2007-2008 Crude Oil Cost

Pumapayam

What difference does it make, really? John McCain's gas-tax-suspensino program's gains would have been eliminated in the past two weeks or so. This is a big-deal percentage wise, though you and whoever can argue about the specific digits all you want.

Yeah, ummm...I was criticizing the reporting, not the facts reported.

Or were you just trying to pick a fight? <_<

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking back I guess what I was trying to say was that the $120 level, arbitrary though it is, is high enough that it renders any stopgap political solution hilariously inadequate.

I was totally smashed when I wrote that post (and I have been that way for most of the day). Earth Day should be every day!

I love this one, let's travel back in time to August 2003, an article with a graph that has the title.

gas_prices_chart_f.jpg

Record High Gas Prices Not Expected To Last

Raise your hand if you would be 100% happy to see that price at the pump.

On a side note, a CNN HLN article about people pumping up $100 fill ups now!

A little flashback from KPRC.

I love this one, let's travel back in time to August 2003, an article with a graph that has the title.

gas_prices_chart_f.jpg

Raise your hand if you would be 100% happy to see that price at the pump.

On a side note, a CNN HLN article about people pumping up $100 fill ups now!

A little flashback from KPRC.

Pumpa I was at the station just last week and this dude in a diesel pickup pumped $200 worth of gas. Guess he had a big tank.

Anyhow, I noticed some of the other pumps around me and when they left I checked out how much they pumped (these were pickups as well). Most of them were like $12 and $15 ... not very much gas. Guess folks aren't able to pump (or refuse to at one time) all that gas.

Anyhow, I noticed some of the other pumps around me and when they left I checked out how much they pumped (these were pickups as well). Most of them were like $12 and $15 ... not very much gas. Guess folks aren't able to pump (or refuse to at one time) all that gas.

Not to be insensitive to poor people, but this is one of the dumbest practices I see and hear about these days.

I can understand it if you go paycheck to paycheck each week and pay for gas in cash and $12-15 covers however much you drive in-between paychecks, but putting in $12-15 at a time every couple of days is just stupid, especially if you're paying with a credit card or if you get paid monthly or bimonthly. You're still consuming and spending the same amount on gas each week, no matter how much you slice it up.

This is similar to the stupid logic that the price will go down if everyone skips going to the gas station on the same day.... it might go down if everyone DOESN'T DRIVE on the same day and doesn't consume as much gas, but if you don't buy it on Tuesday and still drive to work, you'll just have to buy it on Wednesday and total gas demand doesn't change.

Not to be insensitive to poor people, but this is one of the dumbest practices I see and hear about these days.

I can understand it if you go paycheck to paycheck each week and pay for gas in cash and $12-15 covers however much you drive in-between paychecks, but putting in $12-15 at a time every couple of days is just stupid, especially if you're paying with a credit card or if you get paid monthly or bimonthly. You're still consuming and spending the same amount on gas each week, no matter how much you slice it up.

This is similar to the stupid logic that the price will go down if everyone skips going to the gas station on the same day.... it might go down if everyone DOESN'T DRIVE on the same day and doesn't consume as much gas, but if you don't buy it on Tuesday and still drive to work, you'll just have to buy it on Wednesday and total gas demand doesn't change.

I know a lot of people get paid daily (think about lawn people and some handy men type folks). Maybe that is all they can afford to put in between gigs.

Plus, driving around with a mostly empty tank is bad for your fuel pump since immersion in the fuel acts as a means of cooling for the pump.

Plus, driving around with a mostly empty tank is bad for your fuel pump since immersion in the fuel acts as a means of cooling for the pump.

Unless you are driving around on a mostly full tank (only letting it go down a few gallons below full) in order to minimize evaporative losses.

I took a new job several weeks back that has me driving to Conroe every evening....41 miles each way. Even though the employer is reimbursing my gas usage, the numbers are staggering. Yesterday, I pumped $76, and I do that about every 6 days. Even though I am not paying for the gas, I decided to see what I could do to use less of it (a 45 minute commute each way allows one's mind to wander). Currently, my mpg is only .4 below the EPA estimate for my truck. My goal is to get at least 10% OVER the EPA estimate.

I started by rummaging through the truck and taking out anything that I don't need, to reduce weight. Probably only saved 20 lbs, but it's a start (maybe I should diet also). Next, I got an oil change, new air filter and aired up the tires. I am thinking of over-inflating the tires a bit, as this will leave a little less tread on the road for less rolling resistance, but it will also cause the middle of the tire to wear faster, so I haven't done this yet. Keeping the car clean will help aerodynamics, so don't keep it dirty. All of this cost a total of $51 for the oil change and filter.

Now, onto the driving. The first step was to reduce my speed from 70 mph to about 62. This adds about 4 minutes to my commute, so I leave 5 minutes earlier for work. Once my mileage starts increasing, I am sure I will get geeked about it and probably drop to 55, but for now, 60-62 is fine. The next thing I do is look for a big truck to draft behind. Last night I drafted one from Spring Cypress all the way to my exit in Conroe. The rest of this involves trying not to use my brakes as this slows my momentum that I burned gasoline to achieve. This takes some practice to time stoplights so that you do not have to stop, or allowing extra room in stop-and-go traffic so that your speed stays constant, but I am working on it.

I'll probably fill up again in a day or so to measure my progress. I'll report back later.

Now, onto the driving. The first step was to reduce my speed from 70 mph to about 62. This adds about 4 minutes to my commute, so I leave 5 minutes earlier for work. Once my mileage starts increasing, I am sure I will get geeked about it and probably drop to 55, but for now, 60-62 is fine. The next thing I do is look for a big truck to draft behind. Last night I drafted one from Spring Cypress all the way to my exit in Conroe. The rest of this involves trying not to use my brakes as this slows my momentum that I burned gasoline to achieve. This takes some practice to time stoplights so that you do not have to stop, or allowing extra room in stop-and-go traffic so that your speed stays constant, but I am working on it.

I did an experiment a few weeks ago. I wanted to see the best mileage I could get on my new xB. For one full tank, I drove as gently as I could. I shifted before 3k RPM and kept my top speed to 65 or so (just under 3k in 5th). I was constantly planning ahead to minimize breaking and accelerating.

I was able to squeeze out an extra 2 MPG this way (from 24.5 to 26.5 MPG), but the experience was traumatic. Driving that way had negative effects on my mental state. I decided the cost of those 2 miles per gallon just wasn't worth the stress it caused.

I did an experiment a few weeks ago. I wanted to see the best mileage I could get on my new xB. For one full tank, I drove as gently as I could. I shifted before 3k RPM and kept my top speed to 65 or so (just under 3k in 5th). I was constantly planning ahead to minimize breaking and accelerating.

I was able to squeeze out an extra 2 MPG this way (from 24.5 to 26.5 MPG), but the experience was traumatic. Driving that way had negative effects on my mental state. I decided the cost of those 2 miles per gallon just wasn't worth the stress it caused.

You're right, there is a lot of concentration involved. We'll see how long I last.

Almost forgot the biggest gas saver....Air Conditioning! I run the AC at full blast for a little while, then recirculate the cool air until it gets a little muggy. Then I chill it again. Since I am driving at night, it is not hot, just a little humid. I cut out about 75% of my AC use that way.

I know a lot of people get paid daily (think about lawn people and some handy men type folks). Maybe that is all they can afford to put in between gigs.

Yeah, I said that there probably are some people that this is all they can do, especially if they're paid in cash and paid irregularly, I see that. But if you're just doing it because you don't like paying so much at once, it still kind of dumb.

Almost forgot the biggest gas saver....Air Conditioning! I run the AC at full blast for a little while, then recirculate the cool air until it gets a little muggy. Then I chill it again. Since I am driving at night, it is not hot, just a little humid. I cut out about 75% of my AC use that way.

Make sure to select fresh air and not recirculation if you have any plans on selling later.

Well, if I used recirculation, it would not create the positive cabin pressure I am seeking, now would it?

so you have the new one. I didn't realize the fuel efficiency dropped so much. In the old model I get 30/31 city. And I'm fairly hard on the gears. But the new ones seem a lot bigger--so more weight, right?

You're right, there is a lot of concentration involved. We'll see how long I last.

What about getting a lid? Obviously it depends on if you'll drive it long enough to recoup the cost, (and how much higher you're willing to bet gas goes) but my bf and brother both have improved mileage (6 mpg on the v8 ford and 8mpg on the old v-6 chevy, by their calcs). They got cheap lids, too. Under $1,000.

I'm finding varying statements on whether lids and down tailgates help. I've heard from several sources that opening the tailgate does no good at all. On the tonneau covers, I have heard that they help and that they do not. If I got one it would be because I like them, not for fuel economy.

Frankly, at a certain point, I would probably just buy a MINI or something and ditch the truck altogether.

Frankly, at a certain point, I would probably just buy a MINI or something and ditch the truck altogether.

It's gotta be a suck re-sale market for trucks now, right? Maybe not.

I am getting a kick out of all the desperation advertising on the radio for trucks, trucks, trucks!

so you have the new one. I didn't realize the fuel efficiency dropped so much. In the old model I get 30/31 city. And I'm fairly hard on the gears. But the new ones seem a lot bigger--so more weight, right?

The new ones are 25% heavier and have a 50% larger engine. :D

It's gotta be a suck re-sale market for trucks now, right? Maybe not.

I am getting a kick out of all the desperation advertising on the radio for trucks, trucks, trucks!

Not sure, but I wouldn't sell as long as my gas is being paid for. Plus, it'll be paid for in several months. You can afford a lot more gas when there is no car note. ;)

I'm finding varying statements on whether lids and down tailgates help. I've heard from several sources that opening the tailgate does no good at all. On the tonneau covers, I have heard that they help and that they do not. If I got one it would be because I like them, not for fuel economy.

I vaguely recall a Mythbusters episode where they tried out all the different ways of tailgate manipulation for fuel efficiency purposes. The aerodynamics actually make it preferable to keep the tailgate up, or even better, to remove it and replace it with a plastic mesh.

The new ones are 25% heavier and have a 50% larger engine. :D

It would probably help if car manufacturers in the US didn't feel they had to make each generation of cars bigger and heavier. Overall gas mileage hasn't improved for decades.

I vaguely recall a Mythbusters episode where they tried out all the different ways of tailgate manipulation for fuel efficiency purposes. The aerodynamics actually make it preferable to keep the tailgate up, or even better, to remove it and replace it with a plastic mesh.

I heard the exact same thing, and in fact, was told it was a mythbusters episode that proved it. :lol:

I'll probably fill up again in a day or so to measure my progress. I'll report back later.

I'll be interested to see what your savings are. I seem to recall that you own a Tundra. When I owned a Tundra, I found that evening out the accel/decel in traffic gave me about a 2 mpg increase. Of course, you have to concentrate, and you have to not mind everyone whipping around you and cutting in front of you because they believe space = slow.

Archived