Lyric Center Building & Market At 440 Louisiana St.

Guest gcbrewer2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Maybe this has already been reported here, but I was told today that of the 31,000 SF of retail space there will be two restaurants (one high-end and one more americana) and  a food market with about 18-20 different food vendors.  There will be some additional space, but these seem to be certain.  I think the food market will do really well in this area.  Construction start is 8/16 with estimated completion 4Q 2017.

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
On 5/5/2016 at 9:36 PM, CREguy13 said:

Maybe this has already been reported here, but I was told today that of the 31,000 SF of retail space there will be two restaurants (one high-end and one more americana) and  a food market with about 18-20 different food vendors.  There will be some additional space, but these seem to be certain.  I think the food market will do really well in this area.  Construction start is 8/16 with estimated completion 4Q 2017.

I feel like there is no chance an 8/16 start date is going to happen... They got Hines involved and its out for bid right now. I can't remember when they said it was due it, but those things are going to take more than two weeks from now to shake out.

51 minutes ago, amashgo said:

I feel like there is no chance an 8/16 start date is going to happen... They got Hines involved and its out for bid right now. I can't remember when they said it was due it, but those things are going to take more than two weeks from now to shake out.

I think they meant August, 2016, not August 16th.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2015 at 2:24 PM, Urbannizer said:

One of the greatest ironies of downtown Houston is that it has largely been the parking garages that have brought ground floor retail and street presence to the landscape, while the buildings they support have largely remained cold sculptures connected by skybridges and tunnels. One typically thinks of the parking garage as anathema to the urban landscape.

• Like 2

That's giving a *lot* of credit to parking garages, and it's really only true of a few of them. It's more true really of towers with integrated parking garage bases than of standalone or after-the-fact garages. 

And of course, the best street presence downtown is Main Street, largely because it has the largest collection of historic buildings with street-facing storefronts. Even the newer buildings either have integrated garages or, like the Skyhausen, pushed their garages to the back. The only exception I can think of is the standalone garage at Main and Rusk.

Edited by Texasota
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Texasota said:

That's giving a *lot* of credit to parking garages, and it's really only true of a few of them. It's more true really of towers with integrated parking garage bases than of standalone or after-the-fact garages. 

And of course, the best street presence downtown is Main Street, largely because it has the largest collection of historic buildings with street-facing storefronts. Even the newer buildings either have integrated garages or, like the Skyhausen, pushed their garages to the back. The only exception I can think of is the standalone garage at Main and Rusk.

Don't read too much into it, Texasota, the post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I was actually thinking of some of the integrated garages, as with 609 Main, Hilcorp, or separate-but-integrated garages like 601 Travis. But I don't see why an integrated garage shouldn't count, because the fact remains that the developer didn't want GFR cluttering up their handsome tower, but did not mind putting it in the garage and seeing what rents it could get. I agree that the best pedestrian presence is on Main Street, but is that because of the historic buildings, or because it has so many parking garages with GFR - or both? Bottom line, parking garages are carrying a lot of the weight of downtown's emerging retail scene, and perhaps even have the majority of new construction GFR downtown.

(Disclaimer: I actually am one of those who think parking garages are anathema to the urban landscape, hence the irony.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/bizfeed/article/Work-begins-on-eight-level-parking-garage-for-10629979.php?t=fb6979fd1d438d9cbb&cmpid=twitter-premium

Crews have broken ground at the site of a new 810-vehicle parking garage that will connect the Lyric Centre and the Alley Theatre Center in downtown Houston. Upon completion, the 327,315-square-foot parking structure will be eight stories, with ground-level space for restaurants, according to Rhode Island-based Gilbane Building Co., which is working on the project for Houston developer Hines.

Plans are to renovate the plaza and sidewalks to add outdoor seating. A tunnel under Prairie Street will connect the Lyric Centre to the basement level of the Alley Theatre.

• Like 4

Normally I'd sigh loudly about the trees... but what rocket scientist* thought that sycamores would make good street trees?  Their fall leaves are like catcher's mitts, and they drop pods that are the size and weight of softballs.

(*perhaps it was a rocket scientist, since it's more of a horticulturalist's job to know these things)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, mollusk said:

Normally I'd sigh loudly about the trees... but what rocket scientist* thought that sycamores would make good street trees?  Their fall leaves are like catcher's mitts, and they drop pods that are the size and weight of softballs.

(*perhaps it was a rocket scientist, since it's more of a horticulturalist's job to know these things)

Sycamores are great street trees

• Like 5