George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

hey gang, does anyone know upon whether or not, if the HILTON AMERICAS plans to undergo some form of a renovation / upgrade, in lieu of the forthcoming super bowl in 2017?  HILTON management, is going to have to perform some form of an upgrade (exterior / interior) in order to half way keep up with the new MARRIOT MARQUIS.  once completed, the MARRIOT shall become an iconic showplace.    

hey gang, does anyone know upon whether or not, if the HILTON AMERICAS plans to undergo some form of a renovation / upgrade, in lieu of the forthcoming super bowl in 2017?  HILTON management, is going to have to perform some form of an upgrade (exterior / interior) in order to half way keep up with the new MARRIOT MARQUIS.  once completed, the MARRIOT shall become an iconic showplace.    

I imagine they have a schedule to refresh the room fixtures and carpet/upholstered stuff that shows wear in common areas, but I really like the Hilton's lobby, it does not come across as dated to me.

• Like 1

I don't know about you, but the exterior looks good to me. Not everything has to be updated or upgraded for the Super Bowl. Leave it be. It's a very nice hotel. I think you are getting a little over excited.

I don't know about you, but the exterior looks good to me. Not everything has to be updated or upgraded for the Super Bowl. Leave it be. It's a very nice hotel. I think you are getting a little over excited.

"a little over excited?"  nah, i think that it's more along the lines of thinking like a professional businessman.  upon my most personal view, the HILTON AMERICAS, has got to be one of the biggest, dullest, non inspirational hotel properties throughout the state of texas.  if it wasn't for being connected via skywalk to the GRB.. you wouldn't even know that it was there.

i recall, as i was once employed as per the EL PASO CORP downtown, i used to walk all the way over to the PARK SHOPS during my lunch hour.  i would venture out unto the outdoor patio, have a seat, and just watch as the HILTON AMERICAS was being constructed.  i used to think of all the possibilities of this burgeoning property.  upon my view, this hotel was a bit ill conceived.  if they could just provide a bit more resources, better landscaping, state of the art LED lighting effects, better signage, something / anything, to bring some much needed life to this particular property... i would be so very happy.  as i certainly want it to remain as successful as possible. 

however, something must be done.  or otherwise it's HILTON, we have a problem...

• Like 2

Monarch, it's interesting (as usual) to hear your opinion although perhaps we disagree a bit.  For me, the Hilton Americas is the only fairly new hotel in Houston that reminds me of other large convention hotels that I've stayed at in other cities.  That doesn't mean that I don't agree it could be better ... it just means that I was glad we finally got a place in that class.  (Tho' I think that the bar on top closed, which I'm sorry about because it was a nice touch.)  

Edited by ArchFan
  • Like 1

Monarch, it's interesting (as usual) to hear your opinion although perhaps we disagree a bit.  For me, the Hilton Americas is the only fairly new hotel in Houston that reminds me of other large convention hotels that I've stayed at in other cities.  That doesn't mean that I don't agree it could be better ... it just means that I was glad we finally got a place in that class.  (Tho' I think that the bar on top closed, which I'm sorry about because it was a nice touch.)  

The Bar up top is reserved for private parties. It was a great view but the glass is so extremely reflective you can't really capture a good picture or see very well. The outdoor Pool view is a lot better.

I have to agree with what most of you are saying. The Hilton is actually very nice. Giant glass chandeliers, amazing mix of colors between the busy marble floors/columns, ornate light fixtures, and simple furnishings, someone put a lot of thought into it. Usually those color choices are not my cup of tea but they work, and I appreciate that they do. The Bar in the Lobby is also very nice. The Pappasito's is pleasantly done as well. It's not gimmicky with Cacti hanging from the walls and ceilings. Their outdoor patio space is very enjoyable. The sitting areas have a nice friendly view of the trees across the street.

The basket weave exterior doesn't excite or bore me. 

Anyways, sorry for drifting off topic. I'm excited to see any interior renderings of the hotel going above office building. Will be interesting to see how they accomplish both lobbies. 

"Additionally, some of the retail space will be included in an office building Houston First Corp. is developing at the north end of the GRB. The approximately 30,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space will front Avenida de las Americas, and venues will range in size from approximately 1,500 square feet to more than 10,000 square feet.

Houston First, which manages the GRB, is working with Wulfe and Griffin in the development process. Private-sector development is a critical part of growth in the area and the convention center's master plan, Houston First Chairman Ric Campo said in the statement.

"These people places will be major amenities for the Avenida de las Americas, the Hilton Americas-Houston hotel, Discovery Green, the new Marriott Marquis and the new offices and parking garage included in the master plan," Campo said in the statement."

I thought you said ground floor retail doesn't work in Houston Mr Campo? :rolleyes:

• Like 3

This is going to be great with residential near by as well this can either be good for greenstreet or it might be bad depending on the type of retail they add to this area overall i think this will be good for this area period and i just mention it might be good for greenstreet since it is within walking distance it might be bad because most might consider going to this area instead of greenstreet depending on what it is added to the convention center.

• Like 3

This is going to be great with residential near by as well this can either be good for greenstreet or it might be bad depending on the type of retail they add to this area overall i think this will be good for this area period and i just mention it might be good for greenstreet since it is within walking distance it might be bad because most might consider going to this area instead of greenstreet depending on what it is added to the convention center.

Holy run-on sentence Batman!

• Like 6

From the Houston First FB Page:

10993102_861077377283464_491715879768188

Beginning at 12:01 a.m. on Saturday, the cement foundation will be poured for the new 10-story office tower (and a 400-room hotel that subsequently will be built on top of it) on the north end of George R. Brown Convention Center. Approximately 500 cement mixers and five pumping trucks will be employed in the job. Work is expected to be completed by 8 a.m. Saturday and no lane closures will be required. This photo shows where the big pour will take place!
  • Like 9