Sign in to follow this  
arrodiii

Cash Incentives to live downtown?

Ok, this isn't happening in Houston, for residents at least, though it seems as though Detroit is starting a cash incentive program to get people to move downtown.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/07/25/program-offers-cash-incentives-to-live-downtown/

I am wondering what you all think about this? If Houston were to implement a program similar to this, do you think the city, and Downtown especially, wpi;d reap any benefits from this? If so, what? If you don't already live here, would you consider it because of the cash?

To my knowledge, downtown Houston does not have an abundance of available living space. Also, downtown can be quite expensive.

I don't think we're in quite the same situation as Detroit. Part of Downtown's problem is simply lack of housing stock. I would love to live downtown, particularly once Phoenicia opens, but there just isn't anywhere for me to live. The Downtown infrastructure is improving steadily, and the additional light rail lines will help minimize some of the compromises involved in living there, so I hope a wider range of housing will start going up. One Park Place is a nice start, but there needs to be a broad range of options including stuff that might be affordable for students. There is so much vacant land still that I wouldn't even object to townhouses in the southeast corner.

Yes, I live downtown, send me money.

Great incentive, to offset parking fees.