Houston Museum Of Natural Science At 5555 Hermann Park Dr.

This one is great. I love the spread of the wings and the reflection in the water.

yeah i'm really proud of this one, probably my best animal photography image,ever

it was perfect timing , the duck kept following me around as if i had bread, but i

shooed it off, and it decided to go into the lake. and that's when i took the picture

Nice pics! I've been wanting to get over there. This week would be nice, but it'll probably be very crowded on account of spring break. I've said it before, that's my favorite area of Houston. I just love Hermann Park/museum disctrict/Houston Zoo, med center/Rice.

Love the baby ducks! Nothing cuter than baby ducks.

All of the pics were great I liked these two alot. I might be a little wierd but I like what it looks like when it is dreary and cloudy outside. And I like when it rains.

thanks, the majority of the reasons i dont like rainy/cloudy days is because in an area like the museum district/hermann park/ect theres alot of things in the background that would be more clearer to see if it werent so cloudy.

for example,

SL388662.jpg

if it were less cloudy you would be able to see the tower clearer

I've noticed that all week there have been huge traffic jams on Hermann Circle Drive and Golf Course Drive in the park, there have been traffic cops directing traffic on Binz and Hermann Drive, and just lots of people walking around and lots of people in the parks and at the museums. I've lived here for 2 years and I've never seen the neighborhood so busy, even on free museum days. Yesterday there was a huge line up around the block at the Children's Museum!

I was just wondering if anybody knows what is going on. Was there anything special happening this week, or are people just enjoying the nice weather?

I love living here and being able to walk around an active neighborhood where there are actually other people walking and enjoying themselves! I love the museum district!

I noticed the same thing too - we attempted to park at the rodeo the other night and when we learned that all of the cash parking was full we decided to drive to our church and park there and take the train. Traffic on main was backed up all the way from Holcombe hrough the fountains and past the museum. Binz and San Jacinto were also just as bad. The presence of the traffic cops made me think that maybe there was a VIP motorcade somewhere in the area that was holding up traffic. That it was going on all week is surprising.

BTW - taking the train worked out to be a better decision than parking. We were on the freeway home in the amount of time that it would have taken us to just get out of the parking lot in previous years.

Spring break + good weather (for Houston) = lots of kids, families, and other people out and about at Hermann Park and the museums!

The newest addition to the Children's Museum is AWESOME, by the way. Can't wait to see what's in store for the HMNS.

haha!

It could have been as simple as the new Children's Museum stuff opening, but the traffic cops and all that made me think it was something more. There was no construction in the hood that I could see. Luckily I ride my bike most of the time, so I can just go onto the sidewalks when the traffic is crazy, or the paths through Hermann Park (I know I'm a bad ass riding on sidewalks).

The new taqueria on Caroline must have been doing well last week with the increased traffic.

I was thinking maybe there was a grand opening for the new additions to Hermann Park or something too? I read that the construction was finishing in March and it looked like there were people walking around at the side of the lake that used to be closed. Something like that could explain the crazy traffic, especially if there was free food :) but really I have no idea. If it's not open yet, does anybody know when it will be? Is it on schedule?

I was thinking maybe there was a grand opening for the new additions to Hermann Park or something too? I read that the construction was finishing in March and it looked like there were people walking around at the side of the lake that used to be closed. Something like that could explain the crazy traffic, especially if there was free food :) but really I have no idea. If it's not open yet, does anybody know when it will be? Is it on schedule?

I walked around Hermann Park on Monday. Much of the construction near the zoo was finished, but they were still working on a bridge over a small portion of the lake as well as some of the new buildings.

I'm pleasantly surprised though -- the new buildings fit in better with the look of the Miller Outdoor Theater. Overall, the improvements look great (and much better than I expected or feared).

I walked the dogs thru there on thursday and it was a madhouse (in a nice way since I love people using public spaces). I assumed it was just for Spring Break.

Hermann Park is an AMAZING park. The changes they've made over the last few years have been a huge improvement. I especially love the "natural" reflection pool compared to the skanky old one...

I guess that would make sense, sort of. Kids are out of school but parent's aren't out of work so it's still hard to figure out how so many families are all taking the day off in the middle of the week and enjoying the park. Miller Outdoor Theater is still closed for renovations so that wouldn't help explain the traffic either - although it looks like it will be open again on the 25th.

Does anybody know when all of the new park renovations are scheduled to be complete? I imagine there will be a grand opening celebration at some point.

I guess that would make sense, sort of. Kids are out of school but parent's aren't out of work so it's still hard to figure out how so many families are all taking the day off in the middle of the week and enjoying the park.

most jobs offer vacation.

Lake Plaza Grand Opening

When: Saturday, April 18, 2009

Where: Lake Plaza in Hermann Park

Details: Be a part of this momentous occasion! Board the train at the new Kinder Station, check out the view from The Tiffany & Co. Foundation Bridge, and explore other exciting additions to the Park that this public celebration. Open to all; bring family and friends!

Contact: Please contact Veronica Juarez at vjuarez@hermannpark.org or 713.524.5876 ext.333 with any questions.

The Tiffany & Co. Foundation Bridge Dedication

When: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 10:30 a.m.

Where: Lake Plaza in Hermann Park

Details: Join us for the dedication of the much-anticipated Tiffany & Co. Foundation Bridge in Lake Plaza. Fernanda Kellogg, president of The Tiffany & Co. Foundation will be present, along with Conservancy board members and special guests. This event is open to the public.

Contact: Please contact Meghan Miller at mmiller@hermannpark.org or 713.524.5876 ext.339 with any questions regarding this event.

Yup, spring break, took my kids to HMNS and Children's Museum. It was crazy! Took 30 minutes just to find parking! But had a great time, weather was perfect and we also went to Herman Park and just soaked up the scenery. HMNS needs to hurry up and start that expansion because they could really use it! Still the kids had a great time, they're used to being around crowds, like at school.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...