Aris At Market Square: 32-Story High-Rise At 409 Travis St.

Mab

Did they pour any piles?  I'm not sure what else they would be load testing.

Someone put out the Purdue signal.

WTH is this thing?

11a96qc.jpg

You can't tell really, but it is sitting elevated on probably 6' of beams.

http://www.testpile.com/

Looks like they are still testing for the foundation.

That block was dead, yo.

I know.

But, cities are generally loath to close a sidewalk for "no reason". If this is only related to this Hines construction project, what would be the reason? There seems to be no pedestrian safety concern related to the construction. What would be the reason to close the entire block? Just because there are "no" businesses on that block does not mean that a sidewalk can be randomly closed as there is a public conveyance issue.

If there is nothing else going on, I wonder what Hines used as the reason to close the sidewalk to pedestrians (not even cover with a pretective scaffold but, to close)?

Edited by UtterlyUrban

I happened upon Sky House 2 on the Main Street sidewalk a couple weekends ago while they were driving I beam piles and they had the operator stop while I passed by. Market Square may be trying to prevent so many walkers from wandering next to them driving the piling since there are so many restaurants and bars in the area. There were lots of I beams on site when I went by on Sunday, I doubt that work has stopped.

If it's dead already then why would there be a sudden influx of people, who are going to be sorely disappointed, that show up now construction has started and it's just...closed?

Lol, it doesn't sound like you walk.

It's kinda funny.

I think what he means is that a walker walking from point a north of this block to point b south of this block is put in jeopardy by closing off the entire sidewalk because it forces the pedestrian to walk in the street

Did my Vanilla Ice reference go completely unnoticed, or was it just not funny?  I don't typically end sentences with "yo".

Walking downtown these days, you have to plan ahead if you don't want to cross streets and go back again several times.  Maybe the closure is temporary, seems like the kind of thing a permit would have to be obtained to do, so maybe someone could figure that out.

• Like 1

Did my Vanilla Ice reference go completely unnoticed, or was it just not funny? I don't typically end sentences with "yo".

Walking downtown these days, you have to plan ahead if you don't want to cross streets and go back again several times. Maybe the closure is temporary, seems like the kind of thing a permit would have to be obtained to do, so maybe someone could figure that out.

I haven't walked in that area in months so I don't know the feel, but I do have to admit I was wrong though.

I was of the opinion that the street feel of the area won't change that much with addition of this building and one on the lot where International tower is supposed to go, but I was wrong.

They only fenced up some of the street and I wasn't even walking and it made a difference in feel.

another thing I was wrong on is the point of it being a traffic nightmare. Was there around five and it wasn't that bad.

So I was wrong. Partially :P

Did my Vanilla Ice reference go completely unnoticed, or was it just not funny? I don't typically end sentences with "yo".

Walking downtown these days, you have to plan ahead if you don't want to cross streets and go back again several times. Maybe the closure is temporary, seems like the kind of thing a permit would have to be obtained to do, so maybe someone could figure that out.

No, I noticed it and laughed. Just didn't have the like button on my phone.

I apologize nate, I didnt see the purdue signal earlier in the week. ASTM D1143 Static Load testing of Piles. We happen to have the ASTM Standard in our library and read over it (its a slow friday). But I found a digital copy for you online, if you'd like to peruse if youre bored. 

http://www.powerliftfoundation.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/ASTM-D1143.pdf

(PDF warning)

Basically its a Geotechnical Engineering test for Piles. Pretty cool catch on the photograph! 

• Like 1

I'd like to point out since no one else seems to have noticed in Triton's last set of pictures that the garage structure behind Franks and the bank building has been demolished this week and they've been clearing sections of ground. If you recall that space will be the buildings loading dock. I have a top down view from my office but keep forgetting to take pictures. I'll try to remember next week!

• Like 3