Proposed W Hotel In Uptown

W Hotel  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What Development will Land the "W" in Houston?

• BLVD Place
    • Westcreek - Whatever it's called
    • Highland Village
    • Somewhere else
    • Don't kid yourself. Houston can't support a "W"
    • Downtown (Even though it would be financial suicide

ZKBP - I was looking at the map and was thinking the same thing. Specifically the block bordered by Austin, Caroline, Dallas and Lamar.  Pretty central to venues, attractions and other hotels.  Doesn't quite fit the criteria for the East End Line location.  But...those options are becoming very limited. This also would provide a good view of and from Disco Green.  Would make Embassy Suites fade into the background, I would would bet. Would, also, rquire Four Seasons to up their game.     

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While the service at the Four Seasons in Houston is consistent with their global standards and a 5* property, the facility is not.  The lobby, exterior, grounds, etc are not on the same level with other Four Seasons properties around the U.S.  I think most would agree that a large scale renovation is coming eventually........but a new Ritz in the area would certainly hasten that schedule.

ZKBP - I was looking at the map and was thinking the same thing. Specifically the block bordered by Austin, Caroline, Dallas and Lamar.  Pretty central to venues, attractions and other hotels.  Doesn't quite fit the criteria for the East End Line location.  But...those options are becoming very limited. This also would provide a good view of and from Disco Green.  Would make Embassy Suites fade into the background, I would would bet. Would, also, rquire Four Seasons to up their game.     

I suspect you meant Austin, La Branch, Dallas and Lamar.  Building a W on the block you specified would obviate any need for the Four Seasons to up their game, since it would have to be demolished to allow for a W on its block.  ;-)   

Another good site would be on the remaining land on the block on which the Embassy Suites sits.  Would allow for a cool, creative structure... perfect for a W hotel.

D'oh!  You are right.^^ 

Yes.  Sharing Embassy Suites block will be perfect for another Hotel without sizable banquet facilites due to limited floor size.  This property would also showcase well from Disco Green.  A tall thin W would look great here. W San Fransisco for example...

post-11710-0-00867100-1387312879.png

• 2 months later...

^^ My Points Exactly.  Where else downtown would a 5-Star be appropriate do y'all think?

the International Tower block, on the south side of Market Square (aside from the obvious being by the park, located in the historic district, near plenty of night life, and a block from the light rail, but also its just over a block from the theater district). or if people seriously think they can squeeze a hotel on the block with Embassy Suites, then they could also squeeze a hotel on the plot directly IN discovery green, on the northeast corner that they were talking about eventually building something on since it mainly goes unused. have it be like "The Ritz at/on/in Discovery Green" or something..

as for a W.. how about Uptown Park (if neither of the two remaining parcels at Westcreek turn into a W).. or that new million+ sq ft mixed use development?

I see the W going in around river Oaks / Upper Kirby. Maybe the new Oxy HQ could help sustain the hotel too, but Kirby area is close enough to "uptown" galleria area and to downtown that it would get some residual from those areas. I don't think Upper Kirby has a big hotel anyway. With visitors to residents in River Oaks, I think a hotel like the W could thrive. the only thing sort of lacking is offices in Upper Kirby, and that is starting to change with Hines San Felipe tower and an expanded greenway plaza

I see the W going in around river Oaks / Upper Kirby. Maybe the new Oxy HQ could help sustain the hotel too, but Kirby area is close enough to "uptown" galleria area and to downtown that it would get some residual from those areas. I don't think Upper Kirby has a big hotel anyway. With visitors to residents in River Oaks, I think a hotel like the W could thrive. the only thing sort of lacking is offices in Upper Kirby, and that is starting to change with Hines San Felipe tower and an expanded greenway plaza

Now a Ritz downtown would make sense...

And one of those "duck hotel brands from memphis" would make sense in Uptown or the new River Oaks District.

Midtown would be a good option. It tends to be a youthful brand and midtown has no hotels. I think it would be the anchor to nightlife in the area and close enough to downtown to attract business travelers. W Dallas is outside the CBD and does well.

W Dallas is outside the CBD and does well.

The W in Dallas is in victory park, which is basically uptown.. The hottest sub market in Dallas by far... There's no comparison between that location and midtown. I agree with the other points you were saying about midtown, but I could think of a handful of other places it would be in before midtown..

There is still so much potential in Midtown that there's no comparison to Uptown Dallas. I'm all for city planning, which Houston is finally beginning to initiate little by little. The problem is that Dallas over plans and over thinks every little thing they build that there is absolutely no organic development within their neighborhoods. I use to live about an hour away from Dallas a few years ago, and one thing I noticed is the culture is so drastically different between Htown and Dallas. Though both cities have some similarities, they are so different. One thing about Houston is we have such a natural style, we have a very big city feel. Nothing stereotypical Texas about Houston. Dallas has the more conventional, Texas stereotype, which they embrace. I won't lie though, Dallas is so lame, mainly because the people are so unoriginal and that translates in to how they build. 

I am as quick to bash Dallas as the next person, but the above is a bit silly and kind of pointless. They have a slick modern W, and we can't even get one off the ground. That area of Dallas couldn't have been built at a worse time (ala Green Street), but with time it will become what it was planned for. Dallas has vision, and Dallas gets better architecture when it comes to residential and hotel towers. Austin really has the crown in that respect.

One thing about Dallas - ground floor retail all over the place in Uptown.

Houston - still trying to split the atom.

and how much of that retail is sitting vacant or partially if not wholly subsidized by the office/residential/hotel component? i'll tell you - a bunch of it. dense ground floor retail makes urbanists pants bulge but it rarely makes economic sense. i've spoken to developer after developer and they all say the same thing - if they can subsidize it as an amenity to the major component of the development then they will consider it but by itself it is typically a money loser.

example: i was in austin a couple of weekends ago on 2nd street near the W eating dinner with some of my friends that live there. while the restaurants and bars typically do well i asked about the stores. they said many stores shutter or move within 9-12 months because rent is too high and there's absolutely NO PARKING. succesful pedestrian level retail requires a critical mass of residents and i'm sorry but that just doesn't exist in cities like Houston and Dallas and Austin.

btw W is still supposedly kicking tires for a houston location.

and how much of that retail is sitting vacant or partially if not wholly subsidized by the office/residential/hotel component? i'll tell you - a bunch of it. dense ground floor retail makes urbanists pants bulge but it rarely makes economic sense. i've spoken to developer after developer and they all say the same thing - if they can subsidize it as an amenity to the major component of the development then they will consider it but by itself it is typically a money loser.

example: i was in austin a couple of weekends ago on 2nd street near the W eating dinner with some of my friends that live there. while the restaurants and bars typically do well i asked about the stores. they said many stores shutter or move within 9-12 months because rent is too high and there's absolutely NO PARKING. succesful pedestrian level retail requires a critical mass of residents and i'm sorry but that just doesn't exist in cities like Houston and Dallas and Austin.

That's why I put the last two quotes in my signature - good reminders.

But good to know the success of GFretail vs. GFrestaurants.

It's also possibly a good argument for the city building more underground parking.

• 3 weeks later...

A little "W Hotel" talk today in HBJ today.

QUOTE: Branded residences, condos that are situated on top of premium hotels and use the hotels’ amenities such as those at the W Hotel in Austin, are doing well in Texas' metro markets, but have yet to call Houston home. It won’t be a trend for Houston, but will likely crop up in the near future in hot spots such as the Galleria area and downtown, Thomsen said. UNQUOTE

http://www.bizjourna...areas-will.html

What does this mean 'kicking tires'

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What's the history of this thread? It was originally placed in "Going Up" but since removed and placed in "General Houston Discussions" instead?

Vote approved for downtown.

Edit: The W proposal for Uptown (Either BLVD Place or High Street.) Designed by Heights Venture Architects.

PWBu6Lh.png

• The title was changed to Proposed W Hotel In Uptown

Archived