Retail Center At 120 Westheimer Rd.

CrockpotandGravel

T-Swirl Crêpe, a Japanese creperie chain, is leasing a unit at 120 Westheimer. Depending on permitting and construction, this should open in Montrose around the summer.

The only other dedicated Japanese creperie in the Houston area I'm aware of is Eight Turn Crêpe in Katy Asian Town.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 2

I can’t get over how bad Davis dropped the ball on this lot. Are they blind and dumb? Are they completely unaware of the trend in development? Something massive with GFR would be great where both shopping centers are. Hell I would have rather they had torn down the older center and made one large new one up to the sidewalk with parking in the back. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 7:59 PM, thedistrict84 said:

Yep, saw that coming. Suburban-style strip center leads to suburban tenants. Ugh.

Honestly, I'm surprised it took this long. I live nearby, and there aren't really any low-cost pizza chains nearby. Papa Johns at Westheimer/Montrose (which is likely to be gone soon enough) and Pepperoni's and nothing in Midtown.

Yes, there is plenty of pizza out there, but there is surely some demand for low end. 

Maybe they'll get some of the delivery ebikes like downtown has.

• Like 2

This is completely off-topic.  I saw your post of 6/2018, mentioning Theodore's.  I moved from Houston 20 years ago, and have been racking my brain trying to remember the name of a bar on lower Westheimer  that was a large old building with multiple levels, or maybe the restrooms were upstairs.  I know this sounds very scattered, but I was there only once.  I don't think it specifically had a reputation as a gay bar.  Could that have been Theodore's?  Thank you!

5 hours ago, Ruthie said:

This is completely off-topic.  I saw your post of 6/2018, mentioning Theodore's.  I moved from Houston 20 years ago, and have been racking my brain trying to remember the name of a bar on lower Westheimer  that was a large old building with multiple levels, or maybe the restrooms were upstairs.  I know this sounds very scattered, but I was there only once.  I don't think it specifically had a reputation as a gay bar.  Could that have been Theodore's?  Thank you!

Hi Ruthie,
 Sounds like Mother's, a converted mansion which was a block off Westheimer (Lovett Blvd. at Taft).
It also had been a piano bar in the early 80's and had several different names over the years.
The last thing it was used for before being demolished in the mid- 90's was as a staging area for the cast and crew of the movie "A Woman of Independent Means" (starring Sally Field).

On 2/3/2020 at 12:53 PM, wilcal said:

Honestly, I'm surprised it took this long. I live nearby, and there aren't really any low-cost pizza chains nearby. Papa Johns at Westheimer/Montrose (which is likely to be gone soon enough) and Pepperoni's and nothing in Midtown.

Yes, there is plenty of pizza out there, but there is surely some demand for low end. 

Maybe they'll get some of the delivery ebikes like downtown has.

I agree 

Take out pizza joints are scarce going east on Elgin. One of my kids bought in third ward just where it meets Museum district.....sort of a low cost pizza desert....thought something might go in close to Emancipation park or on Emancipation Blvd.......nope. Wondering what pizza chains are waiting for?

still....can’t say I don’t appreciate having a Dominos in Avondale......nice when they are located close....pizza arrives hot ;) 

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 1

Eh. There's always Gotham, which is a lot better than Dominos and not very expensive. And of course there are few more expensive Neopolitan-style options.

Ultimately, this is southeast Texas, not New Jersey. Cheap and delicious tacos, kolaches, and even banh mi are plentiful; pizza (and bagels) not so much.

• 3 weeks later...

Domino's opened yesterday!

Stopped by and talked with the manager and they were having some first day pains, but seemed to be somewhat under control. It's a  corporate-owned store.

They actually have 12 ebikes to use for delivery. He said he was having a hard time actually hiring enough drivers. 

He took me into the back behind the oven and they have racks for all 12 to hang up and a battery charging station. 

They are set up to do car deliveries as well, but he said that they were going to try to do all ebike. He said his territory was 59 on the south, 59/288 on the east, Allen parkway on the north, and Taft on the west. Definitely a manageable region for ebikes imho. 

The Joint had some equipment inside their store front, so they may not be terrible far away.

KrqSwQC.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2020 at 7:49 AM, wilcal said:

Domino's opened yesterday!

Stopped by and talked with the manager and they were having some first day pains, but seemed to be somewhat under control. It's a  corporate-owned store.

They actually have 12 ebikes to use for delivery. He said he was having a hard time actually hiring enough drivers. 

He took me into the back behind the oven and they have racks for all 12 to hang up and a battery charging station. 

They are set up to do car deliveries as well, but he said that they were going to try to do all ebike. He said his territory was 59 on the south, 59/288 on the east, Allen parkway on the north, and Taft on the west. Definitely a manageable region for ebikes imho. 

The Joint had some equipment inside their store front, so they may not be terrible far away.

KrqSwQC.jpg

Maybe that’s why I’ve seen so many Dominos drivers on bikes! It’s been nice to see! 

• Like 4

• The title was changed to 120 Westheimer Rd.
  • 3 months later...

I noticed what look like a new restaurant on lower Westheimer in the shopping strip just west of the Spur. I think it is a Mexican restaurant (Madiera?, Madera?) Close to the Mac and Cheese place. Anyone know what it is?

On 10/2/2022 at 1:59 PM, dguet said:

I noticed what look like a new restaurant on lower Westheimer in the shopping strip just west of the Spur. I think it is a Mexican restaurant (Madiera?, Madera?) Close to the Mac and Cheese place. Anyone know what it is?

The name of the restaurant is Maderas and serves contemporary Mexican cuisine. It's located at 120 Westheimer Rd, Suite A.

I don't know if Maderas offers fare from various Mexican regions or concentrates on one in particular.

You can contact them for further details on their social media platforms.

https://www.instagram.com/maderashtx/

Mods, you all may want to merge this with the ongoing topic about the 120 Westheimer property where this is located:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/45596-120-westheimer-rd

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

On 10/7/2022 at 11:13 AM, dguet said:

Thanks. I hadn't had a chance to drive by and see the name. That helps. I hope it's a good one!

You're welcome.

Mods @Triton @Highrise Tower @Urbannizer @jmancuso, please merge this with the ongoing topic about the 120 Westheimer property where this is located:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/45596-120-westheimer-rd

• 5 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Retail Center At 120 Westheimer Rd.