METRORail Green Line

Guest danax

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.constructionbusinessowner.com/news/mccarthy-breaks-ground-houston-metro-harrisburg-overpass

The $27 million project will involve construction of a 2,400-linear-foot grade separation at the Houston Belt and Terminal (HBT) and Union Pacific Railroad (UPRR) railroad tracks located west of Hughes Road. It will include a bridge structure with aesthetic architectural features, two 16-foot wide vehicular traffic lanes, a 26-foot LRT guideway located in the center of the bridge structure, and two 5-foot wide emergency walkways on each side of the bridge. The project will also include aesthetic street lighting on top and underneath the structure, new storm drainage and 16-foot wide frontage roads and sidewalks with at-grade crossings over the HBT/UPRR railroad tracks. The overpass is set to be complete in only 12 months.

http://www.constructionbusinessowner.com/news/mccarthy-breaks-ground-houston-metro-harrisburg-overpass

The $27 million project will involve construction of a 2,400-linear-foot grade separation at the Houston Belt and Terminal (HBT) and Union Pacific Railroad (UPRR) railroad tracks located west of Hughes Road. It will include a bridge structure with aesthetic architectural features, two 16-foot wide vehicular traffic lanes, a 26-foot LRT guideway located in the center of the bridge structure, and two 5-foot wide emergency walkways on each side of the bridge. The project will also include aesthetic street lighting on top and underneath the structure, new storm drainage and 16-foot wide frontage roads and sidewalks with at-grade crossings over the HBT/UPRR railroad tracks. The overpass is set to be complete in only 12 months.

Apparently its being done by "McCarthy's Texas Divison" which did grade separation on Wellborn Rd. in College Station. If thats the case they will do a good job. The one they did on Wellborn came out very nicely.

• Like 1

"Emergency walkways"--people in other parts of the world call them sidewalks.   :D

• 3 weeks later...

so the 'official' ribbon cutting is at 3 and 3:30 for these two lines, does that mean if I wanted to hop on one I can't until after 3, or just that this is the 'official' start?

I believe I read in one of Metro's press releases that the new lines will be open for business at 7AM, and that folks wouldn't have to wait until the official kickoff to ride them. 

• Like 1

I believe I read in one of Metro's press releases that the new lines will be open for business at 7AM, and that folks wouldn't have to wait until the official kickoff to ride them. 

Good because I'm sure Metro would be late to their own shindig and make us wait forever :P

I rode the Red line to the very narrow N/S Central Station (bad decision), then walked to the Theater District Station while the massive crowd of people flocked to the Eastbound Central Station. I rode the Green first, then the Purple.

While retuning to downtown on the Green Line, I disembarked at Convention Center Station to switch to the Purple Line (EaDo was too crowded). The speakers at WB Convention Center Station are way too loud!

When the Purple Line reached Palm Center, we were all asked to get off and wait for another train to reverse direction. Shortly after our previous empty train took off for the train garage, a new empty train arrived for us.

The Green Line had some riders and the Purple Line was pretty full, but the most crowded train I rode was the already existing Red Line while travelling towards downtown and the Green/Purple lines.

Edited by PeopleAreStrange

Does anyone know if, once they get the full order of new trams, will the lines cross over to the red line and vice versa without passengers having to get off to change stations? I know it sounds lazy but walking a full block to change lines is pretty dumb.

Edited by BigFootsSocks

nah BFS. it IS dumb. METRO really screwed up with the whole Central Station thing. from the failed original "design contest", to not putting the green/purple line stations on a block immediately next to Central Station, to not putting 2 separate stations on the outside of the tracks where the vehicle lanes currently are (obviously getting rid of those), to double the capacity of Central Station.

seriously though.. they should at least look into that last idea. there are doors on both sides of the trains, correct? just have people board and exit on the outside of the trains at Central Station, instead of the inside.

icing on the cake would be tunneling connections between Central Station and the 2 "neighboring" stations on the green/purple lines with escalators bringing people up to street level in the middle of the platforms.

• Like 2

You know I thought the same thing Cloud713... do you think closing that block of street would make sense? Like make that one giant station where people just enter and exit the sation

They're already closing a significant chunk of main. They might as well close that off too.

I mean, they have those curves in place for a reason, so they might have different trains in place for each line once the new cars are delivered.

Edited by BigFootsSocks

yeahh.. i don't think closing that portion of Main would effect much given the thru traffic is closed by the Main St Square area a few blocks south, and there isn't anything along that block that absolutely needs vehicular access as far as i can tell?

as for the curves.. i heard those were just for transferring trains between the two lines? as far as I've see, any time they use those curves METRO police have to come out and shut down the intersection (which only takes place at night?). maybe I'm wrong, but yeah it would be nice if you didn't have to transfer if you wanted to go to the near north side. if that were the case though, i would have preferred the curves to be going south since there are more attractions down that portion of the line.

• Like 1