River Oaks District: Mixed-Use Development At 4444 Westheimer Rd. & 4702 Westheimer Rd.

On 11/17/2018 at 0:29 PM, dbigtex56 said:

Can't speak for everyone (I don't know everyone), but I've known plenty of people who were thrilled to move into high-rises, and even more thrilled to move out.
Among the reasons: that spectacular view, with its ever-changing tapestry, is a novelty that can wear off rather quickly. I've heard people say "Hell, after the first month, I barely even looked out the windows."
High-rises are buildings in which people commute. After a day of dealing with Houston traffic, many people just want to go home. Instead, there's the parking garage to deal with, the waiting for elevators, the unpredictable stopping and starting on other floors. You're home - but you're not really home. Those extra few minutes can be frustrating.

Then, there's the whole elevator etiquette question. Not everyone enjoys being cheek-to-jowl with strangers who use too much perfume (or not enough, if you get my drift). Awkward silences and awkward conversations aren't for everyone. Situations where multiple people are transporting dogs or armloads of groceries are amusing on sit-coms, but sometimes annoying in real life. Having to make two trips is maddening if it means riding an extra 30 or 40 (or more) floors. If you forget your sunglasses or Chap-Stick, often it's easier to buy replacements than to make that trek again. 
In other words, I'd qualify that "yes".

Interesting.  My experience is the exact opposite.  Every person I know who has moved into a high-rise absolutely loves it and has no interest in moving out. One couple I know moved into an Uptown high-rise "temporarily" while they remodeled their single-family house; they loved  high-rise living so much they ended up staying there and selling their remodeled house.

Getting shorter? Gables Westcreek is 15 stories, so about the same height as The Wilshire. The building(s) to the north looks about the same height and the one fronting San Felipe (which is supposed to be an office building), across from Arabella is about 8, which seems right as RD doesn’t want to obstruct his condo views. These building were always in the plans.

The building(s) in-between gables and the office building are likely the two high-rise apartment buildings referenced in this 4 year old article. 

http://www.olivermcmillan.com/buzz/news/286/tall_buildings_to_rise_near_river_oaks_district

Edited by LBC2HTX

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
17 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

cueiYs0.png

sup girl wanna check out that rooftop bar

peep the planning commission agenda for deets

Wow I like it! Thanks for the post!!! The only thing I wish was different would be the side facing Westheimer...wish they would make that some sort of retail or coffee shop etc instead of a blank wall. 

Edited by gene
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, gene said:

Wow I like it! Thanks for the post!!! The only thing I wish was different would be the side facing Westheimer...wish they would make that some sort of retail or coffee shop etc instead of a blank wall. 

Its a blank wall because the lot that is between this site and westheimer is where phase II of this development will take place which is the apartment building (not exactly a highrise, but taller than a mid-rise). The blank wall makes sense since it will eventually be covered up.

• Like 4

On 5/23/2018 at 2:38 AM, Urbannizer said:

Office component for phase II has been given the axe, hotel begins this Fall

http://www.olivermcmillan.com/places/projects/49/river_oaks_district_phase_ii

screen_shot2018-05-16at1.50.28_p_m.png

screen_shot2018-05-16at1.50.18_p_m.png

screen_shot2018-05-16at1.50.00_p_m.png

This is a reminder of what is going in between Westheimer and new hotel. This will be Phase II.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...