End-Of-Main Dance Pavilion At 6815 Old Main Street Rd.

Highrise Tower

I was reading more of that local Southwestern Times Houston magazine. The issue was dated Thursday, April 25, 1946 and I saw a business listing for "Old Main" Dancing located One Block South of Bellaire Blvd. on Old Main St. Road.

Does anyone know anything about this place? Very cool find! Never heard of it before.

zfNTkCF.png

• Like 1

• The title was changed to End-O-Main Dance Pavilion At 6815 Old Main St. Road
  • 1 month later...

@Ross@Dave W

I found the confusion! There were 2 End of Main (dance places.) The original back in the 1940s burned down, then it was rebuilt as a fireproof building, near the other location.  I believe they were called slightly different things. Both had "end of main" but one was called a "Dance Pavilion" and the other a "Ballroom". Officially at least. I'm sure the locals called the venues multiple things.

Now for the "end of main" part.. I've read, and heard, a lot of different spellings!

1. End-o-Main
  2. End o Main
  3. End-of-Main
  4. End of Main
  5. End o' Main

The original location at 6815 Old Main Road was managed by (owned by?) Marvin S. Hacker. The owner of the new location at 9810 South Main was Harry D. Johnston. Although the Johnston's were in partnership of the original location.

Note: A HAIF member ( @sherlene ) indicates the original location was owned by Ed Eisemann. So maybe, indeed, Marvin S. Hacker. was only the manager?

Per Ross:

End-O-Main Dance Pavilion was at 6815 Old Main Road in 1942.

image.png

The End-O-Main Ballroom shows up in the 1959 Houston City Directory at 9810 Main.

image.png

From the newspaper Southwestern Times dated April 6, 1950.

End 'O Main Dance Hall Opens At New Location

The new End O' Main Dance Hall located at 9800 South Main, will hold its grand opening Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, according to the owners, Mr. and Mrs. D.J. Johnston of 2054 Southgate. Music will be furnished by Milt Smith and His Orchestra.

The Johnstons who were partner in the original wooden hall on the Old Main Street Road when it burned to the round May 11, 1949, sold the original site. The new building, of fireproof construction is of masonry.

Design to hold a maximum of 1200 to 1300 people, the building has a 50-by-100-foot dance floor. After the week-end, the hall will be opened regularly on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights.

JjgeGo9.png

• Like 2

• The title was changed to End-O-Main Dance Pavilion At 6815 Old Main Street Rd.
  • The title was changed to End-Of-Main Dance Pavilion At 6815 Old Main Street Rd.
  • 8 months later...

There are 2 buildings that HAIF has previously discussed that are questionable.  Hopefully, one day, HAIF can identify each building!

In a newspaper dated August 8, 1946 there was a business advertisement stating the location.

"Old Main" Dancing
Friday-Saturday-Sunday Nights

One block south of Bellaire Blvd. on Old Main Street Rd.

Now High-Class Environment
No Rowdyism

Hadley 0235

Orpb88h.jpg

Houston looking north on South Main. September 10, 1947.

cCkhZ5w.jpg

1) Given the ad said one block south of Bellaire Blvd. on Old Main Street Road, it's probably not the building fronting Bellaire (Holcombe).
Edit: That will be the End-Of-Main Grill located at 2102 Holcombe Boulevard.

2) Going south on OMSR, you see a weird, parking garage, shape in the grass.  Not sure if that's a building, or just an outlined field.
Edit: That will be the Main Riding Academy Stables located at 6805 Old Main Street Road.

3) Then comes a slender, restaurant drive-in, looking building.
Edit: That will be apart of the Main Riding Academy Stables located at 6805 Old Main Street Road?

4) Finally, at the end of the block, comes a larger warehouse/hall building, that could actually be the End-Of-Main Dance Pavilion.
Edit: That will be the End-Of-Main Dance Pavilion located at 6815 Old Main Street Road.

bGfVyLd.jpg

Ross thinks, in another thread, this is the End of Main Dance Pavilion:

Wait!

The stables next door has an address of 6805 Old Main Street Road, the Dance Pavilion is at 6815 Old Main Street Road.
- Stables
- Unknown building
- End-Of-Main Dance Pavilion

I believe we found it!

h1agzLg.jpg

Here's a Google Earth aerial photo from 1944 showing the general area.  Lesser quality from the above images, but thought I would include it.

X2fG9kN.jpg

Is it just me, or is this the EOMDP? I can see a similar-shaped building, and parcel(s) in the background of this Shamrock Hotel grand opening photograph.  I'm not exactly sure what direction this photo was taken, but it does look like the End-Of-Main Grill at 2102 Holcombe and then a short distance south you have the oddly shaped End-Of-Main Dance Pavilion.

xpqGKJV.jpg

M3RBdWB.jpg