Windsor Memorial Apartments: Multifamily High-Rise At 3131 Memorial Cr.

TheNiche

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, wow. That really is coming along. Can you imagine the great views from this location? Awesome.

Esp. the units that will have a Western (Galleria Area), Southern(Medical Center) and Eastern (D.Town) views...This developer/architecture team really took advantage of those views with the units that face Memorial.

What's really interesting is that a building of similar size previously stood on this site. It was a grain/rice elevator/silo thing-a-ma-job. I'm not sure if it was 25 stories, but it was pretty tall. It burned in the 80's and it was one helluva blaze.

• 2 weeks later...
it seems a little soon for this thing to be opening spring of 09. id like to see that

No way is this place opening spring of '09... sorry... maybe summer '09. Anyways, I am loving watching this tower rise... it's going to look great in that location... I love how it's right up against Studemont... looks neat when you drive by.

oh jesus. The last thing I want in my neighborhood is a 10 story parking tower. That would fit right in over here. As far as your parking on the streets how do you think that those of us that actually live in the neighborhood feel about you throwing your beer bottles in our yards, being LOUD and OBNOXIOUS at 230 am, and peeing in our streets. Quit being cheap and pay the valet. They park your cars over in the ghetto where the streets are much wider.

Did you move here from Dallas? :rolleyes:

I am too lazy to go back through all the recent junk in this post, but do any of you who are raving about this building actually live near it??

We have a townhouse in the development up by Washington behind the walgreens. I make a left hand turn from Memorial Ct. (alongside this high rise) onto Studemont in the mornings, and to get just about anywhere else, any other time of day. I don't understand how in the world this intersection is going to handle the traffic! At our last HOA meeting people asked about a light at that intersection, but it is apparently too close to the light at Allen Parkway to stick another light there. The only entrance to these new apartments will be onto Memorial court (unless they tear the wall down along Studemont, but much of that is bridge!).

It's bad enough right now with all the contractors parked on both sides of the street up to the intersection, no longer leaving space for people to turn both right and left onto Studemont at the same time. 300+ additional cars in and out every day?? Joy.

I have a hard time accepting the fears from nearby residents on massive traffic increases because a residential high rise is built there. Do people believe that everyone is going to suddenly leave and go to work at the exact same time? This is not a sports or concert facility where everyone leaves when the game is over. Go and watch near the Museum Tower, Ville de Este, or any of the high rises near Herman park. There is very little traffic at any of those places.

I have a hard time accepting the fears from nearby residents on massive traffic increases because a residential high rise is built there. Do people believe that everyone is going to suddenly leave and go to work at the exact same time? This is not a sports or concert facility where everyone leaves when the game is over. Go and watch near the Museum Tower, Ville de Este, or any of the high rises near Herman park. There is very little traffic at any of those places.

I completely agree. I live near several high rise apartments in the Museum District and there is absolutely no traffic. The Ashby highrise argument still has me perplexed.

I completely agree. I live near several high rise apartments in the Museum District and there is absolutely no traffic. The Ashby highrise argument still has me perplexed.

I think that we should do our own traffic study here and use the information to prove to South Hampton residents that a high-rise does not increase traffic significantly or prove that it does.

What is even more amusing is that poster and another one earlier who complained of the construction causing him problems. I live near here and had to deal with the construction of THEIR townhomes, plus all of the apartments on Studemont. I survived that unscathed. They'll survive this as well. I don't think I will ever understand the logic involved in buying a townhouse, then complaining about the dense construction going up all around you. Isn't that the point of townhouse construction...density?

I am too lazy to go back through all the recent junk in this post, but do any of you who are raving about this building actually live near it??

We have a townhouse in the development up by Washington behind the walgreens. I make a left hand turn from Memorial Ct. (alongside this high rise) onto Studemont in the mornings, and to get just about anywhere else, any other time of day. I don't understand how in the world this intersection is going to handle the traffic! At our last HOA meeting people asked about a light at that intersection, but it is apparently too close to the light at Allen Parkway to stick another light there. The only entrance to these new apartments will be onto Memorial court (unless they tear the wall down along Studemont, but much of that is bridge!).

It's bad enough right now with all the contractors parked on both sides of the street up to the intersection, no longer leaving space for people to turn both right and left onto Studemont at the same time. 300+ additional cars in and out every day?? Joy.

First off, Welcome to the forum. Don't take things on here personally.

If you're too lazy to read the 10 pages of posts, why bother whining about it now? The construction is almost over and done with!

Your left hand turn onto Studemont from Memorial Court has always been a nightmare and I think it has been due for a light for several years. With the combination of Memorial Estates Apartments, The AMLI, and the gated community across the way, it is fully justifiable (I would think) for a light to be there. If anything, you should have been on the ball asking for a light there as it is.

Now considering there is only one way in and one way out of your "subdivision", I'm surprised you didn't complain about the lack of accessibility into and out of that place when you purchased it.

All this aside, perhaps you should focus on getting a light on Memorial Court @ Studemont instead of complaining about a building under construction that you can't do anything about. If you start now, you might get it by 2010 or so.

Seems like turning left onto Washington from Memorial Heights, and then south onto Studemont at the protected left turn signal would be easier, but who am I to say.

It depends on the time of day. Evenings it takes time and the cooperation of eastbound traffic to make a left. I'm also the type that likes to avoid a light where I can. I don't think it will make things better at that intersection either.

I don't really see how a high rise would add that much more traffic. How many people come in and out at one particular time. And Houston has traffic every where any ways. Complaning about traffic do to the construction of a new high rise seems like a waste of time.

First off, Welcome to the forum. Don't take things on here personally.

Been around for some time (see left), I just don't post, and don't worry, I won't run off crying.

Your left hand turn onto Studemont from Memorial Court has always been a nightmare

not really, as long as people are courteous about not trying to pack 4 cars in the median and jump ahead of people.

Now considering there is only one way in and one way out of your "subdivision", I'm surprised you didn't complain about the lack of accessibility into and out of that place when you purchased it.

not true. I like that there is only one entrance to the main development (no cut throughs off washington), but there are two ways to access the main streets, not one. One is just more convenient, as is probably the case for anyone in any neighborhood. As for not complaining when I purchased it, I wasn't the one who did. I married into it.

if you were trying to avoid traffic and density, dont move near downtown.

I love living near downtown. My husband takes the bus to work; I wish I could too but my job is not conducive to that. I love the fact that there really is no traffic in the area, at least not by general Houston standards.

I don't think I will ever understand the logic involved in buying a townhouse, then complaining about the dense construction going up all around you. Isn't that the point of townhouse construction...density?

See above. I just think there could have been some more thought put to things as far as entrances and exits to the building go. It's not like the traffic is coming out into a long, fairly free-flowing street. It will be coming into a short street that is often backed up with several cars on its own.

Do people believe that everyone is going to suddenly leave and go to work at the exact same time? This is not a sports or concert facility where everyone leaves when the game is over.

I don't believe this, and you are correct, there is not a mass exit or entrance from residential high rises. However, anyone who drives during rush hour in this city knows that traffic can be crazy one minute, and not so bad 12 minutes later. It all depends on when you have to/are able to leave. I guess I'm just not lucky enough to always get out of the house during that sweet spot in rush hour.

It depends on the time of day. Evenings it takes time and the cooperation of eastbound traffic to make a left. I'm also the type that likes to avoid a light where I can. I don't think it will make things better at that intersection either.

It won't, but then it is only going to add 330 units to your enclave. AMLI is 385 units, Estates is 437, and Heights Hollow is 174. That's 996 units that already exist, and you're only going to see an increase of about one car for every three that you current see.

But you also have to account for the fact that the demographics in the tower are going to be much different from the demographics of typical 7- or 8-year-old apartment complexes. The income effect reflects that more folks keep 'bankers hours', so to speak. They're a little further up in society than just a recent college grad working a regualr 9-5 job.

I really don't think that you're going to have to worry about crushing traffic or parking problems. That'd be a valid concern if it were an office tower. Consider yourself lucky that you didn't get stuck with that.

Not to beat this dead horse, but it won't hurt you to push for a stoplight at that intersection. I realize that someone at your HOA said it was too close to the light at Allen Parkway, but either that person was wrong or that person was given a wrong answer by whoever told them that. There is no such rule. That location is actually a perfect place for a light, as traffic from both sides of the street funnel into it. My suggestion is to do some research into who makes those decisions and what it takes to get it approved. Getting to know your councilperson would be very useful.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived