Sign in to follow this  
brunsonpark08

Toys R Us opening in Houston Galleria fall 2019

Toys r Us is opening two concept stores this fall. One at the Galleria and the other at a mall in New Jersey. Why do you think they chose Houston? Does anyone know in which wing the store will open? I hope it succeeds but I have doubts. 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I posted about this in the Galleria Expansion thread last week...i am excited for it.

Houston was chosen because it is one of the largest and busiest malls in the country I am thinking.

also i thought it was going to go where TopMan/TopShop was since a 2 story location would be cool and help divide out the sections they mention in articles where there will be a try and play section...(plus that would have placed it right there by the children's galleria themed play area)...but i noticed a sign saying "Q" coming soon (which i take it is the womens clothing store)

but since b8ta store has involvement in this i am thinking it will be in the Saks Fifth Avenue wing near b8ta and obviously there is enough empty space down that hall still...

we shall see (as the only other space i have noticed large enough is the east end of the ice skating level by the post office next to the massage place as that is now a large white painted wall...

https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/18/toys-r-us-taps-tech-startup-b8ta-to-bring-its-stores-into-the-future/

Again, I am excited about a toy store... 🤡

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

Is Toys R Us trying to become F. A. O. Schwarz? Why not? I was at Rockefeller Center in June about 11:00 am on a Tuesday and the place was packed.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I miss F.A.O Schwartz here in Houston...I would go there often (in the Grand Lux Cafe space on Westheimer)...

However while I wish they would have a big new and improved Flagship store like F.A.O in New York here in Houston...this new store will be relatively small prototype stores that they claim will be a "new kind of toy store"...

only time will tell........

(and will add...of course the NYC F.A.O was packed as it's in the heart of everything that is NYC...plus it's an iconic landmark and the site of the awesomeness that is the movie BIG! although i will bet most people go in there not to shop but to look around and experience the wonder of it all...that is, until Christmas time when I am sure there are tons of actual shoppers.)

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

NYC F.A.O. is definitely as much a tourist attraction as it is a retail outlet. I think what a revived Toys R Us needs to avoid is competing with on-line stores (perhaps even itself) and focus on the new and unusual in its brick-and-mortar stores. People will want to "test drive" innovative products and buy them if they like them. This may have been what made Sharper Image an initial success. Are there any of those stores still around?

• Like 1

No Shaper Images that i know of but yes what you described is EXACTLY what the new Toys R Us will be...just like the b8ta store in the Galleria that is creating this new version of Toys R Us!

It will be interesting to say the least

On 8/7/2019 at 11:34 AM, gene said:

I miss F.A.O Schwartz here in Houston...I would go there often (in the Grand Lux Cafe space on Westheimer)...

However while I wish they would have a big new and improved Flagship store like F.A.O in New York here in Houston...this new store will be relatively small prototype stores that they claim will be a "new kind of toy store"...

only time will tell........

(and will add...of course the NYC F.A.O was packed as it's in the heart of everything that is NYC...plus it's an iconic landmark and the site of the awesomeness that is the movie BIG! although i will bet most people go in there not to shop but to look around and experience the wonder of it all...that is, until Christmas time when I am sure there are tons of actual shoppers.)

The current NYC FAO Schwarz location isn't the same one that was in BIG - that was the Fifth Avenue store, which closed in 2015 during the period when the company was owned by Toys R Us. The new location is in 30 Rock and just opened at the end of last year. 

• Like 1

I see...well most people probably wont know that...including me haha! 🤡 and the funny part is i was there at the original about 10 years ago and i couldn't tell you where it was other than new york...but man i love that place...and that city! 🙃

On 8/9/2019 at 10:17 AM, gene said:

I see...well most people probably wont know that...including me haha! 🤡 and the funny part is i was there at the original about 10 years ago and i couldn't tell you where it was other than new york...but man i love that place...and that city! 🙃

I had a yellow taxi cab as a kid that made noises, and one of the buttons was someone asking to go to FAO Schwartz in a super thick New York accent, and they said where it was but I can't remember it now

• Thanks 1

Dang!!! I want one of those...sounds amazing!!!!!!!!!! 😮