Proposed W Hotel In Uptown

W Hotel  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What Development will Land the "W" in Houston?

• BLVD Place
    • Westcreek - Whatever it's called
    • Highland Village
    • Somewhere else
    • Don't kid yourself. Houston can't support a "W"
    • Downtown (Even though it would be financial suicide

I've been told by a reliable little bird that it is on hold indefinitely.

Perhaps this bird?

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...ry1.html?page=2

The River Oaks District ranks as the most ambitious mixed-use deal announced in recent times.

OliverMcMillan LLC of San Diego, a notable mixed-use developer, revealed plans in August 2007 for a $600 million project on Westheimer, where a portion of the Westcreek Apartments are located.

The 15-acre project was designed to have two luxury hotels with 500 guest rooms and 150 condominiums; a 250,000-square-foot office building; 300 apartments; and 350,000 square feet of upscale retail stores.

Construction was supposed to start at the end of 2008, but there has been no indication that work will begin any time soon. OliverMcMillan executives could not be reached for comment.

Aside from that, didn't the owners of the complex refinance the property within the past month or so?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But for what it's worth...Oliver McMillan still has it on their website and the company leasing the retail still has it listed in their current projects. But then again, CBRE still has High Street listed and that company doing Hardy Yards does too, muahahaha, lol! :P

I can't find High Street listed on CBRE's website. Not sure if I'm looking in the right place. Can you provide a link?

• 4 weeks later...
Actually, no. The apartments that got refinanced are Westcreek at River Oaks, just to the north of OliverMcMillan's site.

Don't the Westcreek at River Oaks Apts come all the way down to Westheimer? If so, part of them are indeed on OliverMcMillan's site. (And I believe the parts of Westcreek at River Oaks to the north of Bettis were included in "future phases" on the early plats of River Oaks District)

Don't the Westcreek at River Oaks Apts come all the way down to Westheimer?

Nope. It only looks like it goes the whole distance, but there are actually two different leasing offices. I used to know someone who lived there, and they mentioned that it happened a few years ago.

Nope. It only looks like it goes the whole distance, but there are actually two different leasing offices. I used to know someone who lived there, and they mentioned that it happened a few years ago.

huh. Any chance you know the name of the one that comes down to Westheimer? Did they make them part of Westcreek Highland Village?

huh. Any chance you know the name of the one that comes down to Westheimer? Did they make them part of Westcreek Highland Village?

No one saves informs us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path of Buddha Google, Inc.

I've searched this thread for a press release or other official statement from Starwood Hotels regarding Starwood's intent to build a W (not aloft) hotel in Houston. I can't find one. Can someone here please advise me on where to find such a statement?

I've searched this thread for a press release or other official statement from Starwood Hotels regarding Starwood's intent to build a W (not aloft) hotel in Houston. I can't find one. Can someone here please advise me on where to find such a statement?

There isn't an official press release regarding a W in Houston. People made these assumptions by the scope of the project and the renderings released by the developer.

This would have been a really neat concept, but it seemed very ambitious.

There isn't an official press release regarding a W in Houston. People made these assumptions by the scope of the project and the renderings released by the developer.

This would have been a really neat concept, but it seemed very ambitious.

This project was real, was actually awarded to a construction management firm to build, and collapsed due to lack of financing. The hotels have backed out, and this project is on life support, probably never to be built.

It was set to break ground this upcoming September.

Actually, some others have changed. Whoever it was that owned the Ritz-Carlton in Houston also owned a couple others (I specifically remember the Washington DC one). They all changed from Ritz-Carlton to other chains at about the same time. (I believe the old Ritz-Carlton in DC is now maybe a Westin? I don't remember all the details, but I believe Ritz-Carlton pulled their flag and the hotels ended up being sold... perhaps Starwood bought them.

Ritz-Carlton pulled its name and management of four hotels owned by Al Anwa USA Inc at the stroke of midnight on August 3, 1997 after a two-year dispute over the standards and quality of the hotels. The hotels were in New York, Aspen, Washington DC and Houston. By August 19th, Al Anwa USA selected ITT to manage the hotels and they were rebranded under the Luxury Collection name. Al Anwa USA sold the properties to Starwood Hotels and Resorts in January of 1998 and the Houston property was rebranded a St. Regis Hotel.

• 1 month later...

But for what it's worth...Oliver McMillan still has it on their website and the company leasing the retail still has it listed in their current projects. But then again, CBRE still has High Street listed and that company doing Hardy Yards does too, muahahaha, lol! :P

Hi All - Lockmat is right. It is on hold indefinitely. Pretty much everything of this size is on hold until there are banks willing to lend. If you didn't start construction last year - chances are you aren't going to start in 2009.

Too bad - this is a nice project.

• 9 months later...

The W was recently being discussed in another forum. Someone was asking why Houston doesn't have one.

Just spoke to someone about the W this morning. The W is a done deal and will be in Houston with construction starting within the next 2 years. Location is finalized, but the design is still in the works, in fact drawings have not yet begun as far as I know.

So... I guess financing fell through?

And is this version of the W what happened instead? http://www.starwoodh...X_PP_AH_3127_TX

I know the W is pretty cool news coming to Houston, but there is another project that is in the works is going to be even more awesome if it goes through.

What was the "even more awesome" project?

The W was recently being discussed in another forum. Someone was asking why Houston doesn't have one.

And is this version of the W what happened instead? http://www.starwoodh...X_PP_AH_3127_TX

The W hotel is gone and if it gets built it will be years before it happens. Funding killed the project. Too bad since it was going to be really great.

The biger project was an 89 floor tower set to go in at Richmond and 610 next to Williams Tower. It was being funded by a company in Dubai but again the funding killed the project.

Thisis old news I thought every knew about this a year ago.

A bit late but...

The awesome project that he and many talked about around the boomimg times was probably the high-rise tower (tallest-in-world-or-at-least-USA type) that was suppose to be built just south of Galleria. It was suppose to ruin the Galleria skyline wacko.gif ...but it did go anywhere.

Could of also been the fancy high-rise condo complex by Williams (Turnberry), which was also canceled.

I heard Dallas was getting a Mandarian Oriental Hotel, a 42-Story Luxury Residential High-Rise called Museum Tower, human activity in the Victory complex and the Cowpaddies were going the Super Bowl too.

Yes. Let us stop this madness. At least until the banks are ready to start lending again. The cowgirls fans will always be hopeless tho.

I heard Dallas was getting a Mandarian Oriental Hotel, a 42-Story Luxury Residential High-Rise called Museum Tower, human activity in the Victory complex and the Cowpaddies were going the Super Bowl too.

Yes. Let us stop this madness. At least until the banks are ready to start lending again. The cowgirls fans will always be hopeless tho.

He wasn't knocking Houston, but knocking the absurdity of those still waiting on this project.

Edit: Geeez, I don't know what's happening to my replies. Either nothing shows up, or I can't see what I'm typing.

Hey, I heard Houston is getting 3 W Hotels, a Ritz Carlton, a Mandarin Hotel, and even a couple of Four Seasons. I also heard all of them will be served by light rail subway stations. . .It must be true, Huh? :rolleyes:

STOP the madness, already.

LOL!

• 3 years later...

This thread popped up out of the blue. Is there something going here?

False alarm. Someone just voted in the poll. You would think a W hotel would open up in Houston soon enough. Don't know why they aren't here yet. Uptown is their perfect market.

• 2 weeks later...

With business booming, the population exploding, and money flowing, I find it really hard to believe that someone hasn't taken a chance on a W Hotel, Mandarin Oriental, Ritz-Carlton, Taj, or Fairmont type of hotel/condo venture. 

With business booming, the population exploding, and money flowing, I find it really hard to believe that someone hasn't taken a chance on a W Hotel, Mandarin Oriental, Ritz-Carlton, Taj, or Fairmont type of hotel/condo venture. 

And don't forget about the big event in 2017. Maybe we should send them an email letting them know how SUPER everything is going in Houston.

Archived