GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Can any one tell me why EDI is looked at so unfavorably? Other then how ugly the back end of The Mercer Condominiums is. I just hope some of the cool architecture features don't get washed out of the plans. From what i can see from the pictures the facade of the building will be pleaseing to the eye if not too ornate. at least it looks like it will be aestheticly desirable.

eelimon, have you seen the Laguarda Low design? Have you compared the two?

I think mediocre is the perfect word to describe what they have done in Houston so far. The Mercer alone has turned out to be a HORRENDOUS SCAR on the city skyline. So much so that channel 11 actually did a news story on the building's appearance. Many people have called the office to find out if the building could be made to appear better. Some were even afraid to even go in to enquire about a condo there simply because of it's appearance. IMO, any firm that could make such a huge asthetic blunder, should be in remedial design school, let alone designing something with such city changing potential as the Houston Pavillion. Take a look at their site and browse through the projects on the board they have for Houston. They are all just blah, imo.

Houston, for once in recent history, let's do something with a little class instead of seeking out something soley based upon how cheap it can be done. This is a grand opportunity here, let's not screw it up with a design from a company that has a blazing track record of designs that are mediocre at best.

Can someone investigate this whole thing to see if EDI will be responsible for this new Houston Landmark?

Hey Redscare, do you see why I'm so brow beaten? This is another opportunity that our fair city could screw up. Let us all hope there is another reason EDI has the Pavillion on it's site and the actual design to be used is the one Laguarda Low released.

I will be happy when these people get to go back home to New Orleans and Houston gets back to normal. And when HAIF gets back to normal.

Oh, my! You're young, aren't you?

Things happen, and the world is never 'normal' again. Change is relentless. I'm only (!) 48, and I'll say with confidence that the effects of Katrina will have longer-lasting consequences than Brittney's last marriage, or this week's popular nightclub. Please understand; this is huge. Bigger than Tom Cruise coming out, huge. As in, even the grown-ups don't know what's going to happen next.

My parents lived through the Great Depression. I've lived through stagflation (google it) and waiting in line to get gasoline. You might see things you haven't yet imagined. We'll live through it. But don't ever think things will 'get back to normal'. They'll change; you'll adapt.

There is no normal. How boring, if there was.

^^

I'm quite aware of stagflation and the great depression. When I reference normal, I'm refering to when the Katrina news story dies off. It will, news organizatino can't keep this story going for too long. As soon as recovery started after Huricane Andrew and the Huricanes last year, the news crews pull out and we heard nothing.

Surprisingly, things are already starting to normalize. The oil pipelines are already functioning and nearing capacity. Several refineries are back online. The oil platform that excepts oil from ships to send to the refineries along the river is back in operation also. Gas prices are starting to lower to just above previouse highs. That news story died out.

The levees that needed fixing are fixed and the water is being lowered. As soon as the real cleanup begins the news people will vanish. Yes, they'll do some stories of how bad some things look and the hiddend dead bodies in houses, but that won't last long.

As soon as the news pulls out, much of America will put this thing behind them until some report in the future talking about government investagation results and the port of New Orleans opening. I'm already seeing news crews slowly adding in more none Katrina news to the mix.

Anyway, the EDI design is what's on the Pavillions home page. It doesn't look that bad. The Mercer wasn't perfect, but some of the design was at the request of the developer. Architects not only design what they like, but what the client wants.

I like those pics of the Pavillions.

eelimon, have you seen the Laguarda Low design? Have you compared the two?

The Mercer alone has turned out to be a HORRENDOUS SCAR on the city skyline. So much so that channel 11 actually did a news story on the building's appearance.

I see what you are talking about now after i looked and compared darn

I can't believe that they did a news story (channel 11)

Have you ever been to the mall in downtown San Diego it looks like and awesome puzzle of walkways and different landings decorated with Spanish tile and some Islamic motifs.

Are we on page nine on this thread Yet?

Yeah,

there combined resumes to impress a client to pick them.

We do it in the engineering world all the time. We'll get a geotech firm, a structural firm, and a traffic firm to join us on a team to submit our qualifications to say TxDOT or Harris County. If it looks good enough to them, they'll pick us for the project. This is a little oversimplified, but the gist of the situation.