Historic Houston Clubs

Subdude

• 4 weeks later...

My parents used to talk about a club on north main called the "P.A" or Pan American Nite Club. My mom and her sisters would go to the Matinee in the 50s and 60s. I know that a lot of prominent Latin groups like Tito Puente and Perez Prado would play there. My dad even played with a band to two. I think the building may still be there, but I'm sure it was closed by the 80s.

Does anyone know anything about it or have any photos of the interior? I've heard about a really beautiful fountain that was near the entrance. My folks and aunts and uncles would love to see.

Edited by purelife

Genora's White Kitchen-my grandfather(dad's father) worked here, and,a ccording to dad, he worked so much, that he's probably one of the waiters, hosts in the photo(painting)!

Market Square-my only exposure to Market Square was being able to get pitchers of beer while still 16 at The Inn on the Square(or was it called Village Inn?), where we used to see a band called Jeramiah Black(Christopher Cross).

On The Border on Telephone Rd., past Hobby Airport where we used to catch bands like Lick, Lightning, (and who could forget that Ramones/Runaways show!) etc.

My parents used to talk about a club on north main called the "P.A" or Pan American Nite Club. My mom and her sisters would go to the Matinee in the 50s and 60s. I know that a lot of prominent Latin groups like Tito Puente and Perez Prado would play there. My dad even played with a band to two. I think the building may still be there, but I'm sure it was closed by the 80s.

Does anyone know anything about it or have any photos of the interior? I've heard about a really beautiful fountain that was near the entrance. My folks and aunts and uncles would love to see.

What a small world it is. The Pan American was a showcase for the local near Northside area. I have older relatives that either played in orchestras and or bands there during the late 1940's and 50 and some in the 60' thru 70's. The PA as it was called rivaled the Stardust Ballroom over on Fulton my much older cousins ran that place for a long time until they finally called it quits.

My mom says that the P.A. as it was known was once a very prominent and high class place back when. People really dressed up to go there. I have some photos of my big sister on the outside circa 1962. I also have many photos of The Stardust Ballroom on inside. That was a much bigger place and became a more focal point as the PA was going downhill by the 1970's. They finally had to demolish both of them because of deglect and disrepair. The only reminder left is the Poppa Burger joint across the street and it will soon disappear as the rail enters. My aunt ran that place for over 20 years. Most is just a memory now. Glad you brought this up!

Over on Chenevert st? on the same corner where Irma's Mexican restaraunt now stands used to be a totally cool Punk Club called "Cabaret Voltaire".

Cabaret was around from about 1980 to about 1984 I think then finally was forced to be shut down (wonder why). The fuzz gave everyone such a hard time. Houston just couldn't cope with this British hardcore type of thrashing what else. They used to feature some really wild and popular punk bands, they pretty much rivaled "Consolidated Arts Warehouse" which was another cool place to hang out in the early 80's. CAW was next to where Chelsea Place is over on Montrose. One night the news was on and they were televising a huge fire and my little sister said ...Hey isn't that where you hang out? What! CAW burned to cinders!

Cabaret Voltaire still hung around for a good while until the new wave/punk scene sort of fizzled out. Mowhaks and spiked colored hair slowly went away. I'll never forget one night Suicidal Tendencies was playing when some girl flew in the air & landed smack on my head! Ouch! still hurts when I think about it! Slam dancing was the Rage now its just called "jumping into the mosh pit". I would probably end up in IC unit. We used to meet so many funny and crazy people with similar interests in music. If anyone has a photo please add?

So much for HouSton's PunK RocK scene...

Good ol days...

Edited by Vertigo58

What a small world it is. The Pan American was a showcase for the local near Northside area. I have older relatives that either played in orchestras and or bands there during the late 1940's and 50 and some in the 60' thru 70's. The PA as it was called rivaled the Stardust Ballroom over on Fulton my much older cousins ran that place for a long time until they finally called it quits.

My mom says that the P.A. as it was known was once a very prominent and high class place back when. People really dressed up to go there. I have some photos of my big sister on the outside circa 1962. I also have many photos of The Stardust Ballroom on inside. That was a much bigger place and became a more focal point as the PA was going downhill by the 1970's. They finally had to demolish both of them because of deglect and disrepair. The only reminder left is the Poppa Burger joint across the street and it will soon disappear as the rail enters. My aunt ran that place for over 20 years. Most is just a memory now. Glad you brought this up!

I just had that in mind about the old Pan American ballroom. i rember it and was going to look for pictures. Can you post some from PA and Stardust. I forgot how it looked, but last i remember was early 90's when i was 12-17. they nocked it down and is currently parking for Casa de Amigos clinic. Poppa Burger will be missed im going to take pictures of it but hopefully they can stay affloat with the addition of the Northline rail extenstion. Ill take some pictures of the area this weekend to share, along with the other old buildings on N. Main-45

• 3 weeks later...
Filio, I have wondered the same thing about a couple of "local" acts, like Roy Head, and Johnny Lee. My mother used to date Roy Head back in his heyday, I can remember hangin' out with him a few times back in the late 70's early 80's. I met Johnny Lee a couple of times back when Urban Cowboy came out, my father and him were drinkin' buddies at Gilley's then when Johnny opened his own club they would alternate.

Roy is all over the news again now that his son Sundance is a finalist on American Idol. I believe he lives up 59 in Porter.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the info! I'd love to see some photos if you can post them!

Thanks for the info! I'd love to see some photos if you can post them!

Will do! Got to scan some more then will post!

I ate at Poppa Burger the other day again before it vanishes. Took several photos for future interest. Boy that area was so alive in the day. Like a ghost town now. :(

• 4 years later...

Railhead was my absolute favorite restaurant as a kid in the 70's. It has been about 20 other places since then. T-Town 2000 was and is the last incarnation there now, with shootings and stabbings nightly.

Is the Look's by the Dome still there, I think the sign is.

Not the same building since 1989

• 10 months later...

used to go to alot of the clubs. always liked fools gold, cow hop, the club in the barbary coast apartments. blancos and this really cool place in montrose but i can not remember the name. there was always a place to go to after work to unwind. houston had descent bars and today because of health problems cant drink and party anymore but have good memories of these places.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband was a DJ at Gabs and went to many others.  He was trying to remember some of them.  I can remember some, but would love to see pictures of the late 70's/early 80's clubs.  We went back recently and so many are gone now...even the buildings.

• 2 months later...

I was curious what the bar scene was like back in the 70's around Houston. Was the ever a place similar to Studio 54 in town?

Also where there ever "singles bars"? What were they like and if anyone has any funny or interesting stories I would love to hear them!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

When you say singles bars, are you talking about the pressure cooker clubs? If so Houston had a few of them. The Cedar lounge was the most popular located on Airline drive just down the street from Dance Town USA. Mostly frequented by men that worked evenings they would show up there around noon time. The women that showed up there were mostly house wives and probably a few single women looking for a man. I was once there with a friend looking for her boyfriend and the place was very dark. You had to be in the place a few minutes to get your eyes adjusted before you could see. they had a juke box or a band and the dancing was fun but all the men were intent on going home with someone before about three in the afternoon. Just for the record, my friends boy friend never showed up. Had he walked through the door we would have seen him at once but he could have never seen us. So their relationship was saved for another day. There were a couple of more in town but I did not know the name of them.

post-11998-0-77255700-1391356312_thumb.j

• Like 1