The White Oak: Mixed-Use At 2520 Houston Ave.

Urbannizer

14 minutes ago, Triton said:

Wow what an incredibly poor plan.... here's to hoping those entire bottom 3 floors are parking garage only. Let me post 3 years of flooding pictures for this exact address when I get home. 

Seriously, that is the first thing that came to my mind. 

Edited by urbanize713
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Triton said:

Wow what an incredibly poor plan.... here's to hoping those entire bottom 3 floors are parking garage only. Let me post 3 years of flooding pictures for this exact address when I get home. 

On the bright side it definitely shows a shift in thinking when even small projects such as these include retail/office as part of the development.

• Like 3

Lived in Elan Heights Apts just down the bayou during Harvey - it was designed with a large catch basin underneath and first 3 floors are garage - nothing flooded ( water came to about 4 feet below garage level 1 ) even when the private homes right across the street took on water - I hope they use the same site planners as EH  if it gets built - 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

this is somehow uglier than the decaying bar that is currently on the property. 

It's a shame something more novel can't be placed here.  This lot is essentially surrounded by the most functioning-native greenspace/woods inside the loop (sans memorial park).  I am pretty consistently amazed at how many songbirds i see in my backyard a half-mile south of this area. 

Edited by crock

25 minutes ago, crock said:

this is somehow uglier than the decaying bar that is currently on the property. 

It's a shame something more novel can't be placed here.  This lot is essentially surrounded by the most functioning-native greenspace/woods inside the loop (sans memorial park).  I am pretty consistently amazed at how many songbirds i see in my backyard a half-mile south of this area. 

You must be in First Ward. I am in 6th Ward.

There is certainly a lot of density in our area. I hope we continue to improve and preserve green-space. It IS amazing how many birds are around...

Although I think these primitive/prelim renderings may show a worse aesthetic than reality, I am not especially excited about this either. Density here is OK, but I don't want these kinds of buildings to creep into the neighborhoods. I hope the homes to remain in-tact. This lot is generally horrible, so whatever goes in, was going to be a little squirrelly. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, southerncrj said:

New and higher-quality rendering posted on LoopNet. Several fairly significant (IMHO, for the better) changes to the design. Looking at it though, I can't fully figure out where will the retail go. It appears at least that it won't be street level, or am I missing something?

Houston Ave new building where Lucky's was.jpg

Good find. Definitely more contemporary than the previous. The retail will either be on the far west end or the far east end. Technically it will be ground floor retail (see that first band of windows just above the archs below). This will have to be done since this site is, I believe, is technically in the 100 year floodplain. Per code they have to elevate that first floor. Looks like they will put customer parking where you see those arches below the windows.

• Like 3

Since I'll have the distinct pleasure of sharing not one, but two fence lines with this monstrosity, I'm a little more than pissed something more creative couldn't be sold and built.  I had been hoping something would be done with this property, but this wasn't it.  From the looks of the new rendering it appears every bit of my view of the surrounding nature from the west fence to my south fence is going to be filled with concrete and bricks, completely blocking out any hope of ever seeing a sunset from the back porch again..  Thanks neighbor.  I already have to deal with you not keeping up the house next door and the 15 foot weeds in the backyard, now I'll get to look at this piece of shit and pay more taxes.  Super awesome guy. 

So you're in one the of remaining little cottages (and not one of the mediocre townhomes across the street)? I don't think your views would have been spare by any kind of construction on this lot, but they've only shown views from White Oak so far. I think we need to see a site plan to know exactly how it will affect Wrightwood.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tyson6680 said:

Since I'll have the distinct pleasure of sharing not one, but two fence lines with this monstrosity, I'm a little more than pissed something more creative couldn't be sold and built.  I had been hoping something would be done with this property, but this wasn't it.  

What would you prefer to be done here? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

What would you prefer to be done here? 

Additional park space, a restaurant on elevated piers, or really anything that wouldn't block out the entire western sky and give me less daylight in the backyard.  I had a short conversation with Ronnie Killen about a year ago and I let him know the lot was for sale as well when I read his business was looking for Houston locations.  That was for totally selfish reasons :)

As far as the property, I sit higher and can barely see the top of the bar from my backyard.  Anything 3 to 4 stories tall wouldn't be an annoyance.  Also, this building will end up making Wrightwood St. its overflow parking

On 3/24/2020 at 7:41 PM, LBC2HTX said:

It actually looks like your southern fence line won’t be completely obstructed.

I hope, though the second rendering looks like it has a two story structure that will snug up to that side of the yard.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The building proposed was underwater. This is a lake when it floods. This is very wrong. People was not notified about turning a bayou  a parking Garage and Building. When they dig x the. Foundation they will destabilize the area. And the flood will be worse than this pictures. Is  Intentional. Rip off of potential buyers. All the bottom 3-4 floors will flood. Not functional   

DB7A93DB-5139-4F25-990C-E6A63550C001.jpeg

69E7E5D0-EBD1-419F-965D-9571CB71EADD.jpeg

D6DFECEC-A046-4AB7-B5A8-7F96DF1E9137.jpeg

65C23BAD-C252-4049-AE99-A6A1CCCA14D3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 3:21 PM, Triton said:

I work just down the road and my first thought was.......Stupid place for a multi use.....it floods all the time in that area.   Even if they get it 3 stories off the ground...where is the retail suppose to go??  

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to The White Oak: 8-Story Mixed-Use (2520 Houston Ave)
  • 1 month later...

Did I understand the video correctly?   First floor parking, then a floor of retail, and then 3 more floors of parking?  

Also, they referred to the building the party was held as their "sister building?"   Looks like the building at Studewood and 11th.  Can anyone confirm?

Also, Mr. Houston?   🤢

• The title was changed to The White Oak: 8-Story Mixed-Use At 2520 Houston Ave.
  • 4 months later...

Nothing too exciting to share - though this sign for a civil engineering firm popped up in the green space next to the old Luckys...perhaps that's a positive sign. Not sure what percentage of units sold they need to reach to move forward? Saw a sign that 30% were sold months ago and seems like a few more have gone pending since then.

20210615_202603.jpg

• Like 5