One Market Square: Proposed Office Tower For Block 43 - 800 Preston St.

lockmat

d4985cc2a2c05772d38c1ef446140486.jpg

Can't help but notice this last rendering with different designs including one that appears to be downsized (upper right). May be because of the perspective though...

What are the chances a downsized (or cheaper design in case of far left) project could get off the ground?

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 1

52a6ab52b533f9b08752387799ff8ded.jpg

One more thing: Bottom right rendering shows the pedestal for Residences at Market Sq - IIRC the first time this project has referenced it's neighbor going up next door.

Is this a new rendering? (likewise for revisions rendering) Im still under the impression this dead...

• Like 1

Absent strong evidence of this actually going forward, would this topic be more appropriate for a "what if" board? I would also like to dust off discussions of the the old Bank of the Southwest tower in the "Going Up" section, but I just do not think that is in the cards. Of course, I would be delighted to hear indications that this still might actually be going up.

One more thing: Bottom right rendering shows the pedestal for Residences at Market Sq - IIRC the first time this project has referenced it's neighbor going up next door.

Is this a new rendering? (likewise for revisions rendering) Im still under the impression this dead...

I think that's the Chron garage, not the Residences pedestal.  

And SOMEONE'S got to do April Fool's.  :lol:

I think that's the Chron garage, not the Residences pedestal.  

And SOMEONE'S got to do April Fool's.  :lol:

That's definitely not the Chronicle's garage, which is directly behind this site and would not be rendered from this perspective as International Tower would completely block it from view at Market Square. 

Also, note the setback from top of garage to the residential tower above ....no question this is Residences at Mkt Sq rendered.

It may be nothing and this may still be dead - but this also seems to suggest that this may be a new rendering. Why would a dead project have updated renderings from Gensler? 

post-709-0-72314200-1427990954.jpg

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 1

Absent strong evidence of this actually going forward, would this topic be more appropriate for a "what if" board? I would also like to dust off discussions of the the old Bank of the Southwest tower in the "Going Up" section, but I just do not think that is in the cards. Of course, I would be delighted to hear indications that this still might actually be going up.

I only posted the renderings because a few of them are new (to us).  The thread will stay in "Going Up" as this will either come back to life at some point or something else will be proposed for the block.

I only posted the renderings because a few of them are new (to us).  The thread will stay in "Going Up" as this will either come back to life at some point or something else will be proposed for the block.

I agree that it should remain in "Going Up", but I think that there is room for improvement in this forum in how projects are labeled or tagged. Whether it's a separate tag on the side of the thread or expressed in the title some indicators on what stage a project is in (of course to the best of our knowledge) would help a great deal to the curious and general forum lurker. Here are some tags that I would recommend either developed as separate highly visible tags or put in the title of the thread and adjusted as the project evolves.

Possible Tags:

*Rumored* - since we have so many dedicated HAIFers who like to go above and beyond to find new projects, spy various notice of variance requests around town, or have insider info on potential development I think this should be one of the first tags used on any going up thread as a way to differentiate between a project from word of mouth to one actually announced and on it's way into development.

*Announced*  - used as the initial tag for any new thread where a project is first announced either by a architecture firm, developer, real estate firm, city/state/national gov., official organizations, or the press

*In Development* - Another term that might fit here is "Design Development", but "In Development" helps keep the entire design process in a more general setting since we aren't privy to information as far as if they are in Schematic Design, or Design Development, or simply planning. This tag would be used after we start getting more info on what the building will be and start seeing site plans, renderings, etc...

*Under Construction* - this tag would be used the moment we start seeing soil samples, bulldozers/boots on the ground, or a ground breaking ceremony taking place. This tag means that the project is under construction and is on it's way to being completed.

*On Hold* - one of the tags listed here that no one wants to see, but happens because it's the nature of the business. This tag would be used once we have official word a project is on hold or there has been a significant amount of time since original development cycle.

*Canceled* - the dreaded tag we hope never graces any thread, Canceled (I also thought about the tag simply saying "Dead" but that might be a little harsh). This tag is for when the project is officially canceled via word from developers, architects, or the press themselves or if someone has reliable info about a projects impending cancellation, but like the announcement tag this one should be limited only if it's from an official source.

*Completed* - Yaaa the project is finally completed. Congrats, now it can proudly wear this tag with honor.

In conclusion I hope that something like this would be something to seriously consider for this forum as it could help clear up a lot of confusion. The majority of people who look into these threads are Lay-people and I know this could help out their understanding a lot about what stage each project is on, but even us who are in the industry would certainly appreciate this kind of organization as well. Just some thoughts especially when you recently posting a lot of these renderings that are, while cool to see, do add a little bit to the confusion on whether a project is actually happening, dead, or in development. It's adds more context to those images posted.

• Like 6

That's definitely not the Chronicle's garage, which is directly behind this site and would not be rendered from this perspective as International Tower would completely block it from view at Market Square. 

Also, note the setback from top of garage to the residential tower above ....no question this is Residences at Mkt Sq rendered.

It may be nothing and this may still be dead - but this also seems to suggest that this may be a new rendering. Why would a dead project have updated renderings from Gensler? 

My mistake, you're right about the Hines project now being in there - I got too hung up on the idea of looking at the bottom right. 

• Like 1

It's so depressing looking at these renderings lol... I mean think about how massive an impact this would have on our skyline... so gorgeous!

I wouldn't worry. We are in Houston.. we'll get plenty more skyscrapers in the decades to come, ones far more impressive than this tower. This city just has so much potential, I think that's why I come to this forum so often... to see the ever growing changes coming our way. Sure, there will be slowdowns as there always have been, but this city just grows more and more impressive all the time.

• Like 7

honestly this little slow down will be a blessing in disguise. I think we were building a little too quickly and I think this gives the city time to catch up a little bit. There are of course going to be some casualties (namely this tower as well as others), but it just means there will be better ones to follow.

• Like 4

It's so depressing looking at these renderings lol... I mean think about how massive an impact this would have on our skyline... so gorgeous!

I wouldn't worry. We are in Houston.. we'll get plenty more skyscrapers in the decades to come, ones far more impressive than this tower. This city just has so much potential, I think that's why I come to this forum so often... to see the ever growing changes coming our way. Sure, there will be slowdowns as there always have been, but this city just grows more and more impressive all the time.

I would agree with Triton - DT Houston will be fine. Prime example: 10 years ago, Block 69 was once earmarked for a residential highrise called "Shamrock Tower" by Tracy Suttles. The project eventually stalled and died.

Going up here now: Hines' 609 Main - Id say we're all happy with the end result. 

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

I hate to be a killjoy... this tower may go up *somewhere* in downtown at some point, but I have on very good authority this won't be happening on this particular lot.

Welcome to the Forum, thank you for the pictures, and care to spill any beans of what might go on this lot if anything?

If it goes on another lot in downtown then that means it's a lot owned by Linbeck, right?

Do you know why they would build it on another lot as opposed to this one? Gonna build on a cheaper block for bigger returns?

• Like 1

I'll predict it's going residential. Too much new development here for the developers to miss out. Factor in Mkt Sq and all the bars & restaurants. Once MST & Hines are complete, this could become a trendy area. Residential here just makes too much sense, especially if you can't secure a tenant for a planned commercial space.

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 3

If it goes on another lot in downtown then that means it's a lot owned by Linbeck, right?

Do you know why they would build it on another lot as opposed to this one? Gonna build on a cheaper block for bigger returns?

Oh no, that was speculation. They have a concept developed, its pretty, I just hope it won't die and they'll find somewhere to put it. I can damn near guarantee it won't be going on the other lot you refer to either.

This might be a good site for a mixed use tower wouldn't it?

Right next a park that all three types of patrons would appreciate and benefit from and its on the cusp of the business offices, too. The hotel could be a business/casual one. What brands are those?

• Like 1