

2. I, for one, and others in this thread have said that we don't feel the same way about the W brand as you (i.e., as if it is commensurate with the second coming of Christ).  It is my OPINION, just like you have your OPINION.

It's like saying, "Yeah, I think it's great that Houston has a women's soccer team, even when I don't pay them much attention."

This will be a fully private development, just like the Marquis (but unlike the Hilton Americas).  I guess HoustonFirst can specify certain minimum standards as to numbers of room, height (don't collapse the building!), amenities (read: "must have a full service restaurant"), but I highly doubt that's going to affect the quality of the development as they're not paying for it.  Marriott brand standards will likely have a much larger impact.  Nothing is stopping them from breaking ground tomorrow, and this State bill does nothing to advance the project as far as I can see.  The fact that it is not featured on the Horizon website is telling.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

@monarch, buddy, there is no contradiction whatsoever between these two points:

1. Another convention center hotel is good, whatever the brand is.  W, Loews, St Regis, Ritz Carlton, Fairmont, whatevs.

2. I, for one, and others in this thread have said that we don't feel the same way about the W brand as you (i.e., as if it is commensurate with the second coming of Christ).  It is my OPINION, just like you have your OPINION.

It's like saying, "Yeah, I think it's great that Houston has a women's soccer team, even when I don't pay them much attention."

This will be a fully private development, just like the Marquis (but unlike the Hilton Americas).  I guess HoustonFirst can specify certain minimum standards as to numbers of room, height (don't collapse the building!), amenities (read: "must have a full service restaurant"), but I highly doubt that's going to affect the quality of the development as they're not paying for it.  Marriott brand standards will likely have a much larger impact.  Nothing is stopping them from breaking ground tomorrow, and this State bill does nothing to advance the project as far as I can see.  The fact that it is not featured on the Horizon website is telling.

spacer.png

^^^ @mattyt36 dude, my buddy, my pal... please give this MAGNIFICENT song... "TIME WILL REVEAL" a try.  DeBarge is a wonderful/talented group with beautiful and inspiring music.  just venture forth into YOUTUBE, turn it on, and lose yourself into the sumptuous sounds of love, life, and vitality...

i mean, i just do not know what else to say.  THE GREATER HOUSTON PARTNERSHIP just had a rebranding and is now called... HOUSTON FIRST.  maybe, the HORIZON CO., is awaiting for HOUSTON FIRST to get their collective house in order... before moving forward with their prospective W enterprise?  astros owner JIM CRANE has hereby stated that "the newest forthcoming development shall include a FOUR STAR HOTEL BRAND".  (maybe jim has snagged the W brand for himself since he is a supposed billionaire and he can basically construct whatever he so chooses.  along, with the fact that the W HOTEL brand very often includes RESIDENCES within their developments and jim crane would certainly harbor the room to include this very lucrative addition)  maybe, the W HOTEL BRAND shall be included within the TMC-HELIX PARK development... and two hotels exhibiting the same luxury brand in such close proximity is not at all feasible.

WHO KNOWS?  however, all that i do know is that... TIME WILL REVEAL 🎵🎵🎵

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

there's a JW Marriott right across the street from the AC Hotel, which is (not as expensive) a Marriott property, the same as the JW.

it's like that time there were 3 Starbucks on the same intersection.

W Hotel is a Marriott brand.

so really, what we're considering is might there be 3 Marriott brands in close proximity to each other?

15 hours ago, monarch said:

spacer.png

^^^ @mattyt36 dude, my buddy, my pal... please give this MAGNIFICENT song... "TIME WILL REVEAL" a try.  DeBarge is a wonderful/talented group with beautiful and inspiring music.  just venture forth into YOUTUBE, turn it on, and lose yourself into the sumptuous sounds of love, life, and vitality...

i mean, i just do not know what else to say.  THE GREATER HOUSTON PARTNERSHIP just had a rebranding and is now called... HOUSTON FIRST.  maybe, the HORIZON CO., is awaiting for HOUSTON FIRST to get their collective house in order... before moving forward with their prospective W enterprise?  astros owner JIM CRANE has hereby stated that "the newest forthcoming development shall include a FOUR STAR HOTEL BRAND".  (maybe jim has snagged the W brand for himself since he is a supposed billionaire and he can basically construct whatever he so chooses.  along, with the fact that the W HOTEL brand very often includes RESIDENCES within their developments and jim crane would certainly harbor the room to include this very lucrative addition)  maybe, the W HOTEL BRAND shall be included within the TMC-HELIX PARK development... and two hotels exhibiting the same luxury brand in such close proximity is not at all feasible.

I have nothing to contribute to the discussion except for the appreciation of DeBarge randomly showing up on a thread.

One might even say... I Like It!

EDIT... I guess I spoke too soon...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2023/06/23/george-r-brown-how-sb1057-became-law.html

But it’s not just the convention center that is set to benefit from S.B. 1057. The law allows for potential new development, including hotels and other entertainment venues.

Whitmire said the vision for S.B. 1057 is to use it to create an entertainment district that lives up to the name.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
HBJ Article
  • Like 9

28 minutes ago, samagon said:

there's a JW Marriott right across the street from the AC Hotel, which is (not as expensive) a Marriott property, the same as the JW.

it's like that time there were 3 Starbucks on the same intersection.

W Hotel is a Marriott brand.

so really, what we're considering is might there be 3 Marriott brands in close proximity to each other?

If this is possible, then just about anything is. Three Marriott brands in the same building for some reason.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7554589,-95.3662685,3a,48.9y,281.37h,97.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suZyl8YkMh56xavvIDae8RQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Agreed and further to that point, we have the following Marriott hotels/flags in downtown. 

• Marquis
  • Westin (near Minute Maid)
  • Magnolia 
  • Le Meridien
  • Aloft
  • Icon
  • Moxy (about to open) 
  • AC
  • JW
  • The Laura
  • Courtyard
  • Springhill Suites
  • Residence Inn
Edited by urbanize713
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, monarch said:

i mean, i just do not know what else to say.  THE GREATER HOUSTON PARTNERSHIP just had a rebranding and is now called... HOUSTON FIRST. 

Greater Houston Partnership did not rebrand itself as Houston First.  They are two completely separate organizations.

https://houston.org/

https://www.houstonfirst.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

On 6/22/2023 at 4:49 PM, monarch said:

spacer.png

Love your posts. So fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

I have nothing to contribute to the discussion except for the appreciation of DeBarge randomly showing up on a thread.

One might even say... I Like It!

EDIT... I guess I spoke too soon...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2023/06/23/george-r-brown-how-sb1057-became-law.html

But it’s not just the convention center that is set to benefit from S.B. 1057. The law allows for potential new development, including hotels and other entertainment venues.

Whitmire said the vision for S.B. 1057 is to use it to create an entertainment district that lives up to the name.

Timing is great for Whitmire's mayoral run...  I have to admit he is more inclined to get my vote now...  seems like HBJ backs his candidacy too!  https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2023/06/23/george-r-brown-how-sb1057-became-law.html?utm_source=st&utm_medium=en&utm_campaign=ae&utm_content=HO&j=31888283&senddate=2023-06-23

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

spacer.png

(I have never seen one of these monstrosities in real life. I do love the different little architectural touches for each of the brands lmaooo)

2660BFE0-C949-49AC-8A9F-C5B2C8225F53.jpeg.4a4ff9af7024b4ba2469b6652300d8ea.jpeg

Related: a meme that never fails to get a laugh out of me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2