2007-2008 Crude Oil Cost

Pumapayam

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's funny. Just get liability insurance, and don't worry about anything else. Or else move to a state that isn't in bed with the insurance industry and don't get anything at all (if you're a good enough driver).

What State might that be? I'm thinking none.

So you're saying things such as high strength steel, numerous airbags, ABS, traction control, and stability control don't make cars safer?

Making cars safer doesn't really work. Humans seek an acceptable level of risk. The safer they feel in a car, the more risk they take. To make driving really safe, we should replace airbags with sticks of dynamite.

Sad but true.

No, seriously, I am sure there are a few. I will just have to find them.

Edit: New Hampshire and Wisconsin. Should have seen those coming.

And Wisconsin has the highest number of adults who admit in surveys to driving while drunk.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24262192/

This is an interesting case of self-reporting. Do people really drink and drive that much more, or are they more honest?

Insurance Requirements by State

Alabama

Bodily injury and property damage liability

20/40/10

Alaska

50/100/25

Arizona

15/30/10

Arkansas

25/50/25

California

15/30/5

Colorado

25/50/15

Connecticut

Bodily injury and property damage liability, uninsured motorist

20/40/10

Delaware

Bodily injury and property damage liability, personal injury protection

15/30/10

Washington DC

25/50/10

Florida

Property damage liability, personal injury protection

10/20/10

Georgia

25/50/25

Hawaii

20/40/10

Idaho

25/50/15

Illinois

20/40/15

Indiana

25/50/10

Iowa

20/40/15

Kansas

25/50/10

Kentucky

25/50/10

Louisiana

10/20/10

Maine

50/100/25

Maryland

Bodily injury and property damage liability, uninsured and underinsured motorist

20/40/15

Massachusetts

Bodily injury and property damage liability, personal injury protection, uninsured motorist

20/40/5

Michigan

20/40/10

Minnesota

Bodily injury and property damage liability, personal injury protection, uninsured and underinsured motorist

30/60/10

Mississippi

10/20/5

Missouri

25/50/10

Montana

25/50/10

Nebraska

Bodily injury and property damage liability, uninsured and underinsured motorist

25/50/25

Nevada

15/30/10

New Hampshire

Proof of financial responsibility, medical payments, uninsured motorist

25/50/25

New Jersey

Bodily injury and property damage liability, personal injury protection, uninsured motorist

15/30/5

New Mexico

25/50/10

New York

Bodily injury and property damage liability, uninsured motorist, personal injury protection

25/50/10

North Carolina

30/60/25

North Dakota

Bodily injury and property damage liability, personal injury protection, uninsured and underinsured motorist

25/50/25

Ohio

12.5/25/7.5

Oklahoma

10/20/10

Oregon

25/50/10

Pennsylvania

Bodily injury and property damage liability, medical payments

15/30/5

Rhode Island

25/50/25

South Carolina

15/30/10

South Dakota

25/50/25

Tennessee

Proof of financial responsibility

25/50/10

Texas

20/40/15

Utah

25/50/15

Vermont

25/50/10

Virginia

25/50/20

Washington

25/50/10

West Virginia

20/40/10

Wisconsin

Proof of financial responsibility, uninsured motorist

25/50/10

Wyoming

25/50/20

Might rethink that one!

One of jm1fd's missions is to warn others about how unsafe older cars are. He preached the same message to me several months ago when HAIF was having a discussion about cars and I mentioned that I was still driving a 1988 VW Fox. Guess s/he feels the need to warn all of us uninformed folks of the danger we are courting when driving our small, older model cars. Based on the responses so far, several unrepentant HAIFers simply aren't heeding her/his warning.

Heed it or not, I don't care. You'll be the one walking around with a steering column in your left nostril 'cause you didn't have airbags, not me.

jm1fd,

I think what red and the others are basically saying is that regardless of what you drive and how you drive it and what safety features you have; when you get into an accident, there is no guarantee that you're going to come out of it without a scratch.

That was the point of the articles I had posted.

I think what red and the others are basically saying is that regardless of what you drive and how you drive it and what safety features you have; when you get into an accident, there is no guarantee that you're going to come out of it without a scratch.

Of course...there are no guarantees in life. It just seems quite foolish not to spend a thousand or two more dollars to get a vehicle which is substantially safer than what was being built in the mid 80s.

Of course...there are no guarantees in life. It just seems quite foolish not to spend a thousand or two more dollars to get a vehicle which is substantially safer than what was being built in the mid 80s.

SO? You get people that spend thousands of dollars to make their cars "tricked out" which is likely to get them ripped off. People make their own choices, some of it (and them are) stupid. I agree with you overall, but thats the power of free will. My only wishis for people to have a little foresight when they make their choices.

Heed it or not, I don't care. You'll be the one walking around with a steering column in your left nostril 'cause you didn't have airbags, not me.

As others have said, I'm not worried, so I'll thank you to keep your warnings to yourself. Not only are your warnings hyperbolic, they are exceedingly tiresome. Although you say you don't care, you not seem capable of stopping yourself from giving unwanted advice.

As others have said, I'm not worried, so I'll thank you to keep your warnings to yourself. Not only are your warnings hyperbolic, they are exceedingly tiresome. Although you say you don't care, you not seem capable of stopping yourself from giving unwanted advice.

I will continue to raise the point, when appropriate, that older vehicles are less safe than more modern vehicles. Tiresome though my two instances of raising this point may be to you, it is a point which bears repeating since not everyone will stop to consider that there are safer cars available for not much more money.

I suspect you're just mad because I'm interfering with your attempts to prop up the resale value of worn out trash heaps, seeing as how you own one. LOL

OK, just filled up the tank. Time to do the math and see what good this all did.

Previous fill up:

22.36 gallons

380.8 miles

17.03 mpg

Current fill up:

15.23 gallons

299.1 miles

19.63 mpg

Difference: 2.6 mpg (15.3% increase)

That's pretty damned impressive! Like I said earlier, all I have done to get this increase was to change my oil, replace my air filter, air up my tires, and attempt to limit my freeway speed to 62 mph. Obviously, I tried to eliminate jackrabbit starts and stops as well, but not as drastically as you might think. The only other noticeable change is that I turn off the AC when the cab is cool, and only run the fan until it starts to get uncomfortable, then run the AC again. I haven't had the guts to run up and down I-45 at 55mph yet (this is Houston after all), but since 45 is 60 mph in Harris County (65 mph in Montgomery), I may try it in the Harris part.

A little refinement in my technique should get me over 20 mpg with little effort. Mind you, I am driving a 2003 Toyota Tundra 4WD with the 8 cylinder engine. EPA estimates on this truck are 14 mpg city and 17 mpg highway, so I would say 19.63 mpg in this rig aint too shabby. :o

19.6 mpg in a V8 Tundra is very impressive! I once got 20.0 in my 2000 Tundra, but it was a V6 it was over a long rural trip (never thought I would EVER see the trip meter pass 400 miles).

I've been focused more on my driving habits recently to see what mileage gains I can achieve. I now drive a 2003 Toyota Camry V6, which the EPA says should be getting 18 City / 26 Highway (21 combined). I usually get 25/26 mpg as I have a good mix of city/freeway driving.

I now drive 60 mph on US 290 (when that's possible) and try to anticipate slowdowns/stops so that I can conserve momentum and not have to accelerate as much to get back up to speed. My last tank? 30.5 mpg!! 17% above a normal tank and what EPA says I should be getting. If I can keep that up, it would amount to $25/mo in gasoline savings at the current prices.

This website allows you to create an account, input fuels purchased, miles driven (odometer readings), and even find cheap(er) gas.

I used it several years back and will start doing so again. Takes all the calculations out of doing it manually if interested:

http://houstongasprices.com/

Like TheNiche, I'm rather into spreadsheets.

You better believe I have one for this.

Yes, I am a dork.

This website allows you to create an account, input fuels purchased, miles driven (odometer readings), and even find cheap(er) gas.

I used it several years back and will start doing so again. Takes all the calculations out of doing it manually if interested:

http://houstongasprices.com/

If you have start tracking fuel costs... to this level... something is seriously awry. Even if gas prices jump from 3.60 to 4.10... .50 cents... I pay a whopping $5 more per fill up, or $10 to $15 more a month on gas.

Is your budget that tight? Gas prices would have to double to over $8/gallon - then I'd start complaining... but then again, I'd still be paying 10% less per fill up vs. my dad's Chevy pickup - at today's prices!

If you have start tracking fuel costs... to this level... something is seriously awry. Even if gas prices jump from 3.60 to 4.10... .50 cents... I pay a whopping $5 more per fill up, or $10 to $15 more a month on gas.

Is your budget that tight? Gas prices would have to double to over $8/gallon - then I'd start complaining... but then again, I'd still be paying 10% less per fill up vs. my dad's Chevy pickup - at today's prices!

I don't "search" for cheap gas other than knowing where the cheapest stations (generally) on my commute are located and stopping there rather than other stations.

I focus my "cheapness" on trying to be efficient and just use less gasoline, period. If everyone reduced their gasoline usage by 10%, this thread may not exist.

I don't "search" for cheap gas other than knowing where the cheapest stations (generally) on my commute are located and stopping there rather than other stations.

I focus my "cheapness" on trying to be efficient and just use less gasoline, period. If everyone reduced their gasoline usage by 10%, this thread may not exist.

I was listening to NPR yesterday and they were interviewing people in Chicago who said that the price of gas, and what a candidate said they could do to lower it, would influence their vote. You're electing the single most influential figure on the face of the earth and you'll vote for them because you can't get out of your SUV lease. These are truly troubling times for this nation.

If you have not noticed gas prices have doubled, really tripled in 5 years.

It happened, does not mean that it has to happen in a month, but 50 cent increase in 6 weeks is pretty close.

Whatever. I think these days wherever and however you can save money is cool. As I have mentioned before, I am not the ubber rich like (apparently) lots of other people on this board. I do watch how I spend and lately, I have had to make choices (expounded on before so I do not need to reiterate).

If I can save 10 cents here or there per gallon, without a major inconvenience, I will do.

Sorry if that irks you.

If you have not noticed gas prices have doubled, really tripled in 5 years.

It happened, does not mean that it has to happen in a month, but 50 cent increase in 6 weeks is pretty close.

Last week I filled up at $3.39 per gallon at Sam's club on Richey. That is about the cheapest. Now I noticed this week that Flying J still has $3.39, but every other station in the area is around $3.45.

Gas has generally risen 10 cents per gallon each week for the past several week. That is a big hit to my wallet.

It's all about gearing and drag.

I think it's all really about a fuel-efficient, 4-cylinder engine. Or even three-cylinder:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2006-0...-car-usat_x.htm (old article, but timely for our discussions).

I haven't changed my driving habits one bit. Still driving the hell out of my 4-cycl economy car, getting great mileage. Also, no need to worry about door dings, washing it, theft, changing the oil (it uses just enough oil so that 1 quart in, 1 quart out/consumed on about ~5K schedule - and I am still coming out ahead, even burning oil.) I can drive slow, fast... still about the same mileage. No need to drive like grandma on the freeway. Full speed ahead (for me)...

There are plenty of other places in your budget you could cut, to get that meager $25 to $50 savings per month... plus, you wouldn't have to "worry" so much with all that entering of data, tracking, line charts, and pie graphs in Excel. Gas prices jumped from $3.50 to $3.65! The world is going to end. That doesn't mean we shouldn't look for better long term solutions... we should...

It's all about gearing and drag.

With the near dominance of automatic vehicles in the US market the use of gears to help control a vehicle's momentum is a quaint memory. I once read that the best, and most efficient, drivers are the ones who use their brakes the least. There's a lot of truth in it - looking ahead to see if traffic patterns warrant taking your foot off the gas, the vehicle loses momentum, and there's less wear on the brakes to bring it to a stop if required . Time and again I'm overtaken by people coming up to a red light who then have to jam on the brakes to stop. Never made a great deal of sense to me, and even less so now. More often than not there's a cell phone jammed to their ear.....

With the near dominance of automatic vehicles in the US market the use of gears to help control a vehicle's momentum is a quaint memory.

Huh? Automatic transmissions still have gears. My point was that 75+ MPH doesn't mean a car is getting bad mileage. It's where the throttle has to be to maintain that speed, and that's determined by gearing and drag. My car is as fuel efficient doing 70 in 5th as it is doing 45 in 4th.

Huh? Automatic transmissions still have gears. My point was that 75+ MPH doesn't mean a car is getting bad mileage. It's where the throttle has to be to maintain that speed, and that's determined by gearing and drag. My car is as fuel efficient doing 70 in 5th as it is doing 45 in 4th.

Understood, I wasn't taking issue with you. In any case, regardless of driving habits, automatic transmissions are inherently less fuel efficient than manuals.

Understood, I wasn't taking issue with you. In any case, regardless of driving habits, automatic transmissions are inherently less fuel efficient than manuals.

And less fun. I won't buy them.

Good point about avoiding braking. When I see a red light coming up I start coasting in hopes that I won't have to brake. Many times a car behind me will become impatient, tailgate, then pass me, only to stop at the light. I often roll past them just as the light turns green.

Archived