The flier says something like 'unparalleled tunnel access.'

You're right.  I wonder what that means. 

Is it possible that Hines is leaking the plans for this building to get a leg up on potentially competing projects for the Capitol Tower (Houston Club Block) and Linbeck on Market Square? 

Note merged topics.

The address of 609 Main makes me think they are leaving room for ground floor retail, otherwise why not just name it 601 Main?

I count 51 floors from bottom to top; that's assuming the top levels are occupied though.

This won't be the greatest design Hines has ever done in Houston, and probably won't crack the top five, but it's better than what's there now.

I count 51 floors from bottom to top; that's assuming the top levels are occupied though.

Well I certainly hope it's taller but as the renderings show, I believe it really is 41 floors in its current form. Again, if you look closely right above the 41st floor, the windows become more transparent. Even the office lights end about 7 stories from the very top. 

Are you referring to the Hines or the Chevron tower?

Chevron.

The only thing I know about the Hines Tower, is that there are 3 different tenants looking for half a million square feet (each) of Class A space in downtown, and Hines is in a race to supply space to one of them. Of course, that didn't come from Hines directly, so it's probably more speculation than anything.

Edited by hoothrewpoo
  • Like 1

Chevron.

The only thing I know about the Hines Tower, is that there are 3 different tenants looking for half a million square feet (each) of Class A space in downtown, and Hines is in a race to supply space to one of them. Of course, that didn't come from Hines directly, so it's probably more speculation than anything.

You would think all this so called demand would light a fire under them... Some of these companies have had plans on the board for years and yet they still seem to drag their feet. 

Edited by Moore713
  • Like 1

I guess that with the new Hines development, they'll finally tear down the old Sterling building.

I was under the impression not.  The old Shamrock Tower proposal for the site only utilized 3/4 of the block, and there hasn't been any news that I've heard about the remaining quarter block with the Sterling Building changing hands.  

It wouldn't be a big loss though.  I don't think there is much of a preservationist argument to keep it.

I guess that with the new Hines development, they'll finally tear down the old Sterling Bank building.

I think it was formerly the Sterling Building, not Sterling Bank Building.   My impression from the renderings is that the building will go.  How pathetic is it that none of the traditional journalists in town have even thought to ask the question?

The article mentioned that Hines owned the entire block, so I was wrong that the remaining quarter block hadn't been sold.  Generally I would be all for preservation, but the art deco detailing of the Sterling Building was chopped off years ago, the quarter-block footprint would be considered insufficient now, and it has been vacant for decades.  Demolition would be for the best. 

Wtf!? Wow so now we got the new residential tower in south downtown, the new convention center hotel, and now this, and we can def expect a tower on the Macys site and Houston Club site in the next couple of yrs. Our skyline is not going to be the same! Plus with added residential Houston is going to have the bustling, retail filled downtown we've been wanting! PROUD TO BE FROM H-TOWN!

• Like 1

Wtf!? Wow so now we got the new residential tower in south downtown, the new convention center hotel, and now this, and we can def expect a tower on the Macys site and Houston Club site in the next couple of yrs. Our skyline is not going to be the same! Plus with added residential Houston is going to have the bustling, retail filled downtown we've been wanting! PROUD TO BE FROM H-TOWN!

Not to be a downer but our skyline probably will be the same. It's going to take something pretty bold/pointy and away from the main cluster of massive buildings to make a big visual change on the skyline. But as long as things keep happening, shine on!

Not to be a downer but our skyline probably will be the same. It's going to take something pretty bold/pointy and away from the main cluster of massive buildings to make a big visual change on the skyline. But as long as things keep happening, shine on!

Nonsense.  Every new tower adds to the skyline.  

• Like 2

Agree, every new building changes the skyline just a little more. I mean I understand what you mean, it would take something very very original to notice a difference, like an observation deck tower or some massive pointy structure. Either way the density of our downtown and the sheer structure size of everything is about to change.

• 2 weeks later...