METRORapid Inner Katy Corridor

HouTXRanger

Yesterday, there was a Capital & Strategic Committee Mtg and a big portion of it was on Inner-Katy. As of now, looks like staff will recommend 3 stations - Memorial Park, Shepherd/Durham, and Studemont. I think not having a fourth station at Yale/Heights will be a huge miss as Studemont will not really connect to the Heights. Again, these can possibly change as options still remain open, but seems like this is the stance METRO is taking with stations. 

Design should start after August 2022 and they mentioned a 2027 opening as well. 

Meeting will be linked below:

https://ridemetro.granicus.com/player/clip/2263?view_id=5&redirect=true

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I was actually gonna mention that! Looks like you beat me to the punch :)

Also, they mentioned the downtown segment- they’re pushing for the Franklin/Bagby station, they’ll be using the Capitol/Rusk alignment, and they’ll have a station at EaDo/St Emmanuel. 

I was still sort of unclear on how they’ll use the LRT infrastructure - are they gonna be literally driving on the tracks? Or is it another separate lane?

• Like 4

I like the idea of a Memorial Park station.  Then I can get from downtown to the park without having to drive. 

The Shepherd might have potential, but I'd have to see a map of the proposed alignment.

I don't know that a fourth station is needed, but I certainly think Yale/Heights would be better than Studemont.   More access to commercial space and higher density housing.  Unless the idea is to spur such development in the Studemont area. 

• Like 7

@BEES?! will travel with light rail trains in the same lane and share the same station. They will dedicate the lane for transit use only, so the current configuration with private automobiles driving on the light rail tracks would be prohibited. 

• Like 5

On 3/20/2022 at 11:54 AM, editor said:

I like the idea of a Memorial Park station.  Then I can get from downtown to the park without having to drive. 

The Shepherd might have potential, but I'd have to see a map of the proposed alignment.

I don't know that a fourth station is needed, but I certainly think Yale/Heights would be better than Studemont.   More access to commercial space and higher density housing.  Unless the idea is to spur such development in the Studemont area. 

studemont has the new metro boost thing so I think they are trying to spur more medium/high density development along it, but I agree, yale/heights would make more sense IMO

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 4:38 PM, BEES?! said:

Wow... That was a lot of unnecessary hunting and clicking to get to that document.  Reminds me of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

“But the plans were on display…”

“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”

“That’s the display department.”

“With a flashlight.”

“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”

“So had the stairs.”

“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”

“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard.'”

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 9 months later...
20 hours ago, JClark54 said:

METRO posted a project video yesterday: 

I don't see why they can't just do it over the HOV lane in the middle of the highway instead of cutting down those hundreds of trees/ expanding the width of the highway.

I might be alone on this, but I hateeeeee the design.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Amlaham said:

I don't see why they can't just do it over the HOV lane in the middle of the highway instead of cutting down those hundreds of trees/ expanding the width of the highway.

I've been thinking the same man! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Amlaham said:

Maybe because there is no HOV lane in the middle of the highway??

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, xbryanisbeastx said:

I'm sure we've been over this many times but I wish they woulda just extended the green or purple line down washington :(

I don't think these are mutually exclusive options. The Inner Katy BRT is a true "express" route from Downtown to Uptown. A Washington tram line would (presumably) be more local. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Maybe because there is no HOV lane in the middle of the highway??

There are bus lanes in the middle of 610 that were recently built without HOV lanes. There doesn't need to be HOV lanes to build elevated lanes in the middle. 

14 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Also, stations in the middle of the highway?

In all fairness, whoever is using it to go to the Heights (north of i10) will still have to cross the highway with the current design, at least if it was in the middle it would be split between those traveling north and south of i10. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Amlaham said:

There are bus lanes in the middle of 610 that were recently built without HOV lanes. There doesn't need to be HOV lanes to build elevated lanes in the middle. 

But there does need to be HOV lanes in order to build elevated lanes above HOV  lanes as you proposed.  😉

But more to the point, probably because TxDot is planning to construct elevated managed lanes above the center of the freeway.

Edited by Houston19514

50 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

But there does need to be HOV lanes in order to build elevated lanes above HOV  lanes as you proposed.  😉

But more to the point, probably because TxDot is planning to construct elevated managed lanes above the center of the freeway.

Ohhhh I see what you mean. There aren't HOV lanes on that portion of i10. I really wish they would replicate the 610 portion of the bus lanes. 

• 9 months later...

I-10 Inner Katy Corridor managed lanes from Voss Road to I-45

Virtual public meeting with in-person option 

Virtual: Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2024, at 5 p.m. 

In-person: Thursday, Feb. 8, 2024, from 5 to 7 p.m.

The proposed project would include approximately 6.3 miles of new managed lanes, reconstructing the existing general-purpose lanes, and expanding the current drainage system. I-10 between the project limits consists of five 12-foot-wide general-purpose lanes in each direction, 8 to 10 foot-wide shoulders, a discontinuous frontage road system varying between 2 to 3 12-foot-wide lanes, and 6-foot-wide sidewalks. The existing right-of-way is approximately 415-feet-wide.

TxDOT is currently considering two alternatives to add four managed lanes which will be presented at this public meeting to compare to the no-build scenario. The two alternatives are: 1) Elevated Managed Lanes where the proposed managed lanes would be on an elevated structure with minimal right-of-way (ROW) needed (approximately 0.34 acres) and no residential or business displacements and 2) Non-elevated Managed Lanes where the proposed managed lanes would be located at the same grade as the general purpose lanes, expanding the ROW needed (approximately 12.54 additional acres), with displacements of approximately 52 residential structures and 30 businesses/commercial structures.

The proposed project would, subject to final design considerations, require additional ROW and potentially displace 52 residential structures and 30 business/commercial structures. Relocation assistance is available for displaced persons and businesses. Information about the Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition Act and services and benefits for those displaced and other affected property owners, as well as information about the tentative schedule for ROW acquisition, may be obtained from the ROW Project Delivery Manager by calling 713-802-5753.

The proposed project would involve an action in a floodplain.

Any environmental documentation or studies, maps and drawings showing the project location and design, tentative construction schedules, and other information regarding the proposed project are on file and available for review Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the TxDOT Houston District Office, 7600 Washington Avenue, Houston, Texas 77007. 

https://www.txdot.gov/projects/hearings-meetings/houston/i10-inner-katy-managed-lanes-020624.html

https://www.txdot.gov/projects/hearings-meetings.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1