I was reading a blog post about downtown developments and had come across this part of the post.

Chevron just announced the coming construction of a new 50-story tower, which would be the 2nd tallest construction project in Texas since the 80s. And that's not even the half of it... Hines is set to announce a even taller skyscraper than Chevron in the near future.

Will someone shed light on this?

http://texasleftist.blogspot.com/2013/07/downtown-houstons-construction-boom.htmlhttp://texasleftist.blogspot.com/2013/07/downtown-houstons-construction-boom.html

I was reading a blog post about downtown developments and had come across this part of the post.

http://texasleftist.blogspot.com/2013/07/downtown-houstons-construction-boom.htmlhttp://texasleftist.blogspot.com/2013/07/downtown-houstons-construction-boom.html

The blog author is on HAIF, hopefully he'll clarify here.

The Texas Leftist is a blog that is actually operated by one of the members of this forum.  I think he is talking about the Hines after it was announced that it would be taller than 50 stories with the crown but I think Chevron and 609 Main will be just about even when you consider the base of the Chevron tower.  This doesn't have anything to do with the rumors going around about the 102 story tower. 

• Like 2

The Texas Leftist is a blog that is actually operated by one of the members of this forum.  I think he is talking about the Hines after it was announced that it would be taller than 50 stories with the crown but I think Chevron and 609 Main will be just about even when you consider the base of the Chevron tower.  This doesn't have anything to do with the rumors going around about the 102 story tower. 

interesting article. im sure he is talking about the Hines redevelopment too (but hes assuming the Chevron tower will only be 50 stories, not sitting on top of a podium making the tower closer in height to a 58 story building). the crown will make Hines taller than 50 stories, but the podium will make Chevron taller than Hines. im thinking ~800', but im no expert.

as for the rumors. someone replied to a post of mine once mentioning Hines owning a plot located in an area that allowed/was basically designated for a supertall? anyone have any idea what lot this would be?

interesting article. im sure he is talking about the Hines redevelopment too (but hes assuming the Chevron tower will only be 50 stories, not sitting on top of a podium making the tower closer in height to a 58 story building). the crown will make Hines taller than 50 stories, but the podium will make Chevron taller than Hines. im thinking ~800', but im no expert.

as for the rumors. someone replied to a post of mine once mentioning Hines owning a plot located in an area that allowed/was basically designated for a supertall? anyone have any idea what lot this would be?

Could it be the 102?

Something like this does not make sense in Houston. Supertalls (and anything else actually) are allowed anywhere in Houston - except for deed-restricted developments. Land is not designated for any uses or density...that would be called the z word.

Something like this does not make sense in Houston. Supertalls (and anything else actually) are allowed anywhere in Houston - except for deed-restricted developments. Land is not designated for any uses or density...that would be called the z word.

thats what i was thinking, but i couldnt ever get a response back from the person. i guess it was more out of the designated flight paths than anything.

I'm Texas Leftist

Yes I was referring to 609 Main, given that we don't have an official height for it yet. 

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/realestate/07-08-13-houstons-next-great-skyscraper-hines-to-texas-size-new-main-street-office-tower-speed-up-development/

I just wrote a simple blog post outlining the totality of construction... didn't expect to set off a new rumor mill! 

Edited by totheskies
  • Like 2

Haha, no worries. So you don't think the 757' 49 story floor plans posted by lockmat are official?

I guess we all have different ways of measuring height.  The height of the Hines building hasn't been confirmed, and who knows if Chevron doesn't decide to slap an antenna or something on theirs, but my understanding is that the crown will be taller than Chevron's building, and by that reasoning the crown is part of the building. 

Of course we also know that total building height and number of floors don't necessarily correlate either.  A 40-story building could be taller than a 50-story one (office vs residential, etc.), so those are also factors to take into account. 

I'll have to revisit the thread, but lockmat posted the square footage and assumed number of stories, correct?  He didn't post the height. 

But I get y'all's point... when talking about Chevron I referred to stories, but then with Hines I referred to height (which was on purpose to keep the post very generalized). 

I guess we all have different ways of measuring height. The height of the Hines building hasn't been confirmed, and who knows if Chevron doesn't decide to slap an antenna or something on theirs, but my understanding is that the crown will be taller than Chevron's building, and by that reasoning the crown is part of the building.

Of course we also know that total building height and number of floors don't necessarily correlate either. A 40-story building could be taller than a 50-story one (office vs residential, etc.), so those are also factors to take into account.

I'll have to revisit the thread, but lockmat posted the square footage and assumed number of stories, correct? He didn't post the height.

But I get y'all's point... when talking about Chevron I referred to stories, but then with Hines I referred to height (which was on purpose to keep the post very generalized).

I posted some drawings I received that showed its height.

Oh I forgot we have 2 threads on this. That's probably why tothesky didn't notice the new renderings. And nativehoustonion.. It's 756'9".. Totally 757'.. That extra foot matters! Heh.

I agree tangledwoods. Chevron will be prob be at least 800'. I factored the height to floor ratios and 800' would put a 58 floor equivalent building (what the Chevron rendering shows) at less than 13.8' per floor.

Oh I forgot we have 2 threads on this. That's probably why tothesky didn't notice the new renderings. And nativehoustonion.. It's 756'9".. Totally 757'.. That extra foot matters! Heh.

I agree tangledwoods. Chevron will be prob be at least 800'. I factored the height to floor ratios and 800' would put a 58 floor equivalent building (what the Chevron rendering shows) at less than 13.8' per floor.

Can somebody merge both threads?

After watching what happened in the late 70's early 80's with the downtown building boom, and hearing reports of a similar

building spurt I really think the speculative talk about supertall skyscrapers,and the supersizing of proposed buildings is a little

naive. Sure I would love to see a really well designed 80 story building on the vacant lot on Milam in the heart of town which once was the proposed site of the Southwest Tower competition.

Realistically, I don't think that is going to happen. Developers are more conservative now and the city has developed too many other areas, the Galleria, Energy Corridor, the Woodlands, to name a few, that have taken up much of the sq. ftage. and the excitement of building everything downtown.

My hope is that the Chevron Tower, the Skanksa Building, the Marriot Marquis, and possibly the Hines or Linbeck properties are developed along with the Hines Market Square condo tower, joining the already in progress  Finger condos at Minute Maid and the sky space tower across from the Houston House. Throw in the other smaller convention center hotels and HSPVA, and I think everyone should be very excited about this cycle of downtown development.

Realistically, I don't think that is going to happen. Developers are more conservative now and the city has developed too many other areas, the Galleria, Energy Corridor, the Woodlands, to name a few, that have taken up much of the sq. ftage. and the excitement of building everything downtown.

Agreed. I think the next 1.5 - 2 million square feet of absorption (in addition to those already announced/speculated on this forum) will come in the Energy Corridor. Downtown is a great place to be... if you want/can afford to pay $35/ft NNN, and $200/month for parking. Energy corridor offers the same shiny Class A space, admittedly without all that downtown has to offer, for closer to $28/ft NNN - with free parking. Makes too much sense for corporations looking to absorb MAJOR square footage to look in markets outside of downtown. 

Back on topic - who's going to occupy this building? There's probably 3-4 major tenants looking for space, and as far as I know, none of them are looking downtown.

Agreed. I think the next 1.5 - 2 million square feet of absorption (in addition to those already announced/speculated on this forum) will come in the Energy Corridor. Downtown is a great place to be... if you want/can afford to pay $35/ft NNN, and $200/month for parking. Energy corridor offers the same shiny Class A space, admittedly without all that downtown has to offer, for closer to $28/ft NNN - with free parking. Makes too much sense for corporations looking to absorb MAJOR square footage to look in markets outside of downtown.

Back on topic - who's going to occupy this building? There's probably 3-4 major tenants looking for space, and as far as I know, none of them are looking downtown.

What happened to all the demand that supposedly brought about all these downtown proposals and renderings?

The Energy Corridor has great growth now, but I feel like future mobility problems could hamper growth in the future. They really only have 1 major thoroughfare, I10, and besides a car sharing program or two they haven't really invested in any other methods of transportation. What happens when the next wave of 3-5 Mil sq ft of office space is delivered? Possibly widen I10 some more? I'm sure they could implement buses quickly but that doesn't seem much of a solution when the streets are clogged. Then again, The Galleria seems to have much greater transportation challenges and developers are still cramming buildings in there.

What happened to all the demand that supposedly brought about all these downtown proposals and renderings?

there's a ton of demand. Off of the top of my head, I can think of 2 million square feet of space that WILL be taken in the next 6-12 months (in big chunks). There's probably a whole lot more than that. Developers wouldn't build if the demand weren't there (CBD)... I just don't know currently who's demanding it. My guess is Linn Energy make a play for one of the new buildings downtown as an anchor in the next couple of years. Pure speculation though.

• Like 1

there's a ton of demand. Off of the top of my head, I can think of 2 million square feet of space that WILL be taken in the next 6-12 months (in big chunks). There's probably a whole lot more than that. Developers wouldn't build if the demand weren't there (CBD)... I just don't know currently who's demanding it. My guess is Linn Energy make a play for one of the new buildings downtown as an anchor in the next couple of years. Pure speculation though.

Exciting stuff.  That bodes well for getting at least 2 of the proposed downtown towers under way, I would think.

I think I'm misunderstanding or I'm just dense. If the 3-4 tenants that you know of are looking for space are looking in the energy corridor, how is there also demand downtown?

Thanks