Houston Museum Of Natural Science At 5555 Hermann Park Dr.

• 2 months later...

In 2000, I visited the Museum for the first time. It was a cool experience...I remember the Planetarium was showing "Where in the Universe is Carmen Sandiego" and the McDonald's was pretty cool. It was unlike any McD's I had seen. For one thing, the restaurant offered snowcones, but what I'm trying to recall is that it had some science-themed combo meals (like a "Mars" themed meal). Unfortunately, the next time I managed to get back to it was in 2007, and it had been gutted and changed since then (to a fairly non-descript McD's). I'm really trying to remember those meals...as I never had them. Can anyone help? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Help!

Edited by IronTiger

In 2000, I visited the Museum for the first time. It was a cool experience...I remember the Planetarium was showing "Where in the Universe is Carmen Sandiego" and the McDonald's was pretty cool. It was unlike any McD's I had seen. For one thing, the restaurant offered snowcones, but what I'm trying to recall is that it had some science-themed combo meals (like a "Mars" themed meal). Unfortunately, the next time I managed to get back to it was in 2007, and it had been gutted and changed since then (to a fairly non-descript McD's). I'm really trying to remember those meals...as I never had them. Can anyone help? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Help!

Sorry ... can't help. Haven't been to that museum since I was a child.

• 3 months later...

I went to the number 2 a while back. It was one of the "last" showings, and was packed. It was amazing, very interesting. The birds hanging would occasionally flake off some of their stuff on the floor. A bit disturbing, but makes you appreciate your body and what it does. Not as inspiring as Lucy, but I would suggest seeing this atleast once in your life.

But try and go during the week, or when it's less busy. I got frustrated with people taking their sweet time reading a paragraph/looking at one piece and blocking it for an hour.

I always thought it was weird how the interactive "family" kid thing was tucked away. I think it's kinda dumb to name it a "family" wing. Isn't the whole Museum family friendly? I guess not the Body Worlds... And won't this be taking away from the Children's Museum?

Sorry, enough bitching. The design looks great. The empty spot where this is planned looks smaller in person. The second renderings make the seemingly 2 story structure look bigger compared with the butterfly structure.

• Like 1

Sorry, enough bitching. The design looks great. The empty spot where this is planned looks smaller in person. The second renderings make the seemingly 2 story structure look bigger compared with the butterfly structure.

The article says it will be 4 stories.

The only sad part is some of the trees that will have to go, but it will be worth it to see an expanded museum. I live nearby and bike past the museum every day on my way to Rice and the Medical Center, so I'm looking forward to seeing this go up. I guess there is no estimated time frame though because they still haven't secured the funding, right?

Edited by Jax
  • Like 1

The article says it will be 4 stories.

The only sad part is some of the trees that will have to go, but it will be worth it to see an expanded museum. I live nearby and bike past the museum every day on my way to Rice and the Medical Center, so I'm looking forward to seeing this go up. I guess there is no estimated time frame though because they still haven't secured the funding, right?

Well I never thought the landscaping on that side was terrific. The oaks & lawn on the "front" (west), side are a lot better. Glad to see they're doing something with the ugly side.

Maybe it's not the Duncan Family Wing but the Duncan Family Wing, meaning it was offered by the Duncan family. Know any wealthy Duncans?

Don't know. The article talks about classrooms & school children.

Wish my school had more field trips. I don't think I had any, except in Scotland. We saw Sesame Street live, walked through a forest, and went to a castle.

The only school gathering outside school (not including sporting or group/club events) here in the US was a 5th grade roller rink party. I spranged my ankle...

Is it only KISD that doesn't do field trips? What schools field trip to the Museum?

• Like 1

I live in the museum district and most weekdays there are always lots of HISD and other ISD busses parked out near the health science museum loading and unloading kids. I have no idea what schools or grades but daily there are at least 6-7 busses out there. And on my bike ride to Rice I always see more busses near the natural science museum as well.

• Like 1

definitely not dan duncan.

Why not?

In fact, the new wing is named for the Dan Duncan Family, and it is indeed the Duncan Family Wing.

They have been major contributors to the HMNS for some time and I'm pretty sure he has also served on the board.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

I always thought it was weird how the interactive "family" kid thing was tucked away. I think it's kinda dumb to name it a "family" wing. Isn't the whole Museum family friendly? I guess not the Body Worlds... And won't this be taking away from the Children's Museum?

In my first post, it said something about that the museum was only built for 200,000 student to visit every year. Today over 500,000 students visit, so it might be that they didn't have enough classrooms or learning centers. That might be the reason for it being a family wing? but my guess is that its because of the Duncan Family.

• Like 1

I visited the Houston Museum of Natural Science and took pictures on one of the worst days possible, but since i don't visit that area often, i decided to take pictures. Just watch out for the occasional blurry picture, and off-angled picture

HMNS

SL388659.jpg

SL388660.jpg

SL388667.jpg

Sam Houston Statue/ Views from

SL388670.jpg

SL388672.jpg

SL388662.jpg

SL388664.jpg

Edited by citizen4rmptown

This is good. I remember this museum being super packed on my field trip days. I then remember eating my Lunchables on the lawn/pond/benches just outside the museum and feeding some to the birds. Good time, good times.

Maybe it's not the Duncan Family Wing but the Duncan Family Wing, meaning it was offered by the Duncan family. Know any wealthy Duncans?

Tim%20Duncan.jpg

Tim Duncan.

Edited by Trae
  • Like 1

I don't see any timelines...? Are they going to have to raise all the money before they get started (cuz it's going to be tough in this climate)?

Im guessing so, when i went yesterday it had little donation booths about the museum's second century , and i'm pretty sure the donation booth had a picture of the duncan family wing.

• Like 1