METRORapid Inner Katy Corridor

HouTXRanger

Managed, maybe elevated lanes considered for I-10 as TxDOT tries out options for clogged corridor

The Texas Department of Transportation and the Metropolitan Transit Authority are jointly presenting plans for a so-called Inner Katy Corridor, a project to remake the 10-lane freeway — five lanes in each direction supported by frontage roads and entrance and exit ramps — by building dedicated bus lanes, adding two managed lanes in each direction and upgrading drainage along depressed portions of the freeway.

Saw this on reddit...

TTRJwGJ.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Tx-Dot's proposal, outside of the elevated bus lane (which would be cool to see), is so dumb. I also am impressed by them wanting to add lanes and do other construction stuff right on the doorstep of the Heights. Like, none of this makes a nice area any better and in fact just does more to increase car related incidents and all the externalities that come with living near a massive highway. Living most of my life near freeways and feeder roads in less desirable parts of Houston, I genuinely thought increased lanes on highways and stuff didn't happen when you got closer to more affluent areas. 

The only piece of this part of I-10 that gives me headaches otw home is getting on 45. Other than that, this part of i-10 doesn't feel as busy as some other freeways around town. 

• Like 1

The bus lanes are fully funded. I understand the value of coordinating with TXDOT, but Metro/HGAC can't let TXDOT delay the project. 

That is the particularly galling thing though. None of the proposed alternatives include converting existing lanes to managed, which would be *far* cheaper and less disruptive to the surrounding neighborhoods. Plus TXDOT *just* finished expanding the feeders - why wasn't this addressed then?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Some one said:

Yeah I rather they just build the bus lanes and convert the centermost lanes into hov/hot lanes.

Do HOV lanes actually work? Is there evidence of that? I don't understand why we keep building HOV lanes when I'm on a traffic packed 45/288 and I'm like one of a handful of cars zooming into town. 

Because then you can have alternates that can bring a larger amount of people in.  HOV lanes allow express busses, shuttles, van pools, etc the ability to still come in to town without worrying about as much traffic.  Even a 2+ HOV lane has double the throughput of a lane with only single occupancy vehicles, because there are twice as many people by definition.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2021 at 2:56 PM, BeerNut said:

That might work if they can produce a self driving hoverbus in the next 10 years!

On 3/8/2021 at 4:07 PM, X.R. said:

Living most of my life near freeways and feeder roads in less desirable parts of Houston, I genuinely thought increased lanes on highways and stuff didn't happen when you got closer to more affluent areas. 

That area didn't start becoming affluent until about 15-20 years ago and the freeway was routed through there over 50 years ago, so it's not as well insulated against big road expansion like areas that have been continuously affluent from the start like River Oaks. 

• Like 2

I could honestly live with the elevated managed lanes, and I wonder what Metro's plan for the Regional Express buses is through section of I-10 and whether it was dependent on planned managed lanes or using the MetroRapid lanes...

But increasing capacity on this section of I-10 just seems like so the wrong thing for TXDOT to be spending money on. 

With all these freeway rebuilds, I just keep thinking more express lanes that push through clogged interchanges are needed--and not more concrete. So much of our traffic issues are at interchanges. For instance that eastbound mess from Silber to T.C. Jester where you have to move over 17 lanes just to avoid traffic between all the exits between Silber and TCJ.  Heck, we almost need one lane just devoted to through traffic from W. Grand Parkway to E. Grand Parkway.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I like the way these actually try to interact with the street grid more than a median style transit route; the shepherd transit center is a good idea, but it would mean losing that Saltgrass steakhouse.

The studemont stop will be close to Kroger - I didn't even realize that before.  Could be a nice way to do a grocery run for downtown residents, depending on how well the transit center connects to it

4 hours ago, cspwal said:

I like the way these actually try to interact with the street grid more than a median style transit route; the shepherd transit center is a good idea, but it would mean losing that Saltgrass steakhouse.

The studemont stop will be close to Kroger - I didn't even realize that before.  Could be a nice way to do a grocery run for downtown residents, depending on how well the transit center connects to it

This area has the potential for serious walkability but it sucks when you have a car wash going in just a few blocks away. Not against the car wash but we need wider sidewalks along Studemont to provide good pedestrian  activity. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 2:52 PM, JJxvi said:

The complete impossibility of connecting these two lines with Memorial Park annoys me.

On 2/2/2021 at 3:20 PM, Texasota said:

It's not impossible at all; it's just not part of the plan. Assuming this gets built as presented, an obvious future step (to me at least) would be to add an infill station where I-10 crosses Westcott/Washington. That would serve as a western Cottage Grove/Rice Military Station, but it would also provide easy access to Memorial Park. Direct access to the Memorial Park Loop and sports fields specifically.

Good news!  Metro is in discussions with the City and Memorial Park Conservancy exploring the possibility of adding a station at Memorial Park for the Inner Katy BRT.

• Like 9

On 4/5/2021 at 5:33 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

This area has the potential for serious walkability but it sucks when you have a car wash going in just a few blocks away. Not against the car wash but we need wider sidewalks along Studemont to provide good pedestrian  activity. 

I would think that having wider sidewalks is a function of the size of the city owned right of way rather than what businesses are along the street.  Typically, the city owns property wider than the street itself so it can build whatever it wants along it's right of way.  So the question is how far past the curbs does the city own?

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

Good news!  Metro is in discussions with the City and Memorial Park Conservancy exploring the possibility of adding a station at Memorial Park for the Inner Katy BRT.

Seems like given the festivals and events that take place at memorial park it would have been part of the original plan.

On 2/26/2021 at 12:10 PM, pablog said:

I vote for Option D because the above are atrocious:

A7717411-8977-4D43-B64E-250E3FBF67E5.jpeg

So, the way I read your proposal is that we drop nuclear weapons on the westbound frontage and main lanes, build third world quality buildings on the managed lanes and have people living on the the eastbound main lanes since they're too afraid to live in a ramshackle midrise?

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2021 at 4:59 PM, august948 said:

Typically, the city owns property wider than the street itself so it can build whatever it wants along it's right of way.  So the question is how far past the curbs does the city own?

IIRC from dealing with HCFCD during the Ardmore St bridge project, the ROW extends 16 1/2 ft from the back edge of the curb.

Edited by JLWM8609

9 hours ago, JLWM8609 said:

IIRC from dealing with HCFCD during the Ardmore St bridge project, the ROW extends 16 1/2 ft from the back edge of the curb.

Yes. It can vary, but according to the Public Works website, the city's right-of-way extends "approximately 16 feet from the back of the curb."

• 8 months later...