SpringShadows

Memorial Park Master Plan

Thanks for all the pictures! I wonder if they plan on lengthening the boardwalk or if those stubs at the X are just design?

• Like 3

What a wonderful park. Can’t wait to see all the phases come together.

reminds me of Stanley park in Vancouver.

will there be a high end restaurant in the park?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Avossos said:

What a wonderful park. Can’t wait to see all the phases come together.

reminds me of Stanley park in Vancouver.

will there be a high end restaurant in the park?

Arby's FTW

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Avossos Funny you should mention that. I was thinking of Stanley Park while I was there, and that great restaurant. Memorial Park would benefit from such a place.  Good thought. 

@cloud713 those stubs are just a creative change in direction of the walk and provide a resting space that’s out of the traffic path, so to speak.  It’s a cool effect. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, cloud713 said:

Thanks for all the pictures! I wonder if they plan on lengthening the boardwalk or if those stubs at the X are just design?

Based on what I can tell, they are more there for style rather than some future expansion.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Triton said:

Based on what I can tell, they are more there for style rather than some future expansion.

Yeah, finally went last night myself and walked in this area. The boardwalk in the wooded area is rather narrow, so I think these little stubs allow people to either take a break or step out of the main path so traffic can flow through.

• Like 2

It was a great experience visiting the park, I am excited for the Land Bridge and further improvements. Somewhat off topic but I only wish that Uptown had a smaller city park within as well as bordering Memorial Park. Great addition to Memorial Park though, I feel that this is now the heart of the park so to speak. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Skyboxdweller said:

Uptown has three parks:  the Water Wall, Grady Park and the small pocket park on San Felipe.  

Don't forget Uptown Park...😛

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I never noticed how there was a street(Blossom) which goes straight on from that area of the park. From above it looks pretty cool.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Skyboxdweller said:

Uptown has three parks:  the Water Wall, Grady Park and the small pocket park on San Felipe.  

Something more in the 4-6 acre range along post oak 👀

• Like 2

@Triton darn you and your awesomeness and your awesome photos! you captured exactly what my experience was that i spoke of in my earlier post...love this park as the sunsets and the park's lighting...

amazing job :) 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

So does anyone know exactly what stretch of Memorial this will be and how far down it goes?

If you are asking literally how far down it goes, the answer is not at all.  Memorial Drive will not be lowered.

https://www.memorialparkconservancy.org/discover/master-plan/land-bridge-prairie-restoration-project/

https://www.memorialparkconservancy.org/discover/master-plan/ten-year-plan/?location=Land+Bridge+and+Prairie

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

On 8/9/2020 at 4:28 PM, CaptainJilliams said:

From a few days ago, it looks like they will be breaking ground soon on the land bridge! New render I also have not seen yet.

Kind of wish it didn't look like drain culverts coming out but I guess the engineering required it.

• Like 1

@H-Town Man everytime i see that photo i don't think of drains as much as i think about how if they ever need to block it temporarily they can have giant balls that they just roll up to the entrance or enormous corks haha! 

edit to say: 

ps..sorry for saying giant balls on a family forum...

🙈

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Kind of wish it didn't look like drain culverts coming out but I guess the engineering required it.

The simplistic aesthetic design is likely the result of the limited budget rather than any engineering constraints.  Civil engineers and architects can do almost anything given enough money. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EaDo Lou said:

The simplistic aesthetic design is likely the result of the limited budget rather than any engineering constraints.  Civil engineers and architects can do almost anything given enough money. 

I was listening to the memorial park people talk on some interview and it seems like the design is more worried about sustaining the weight of the land mass since they are using soil from the park and growing trees on top of it. A comment on the post said something like "this isn't just a rooftop garden" lol. So it seems like they need incredible support, aka all that concrete looking like drain culverts, to ensure the soil stays in place and the trees can grow. The new expansion is more than I could have imagined, the land bridge is some visionary type stuff that as a person born and raise in houston I could only dream of. 

Looking at those photos, it looks like the Arboretum in some places. So do you just park on the south side of the park and walk over there? 

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 4

that second photo reminds me of a cult...i hope this isn't part of the new master plan 💀

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, gene said:

that second photo reminds me of a cult...i hope this isn't part of the new master plan 💀

Haha what you’re looking at according to the website is 

Memorial Groves

A living memorial to the WWI soldiers who trained at Camp Logan, trees aligned in regiments will shelter gathering spaces for reflection and education among the 100-year-old remnants of the camp.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The trees being in neat rows will make for some good Instagramming. Maybe I can live out my 1995 Mortal Kombat Movie live action battles there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, por favor gracias said:

Love the tree rows in that 2nd picture.

okay you made me just look at that picture one more time to get past my prior Cult comment earlier...that's when i noticed that the sidewalk makes an upside down cross!!! what in tarnation!!!????!!! 👹🤮🙏😲

Just now, gene said:

okay you made me just look at that picture one more time to get past my prior Cult comment earlier...that's when i noticed that the sidewalk makes an upside down cross!!! what in tarnation!!!????!!! 👹🤮🙏😲

Hopefully that's just LSD they're drinking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/1/2020 at 10:41 AM, skooljunkie said:

Arby's FTW

An Arby's would be awesome.  I have to drive all the way to Katy to get a roast beef sandwich now.  😜

• Haha 1